RedRamage

The "official" How Hot is Schwartz Seat now? thread

Let's remember that Whisenhunt was supposed to turn that Cards team over to Matt Leinert, but after Warner outplayed him in preseason, he went with the QB who looked better in games. Warner was brought in to AZ by Denny Green, so Whisenhunt had no stake in him at all, but believed what his eyes told him. History has looked kindly on this decision, but I'm sure it wasn't an easy one to make, and probably wouldn't have happened had Schwartz (or most other coaches) been calling the shots. I don't know how much Whis had to do with drafting Leinert, but worst case scenario he didn't play the 1st rounder just because. I'm not sure that Whisenhunt's the right guy, but he's near the top of my list.

I meant, but failed, to say that Whisenhunt didn't play Leinert (Leinart? sp?) simply b/c he was a 1st rounder; he played the best player, regardless of expectations.

Two other things: 1) Ok, I'll own it: I want Whisenhunt. He won a Superbowl with Cowher (and who wouldn't want a coach that cut his teeth with the Steelers? Seriously -- we said when we fired Millen that we wanted to be like the Steelers -- great, let's go get one of theirs!) and took the Cardinals to a SuperBowl, something that no human has ever come close to doing in recorded history. And they played in what was probably the greatest game in SuperBowl history. And Rivers looks like a different (and better) player this year, looks like he has regained his confidence, which is exactly what Stafford seems to have lost. 2) We should have kept Kickalicious. I'm not even kidding. Watching Akers struggle this year was both predictable and agonizing. Kickalicious played better in the preseason. Akers played exactly the way he did in preseason, no reason to think that Rugland wouldn't have done the same. Hell, I'd like to give him another shot this offseason.

The Lions are a great destination for several reasons.

They don't need to draft a QB.

They have the best WR on the planet, & young talent on the OL.

They have a solid DL.

In the front office, they have a hands off culture. Hire people, leave them alone & let them do their job. That's a huge plus for any coach coming in.

On the down side, they suck at hiring the RIGHT people.

For the record, the Lions actually paid for 51% of Ford Field while Detroit taxpayers paid the rest. History has shown that coming to this team is a graveyard for a career. One could say you are correct that for the first time in what seems like forever, there's 'more talent' here than there has been in a long time, which makes it attractive.

But one particularly irritating thing that was mentioned by Lewan in the press conference was that the owners were in on every decision made with regard to personnel and staff. Not sure if it's just pertaining to staff, or also to the draft picks and free agents. But maybe the 'Ford Family' would be better off letting the guys they hired to run the team, RUN THE TEAM without any interference. That might turn off a potential hire.

I'm not sure how all the other teams function. Maybe every owner in the league is involved, maybe they're not.

FWIW, I didn't say anything about who paid for the stadium, just that it was modern. I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain that the Fords are cheap, though.

Regarding the involvement of the Fords in making decisions, I would hope that the owner of any franchise I root for is deeply involved in decisions regarding senior personnel and is completely uninvolved in decisions regarding junior personnel.

My sense of the Ford family's failure with the Lions is that they have not established a clear line of accountability. Who is in charge at the executive level - Senior or Junior? Seems like it changes from season to season. Who is in charge at the club level - Lewand or Mayhew? Who is in charge on draft day - in the past, was it scouting or Millen, when the former wanted to draft Quentin Jammer and the latter went all in for Joey Harrington; today is it Mayhew or Xanders?

It is no surprise that in this environment Schwartz got away with five seasons of 0.377 football saying "we're only a play away".

On the down side, they suck at hiring the RIGHT people.

And they take a very, very, very long time to fire the wrong people.