Shinma

9/8/13. Vikings @ Lions. 1:05pm. Fox. Week 1! Home/Season opener!

Fine... definitely. If it's a suspension I'm going to be royally pissed off. I don't think the play was any worse than any number of other personal fouls that happen in the a game.

I agree here, it really should only be a fine. A suspension would make this look like a witch hunt.

I tend to agree that it was the right call given the rule, but I'm not sure why you say he 'cost himself'. Are you saying he did something in particular that ended up costing him the TD? Or is it just that he didn't totally secure the ball and that's how it 'cost' him. Just wondering because the way you word this makes it sound like CJ decided to do something that ended if he'd done X instead of Z he could have had the TD.

I meant that had he simply tucked the ball in, then it's a TD. He felt the need to reach out and basically land on the ball with most of his weight, when he didn't need to. His momentum was easily carrying him into the end zone.

Cruz was going to the ground in the act of making the catch. He hadn't completed the catch, he didn't have two feet down. He hadn't demonstrated anymore control over the football for any length of time then CJ had. They both had the ball in hand, both lunged towards the endzone, both lost control as the ball hit the ground. The only difference is one had a defender on him. But I've read before that it doesn't matter if you're going to the ground on your own or "with the help" of a defender. You still need to complete the process of the catch, and Cruz never did.

If CJ's isn't a TD (which according to the [stupid] rule I think is the correct) then Cruz's isn't a TD either.

Cruz went up to catch the ball, and would never have gone down had he not been stood up by the defender. He then made an additional "football move" (a term I hate) to lunge for the end zone. That's my take. Maybe it's not completely cut and dried, but I see them as two different types of plays.

Should Pettigrew start to worry about his job given that Fauria appeared to play pretty well, and Pettigrew... well... didn't?

My brother said this last night: Would anyone play Pettigrew if he always kept two hands on the ball when running with it? Even if it slowed him down? This is one of those things where if you fumble a few times, opposing teams starting to know you're fumble prone and attack you all the more for it.

Scheffler has more to worry about than Pettigrew - different positions.

That was simultaneously one of the worst games I have seen the Lions play and one of the better ones. It was weird them over coming all the 'calls' in the first half.

The NFL is very quickly becoming a joke for me. The way games are called....it is a joke all over the league. The Lions make a great play and end up in the end zone...I have to sit and wait for about 5 minutes before I can celebrate or groan...and most times I am groaning. The first TD to CJ...I KNEW SOMETHING was going to happen. The announcers are all crooning over the TD and I am just thinking this is not a TD. That was BEFORE I saw the replay...I just knew they were over turning that....on the flip side the Bell TD where he dove I thought for sure was NOT a TD and they rule it was. The long run by Bush...I was just sitting there waiting for a flag. I could not even enjoy the fact he just had a GREAT run because I am waiting for a flag. The play is over, no flag and now I cannot even enjoy the play because it is long over.

I am beginning to hate the NFL.

Sundays are and have always been (since I was about 13) about football...all day. There have been maybe 5 games I missed in the past 24 years or so...I watched every game of the 0-16 year...I have seen it all, but the way they officiate the games HAS to change IMO.

That was simultaneously one of the worst games I have seen the Lions play and one of the better ones. It was weird them over coming all the 'calls' in the first half.

The NFL is very quickly becoming a joke for me. The way games are called....it is a joke all over the league. The Lions make a great play and end up in the end zone...I have to sit and wait for about 5 minutes before I can celebrate or groan...and most times I am groaning. The first TD to CJ...I KNEW SOMETHING was going to happen. The announcers are all crooning over the TD and I am just thinking this is not a TD. That was BEFORE I saw the replay...I just knew they were over turning that....on the flip side the Bell TD where he dove I thought for sure was NOT a TD and they rule it was. The long run by Bush...I was just sitting there waiting for a flag. I could not even enjoy the fact he just had a GREAT run because I am waiting for a flag. The play is over, no flag and now I cannot even enjoy the play because it is long over.

I am beginning to hate the NFL.

Sundays are and have always been (since I was about 13) about football...all day. There have been maybe 5 games I missed in the past 24 years or so...I watched every game of the 0-16 year...I have seen it all, but the way they officiate the games HAS to change IMO.

I agree that rules and infinite replays are souring the NFL experience. Several rule changes are intended to protect the NFL against future lawsuits. Play and touchdown reviews have gotten out of hand, and cut into the flow of a game that already has a lot of downtime built into it.

Fine... definitely. If it's a suspension I'm going to be royally pissed off. I don't think the play was any worse than any number of other personal fouls that happen in the a game.

I imagine the only reason there is talk of suspension is because he is a repeat offender.

Edited by sagnam

You know, I just watched the highlights again, and I didn't notice this before, and I haven't seen anyone mention it, especially the network talking heads who are in AD's jock.

On Peterson's 78-yard TD run, there was a BLATANT hold by Jerome Simpson on Chris Houston. At the Vikings' 42-yard line, Houston starts cutting the angle to get to Peterson, and Simpson grabs Houston's sleeve and holds on long enough to cut off the pursuit.

That play should have come back, as Houston had a decent shot at slowing him down.

Edited by LineCrosser
to remove Kool-Aid stained over-exaggeration

You know, I just watched the highlights again, and I didn't notice this before, and I haven't seen anyone mention it, especially the network talking heads who are in AD's jock.

On Peterson's 78-yard TD run, there was a BLATANT hold by Jerome Simpson on Chris Houston. At the Vikings' 42-yard line, Houston starts cutting the angle to get to Peterson, and Simpson grabs Houston's sleeve and holds on for dear life.

That play should have come back, as Houston had a decent shot at slowing him down.

Every NFL play has holding -- it's just a matter of who gets caught.

All this being said' date=' I'd be all in favor of releasing Scheffler this week.[/quote']

I would dump Pettigrew before Scheffler. Pettigrew has gone from a kid with a lot of promise 2 seasons ago to a complete liability. I think his confidence is completely shot and i doubt that he gets it back, time to cut bait.

Scheffler is at least somewhat dependable down the field and doesn't commit the awful penalties that Pettigrew does. I think the Lions will be fine with Scheffler and Fauria as their 1-2 punch at tight end.

I actually like a lot of Mayhew's free agency moves but man, he's turning into an awful drafter with his 2nd-4th picks. Best, Young, LeShoure, Pettigrew and now Broyles (i'm sure that i'm missing a few), all complete busts.

I still have faint hope for Broyles but 2 ACL surgeries is a lot to overcome especially for a slot receiver who depends on making sharp cuts. If healthy, i think he could be one of the better slot receivers in the league but that's a huge if.

On Peterson's 78-yard TD run, there was a BLATANT hold by Jerome Simpson on Chris Houston. At the Vikings' 42-yard line, Houston starts cutting the angle to get to Peterson, and Simpson grabs Houston's sleeve and holds on for dear life.

I'll watch it real quick. I probably missed it the first two times because I was laughing at Slay's attempt to plug the hole.

I'll watch it real quick. I probably missed it the first two times because I was laughing at Slay's attempt to plug the hole.

Slay looked terrible -- hopefully there's a lot of room for him to improve.

dygy8ady.jpg

He did let go right away and his body screened the play. Seems like a typical "block" that technically should be called a hold but never does get called.

EDIT: I forgot to include that I agree that This hold probably prevents Houston from getting a shot to disrupt the run.

Edited by sagnam

dygy8ady.jpg

He did let go right away and his body screened the play. Seems like a typical "block" that technically should be called a hold but never does get called.

If you're up on a body and grabbing close, I understand it being a no-call. But grabbing an arm, and leaning back while stopping the pursuer's forward motion seems egregious to me.

Or maybe I'm just wearing the blue goggles.

Also, nobody here should be defending the Suh play. Besides the fact that he could have ended the guy's career with a hit like that, he was nowhere near the play. Hell, Levy was just about in the end zone already when Suh made the block. If he felt like he needed to make a play, he should have gone shoulder to shoulder with him, with Suh's strength, that would have been enough to knock him down.

This just seems to be a pattern with Suh. All the physical gifts in the world but a ten cent brain. If he ever gets his head screwed on straight, he could be a Hall of Famer but i'm not sure that he has it in him to reign it in completely.

If you're up on a body and grabbing close, I understand it being a no-call. But grabbing an arm, and leaning back while stopping the pursuer's forward motion seems egregious to me.

I did say it should be called but never is. I think you always see these with WRs blocking where they grab the jersey as the defense is attempting to separate. I think they tend to let those go if the blocker lets go, even if it prevents the defender from making the play.

On Peterson's 78-yard TD run, there was a BLATANT hold by Jerome Simpson on Chris Houston. At the Vikings' 42-yard line, Houston starts cutting the angle to get to Peterson, and Simpson grabs Houston's sleeve and holds on long enough to cut off the pursuit.

I saw that right away. I am becoming desensitized to non calls and BS calls. It has ALWAYS been my assertion that you can throw a flag on EVERY play in the NFL for something. Sometimes they eat the flag (oh we just didn't see it-BS) and sometimes the flags are flying. I hate it.

It has come to the point where I just expect a flag every play which numbs my excitement. I hope gambling is not ruining this game...it feels like it is sometimes.

One more point about the issues with process rule. The reason it's there isn't to take TDs away from Calvin Johnson, though it is highly effective at doing that, it's to try to prevent questionable fumbles everywhere else. If a guy firmly catches the ball in both hands and is crushed by two defenders as his toes touch the ground should that really be a fumble? What if the same guy is untouched but the ball squirts free when he lands on the ground? Fumble? What if the guy gets lucky and the ball doesn't bounce away but instead lands under him? Catch?

One more point about the issues with process rule. The reason it's there isn't to take TDs away from Calvin Johnson, though it is highly effective at doing that, it's to try to prevent questionable fumbles everywhere else. If a guy firmly catches the ball in both hands and is crushed by two defenders as his toes touch the ground should that really be a fumble? What if the same guy is untouched but the ball squirts free when he lands on the ground? Fumble? What if the guy gets lucky and the ball doesn't bounce away but instead lands under him? Catch?

I would say in most of the cases you mentioned, I'd be ok considering them fumbles. I think it makes more sense than a player firmly grabbing the ball, taking 2 steps and extending, but then losing control when the ball hits the ground be considered not a catch. To put it another way, I know it's not the rule, but if Johnson did that at the 30, reaching for a first down, and the Vikings picked it up, I think it makes more sense to call it a catch and fumble rather than an incomplete pass.

I would say in most of the cases you mentioned, I'd be ok considering them fumbles. I think it makes more sense than a player firmly grabbing the ball, taking 2 steps and extending, but then losing control when the ball hits the ground be considered not a catch. To put it another way, I know it's not the rule, but if Johnson did that at the 30, reaching for a first down, and the Vikings picked it up, I think it makes more sense to call it a catch and fumble rather than an incomplete pass.

But, in that situation, you can be sure that every fan who thought yesterday's was a catch would be in this forum crying for it to be called an incomplete pass. :silly:

I don't agree but I respect that opinion.

I saw it too and I'm glad you brought it up. It was pretty blatant in my opinion and I'm surprised that the announcers didn't comment on it.

9uag-ClYRMs

Agreed!... :dead: EDITED: Sorry guys. Didnt see the whole video. Should have known someone would be on it already.

Edited by knoxvegas