hail2mich

GDT: Notre Dame at Michigan 9/7/2013

Gardner played better against ND than he did against CMU, and he did it in the face of greatly increased pressure.

Agreed.

I also think Borges finally came through with a good gameplan that put DG in some situations where he could excel.

Agreed.

I also think Borges finally came through with a good gameplan that put DG in some situations where he could excel.

I tend to think Borges was unfairly criticized last season. He pretty much had to run the offense around Denard and his limitations. When he went down he had a first year QB. And the OL had some pretty weak links. This is the first season he's had to go through two camps preparing for the kind of offense he wants to run.

I agree. Problem was that Denard can't throw a lick so you had to use his running ability to it's fullest extent. The optimal arrangement, which finally occurred, was to have Gardner at QB and DR as slash back. But I don't see how you tell DR....hey bud you can't cut it at QB so we're replacing you and you get to be slash back. DR didn't improve from his best year as sophomore where he worked out of the spread and did fairly well throwing the ball. But Hoke and Co. wisely didn't attempt to mimic RichRod's scheme....especially since they didn't believe in it.

Rees made a lot of unforced misses, M will need better pressure to beat a better passer. But the mark of good college coaching is improvement through the season and I think Hoke is a good coach with a good staff.

But that's exactly who Rees is. Give him enough rope, he will hang himself with it. The coaches knew this, and IMO, their gameplan was keep everything in front of you and make him throw the ball 50 times and he will make mistakes. For the majority of the game, the M defense didn't blitz and the safeties played 15-20 yards off the line. They were not going to get beat over the top. With a more accurate passer, I believe they will bring more pressure from many different looks.

Rees is a decent college quarterback, and probably the best one they will see until November, at the earliest. Even then, you are looking at unnamed msu QB, Simeon/colter, Martinez, and miller. Nine of those guys are accomplished passers.

This is a down year for quarterbacks in the big ten.

I think the game plan worked out just fine, and it also helped that we never trailed or needed to make something happen, so to speak.

UM played six in the box. The problem with the Irish is they didn't run more.... the yards were there for the taking. UM interior line couldn't do squat against ND. Instead he threw a bunch of short passes that netted them a lot of yards but over 50 attempts. And he was inaccurate often. Compared to Gardner who was surgical. How many times was Gallon wearing an ND defender? This would have been a loss with DR at the helm. Just defend the run which ND proved they could do.

This was a feel good win, if there ever was one. Tempered only by a couple of really bad plays by Gardner, and maybe a little by the Dline's non-existance.

Devin Gardner is infinitely better at QB than Denard Robinson. By "infinitely" I mean "infinity times infinity plus one".

Listening to a ND fan complain about the Michigan stadium noise. I said, "yeah, its a huge advantage, in life you always want to have a huge advantage when you do something."

Rees is a decent college quarterback, and probably the best one they will see until November, at the earliest. Even then, you are looking at unnamed msu QB, Simeon/colter, Martinez, and miller. Nine of those guys are accomplished passers.

I think the game plan worked out just fine, and it also helped that we never trailed or needed to make something happen, so to speak.

Was thinking maybe the PSU kid could catch lightning in a bottle, but otherwise I was going to say the same thing: Rees is probably the best "passer" they'll see all year. Maybe Simeon's better. Maybe.

Reading some of Hoke's and Mattison's transcripts, taking away the big passes to the WRs was definitely the plan. They seemed willing to allow the hitch to stop the deep fades, and they seemed *mildly* ok with the DL not going all-out after Rees in order to not have to commit an extra to stop the run. I also think they felt Rees and Kelly were excellent on the quick throws on pressure so they didn't want (or need as you said) pursue that questionable risk-reward strategy.

That said, I don't think anybody was thrilled with the pass rush on obvious passing downs. But, ND has a very good OL.