#14 Notre Dame v. #17 Michigan

MichiganLogo_zps9ced623c.png

Day: Saturday

Date: September 7, 2013

Time: 8:00 PM EST

TV: ESPN

Series Record: Michigan leads 23-16-1

Last Meeting: Notre Dame won 13-6 last season

Last Week: Notre Dame defeated Temple, 28-6. Michigan defeated Central Michigan, 59-9.

Remember the Magic?

03iHQdJATHE

Brought To You By (for one last time):

9649642590_1407709d8f.jpg

Edited by hail2mich

After last year's disappointment, all the hoopla around ND, and this being the last game between these two for the foreseeable future, I want this game so bad.

Go Blue!

Edited by hail2mich

Brian Kelly says he doesn't view UM as a rivalry game. He should just shut the hell up. His school has decided to chicken out of the rivalry, I have no respect for them anymore.

I think UM's defense is going to give turnover Tommy Reese fits. Should be a great game. UM wins.

Brian Kelly says he doesn't view UM as a rivalry game. He should just shut the hell up. His school has decided to chicken out of the rivalry, I have no respect for them anymore.

I think UM's defense is going to give turnover Tommy Reese fits. Should be a great game. UM wins.

I couldn't stand Kelly at GVSU and hated when his name was mentioned during the Michigan coaching search. I don't know about him and the rivalry but ND students/area pretty much hate Michigan with a rivalry like passion.

Humm...

So last time this went down like this (Under Lights I) I wound up having a bunch of Jack during the game. Again?

Michigan–Notre Dame football rivalry

After Notre Dame defeated Michigan in 1909, the two teams were scheduled to rematch on November 5, 1910. Before the 1910 contest, Yost protested Notre Dame's intended use of two players (Philbrook and Dimmick) that he believed were ineligible and cancelled the 1910 meeting when Notre Dame did not bench the two players in question. [21] Yost later refused to schedule Notre Dame for any later seasons, deepening the feud between Yost and Notre Dame coach Knute Rockne. After cancelling the series, Yost was instrumental in corralling together the member schools of the Western Conference (the current day Big Ten Conference), refusing entry to Notre Dame and suggesting that conference members should not schedule the Fighting Irish. As a result of the boycott by Midwest opponents, Notre Dame scheduled games against schools on the east coast and west coast, such as USC and Army, and did not play Michigan again until 1942.[4]

Fielding H. Yost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arguably, no one has left a larger mark on University of Michigan athletics and varsity football than Fielding Yost. A longtime football coach and athletic director, his career was marked with great achievements both on and off the field. Yost was also a successful business person, lawyer, author, and a leading figure in pioneering the explosion of college football into a national phenomenon. A devout Christian, he nevertheless was among the first coaches to allow Jewish players on his teams, including Joe Magidsohn and Benny Friedman. However, Murray Sperber's book Shake Down the Thunder places principal responsibility for the Big Ten blackballing and boycotting of Notre Dame on Yost, as well as the charge that this was motivated by anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant prejudice common in the early 20th century. Although John Kyrk's book Natural Enemies points out that there was a bitter feud between Yost and Knute Rockne, head coach of the Notre Dame football team.

I had no clue about this stuff.

Tell me UM isn't wearing stupid alternate jerseys again.

They are not. The only thing they are doing is a player will wear Harmon's 98.

I have a bad feeling about this game. UM has a weakness at pass rush and a weakness in the interior line. If Rees isn't pressured, he can be an ok QB. And ND's strength is their interior line. I don't think this is a great match up for Michigan.

On the other hand, they're playing at home so they should get some momentum from that. I think UM loses a squeaker.

As for Kelly, everyone knows he's a jerk. But don't worry, he'll be off to the pros very soon.

I don't frequent these parts much, but just wanted to my 1/50th of a dollar for this week. **** Notre Dame.

I have a bad feeling about this game. UM has a weakness at pass rush and a weakness in the interior line. If Rees isn't pressured, he can be an ok QB. And ND's strength is their interior line. I don't think this is a great match up for Michigan.

On the other hand, they're playing at home so they should get some momentum from that. I think UM loses a squeaker.

As for Kelly, everyone knows he's a jerk. But don't worry, he'll be off to the pros very soon.

I think we end up winning, but I share some of these concerns. How will our new interior OL deal with Tuitt and Nix? Yikes! I do think we can stuff their run game, which is their bread and butter. That should put the pressure on Rees to make plays and he'll probably commit at least a turnover or two. Agreed that pass rush will be key though. They really need to figure that part out.

I do think Gardner can make big plays against that D though.

Man, I would love to go to this game, but ticket prices are insane right now. 200 bucks for a ticket is just too much. I guess people will pay it, so that's the market. But not for me.

I think michigan will win. ND wasn't amazing last year, and they aren't as good. Michigan is improved, and we are at home.

Can't wait.

I think their pass rush will end up being pretty good. I don't know if Frank Clark will live up to the hype, but I think Mario Ojemudia is the real deal. Plus, with Mattison's blitz packages they'll get to the QB plenty this year. It seemed like they were pressuring the Central QB all day, which was a good sign.

Interior O-line is a real concern. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up against ND's big guys.

Michigan safety Courtney Avery expected to return vs. Notre Dame | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Avery returning from surgery and Thomas Gordon returning from his week suspension is huge for Michigan's safety depth. Suddenly Michigan's defensive backfield looks much better than it did a week ago with two experienced guys returning. I also liked what I saw from Jarrod Wilson last week, and Hoke said he and Avery will probably split time.

I think we end up winning, but I share some of these concerns. How will our new interior OL deal with Tuitt and Nix? Yikes! I do think we can stuff their run game, which is their bread and butter. That should put the pressure on Rees to make plays and he'll probably commit at least a turnover or two. Agreed that pass rush will be key though. They really need to figure that part out.

They'll run the stretch zone play and get NDs DTs on skates....hopefully.

Great points.

I think UM's defense will fuel a victory. Mattison will dial up a few special blitzes to get to Rees. I also think UM has more depth than Notre Dame and will eventually wear them down.

UTL1 was the most intense non-Tiger-playoff sporting event I've ever been to.

Michigan wins. I drink a lot. We party

UTL1 was the most intense non-Tiger-playoff sporting event I've ever been to.

Michigan wins. I drink a lot. We party

Here's something we can agree on :)

Notre Dame wasn't good last year. Of their first 12 games, they (arguably) should have lost three of them (UM, Stanford, and Pitt)... They also could have just as easily lost another three (BYU, Purdue, and USC)... The only team they beat that the decisively beat that was decent was Oklahoma. They're worse this year... TEMPLE kept the game close last week.

Michigan was good last year. They got better this year.

Notre Dame apparently doesn't view this game as important.

Michigan puts it as the 3rd most important game.

This game is in the Big House, where Brady Hoke has never lost.

All in all, this one is a no brainer for me, and I don't think it will be close. I hope that when the earthquake occurs in CFB, that the ACC gets gutted by the SEC and Big Ten, and that Notre Dame is left begging us for admission, and we can give them a nice big middle finger, screwing them over... It's not likely, but I'd love it.

Prediction...

UM: 38

ND: 6

Notre Dame wasn't good last year. Of their first 12 games, they (arguably) should have lost three of them (UM, Stanford, and Pitt)... They also could have just as easily lost another three (BYU, Purdue, and USC)... The only team they beat that the decisively beat that was decent was Oklahoma. They're worse this year... TEMPLE kept the game close last week.

I actually agree that Michigan should win this game somewhat easily, but I disagree that ND was not good last year. They may have won some close games against mediocre opponents, but they still won. A lot of teams play bad teams close. Sagarin's predictor, which is his predictive metric, ranks them as the 5th best team last year. So, they were lucky to be in the title game, but they were still an elite team.

Michigan was good last year. They got better this year.

Notre Dame apparently doesn't view this game as important.

Michigan puts it as the 3rd most important game.

This game is in the Big House, where Brady Hoke has never lost.

All in all, this one is a no brainer for me, and I don't think it will be close. I hope that when the earthquake occurs in CFB, that the ACC gets gutted by the SEC and Big Ten, and that Notre Dame is left begging us for admission, and we can give them a nice big middle finger, screwing them over... It's not likely, but I'd love it.

Prediction...

UM: 38

ND: 6

I love your enthusiasm and I hope you are right on the money with your prediction.

I actually agree that Michigan should win this game somewhat easily, but I disagree that ND was not good last year. They may have won some close games against mediocre opponents, but they still won. A lot of teams play bad teams close. Sagarin's predictor, which is his predictive metric, ranks them as the 5th best team last year. So, they were lucky to be in the title game, but they were still an elite team.

Fair enough. "Wasn't good" was a stretch. I'm just still bitter about last year's game.

But the difference between 5 and 10 is negligible, and still subject to the general problems with computer rankings.

ND squeezed out a lot of very close wins against bad teams.

They were still a good team, but far from elite.

Let's not forget, they got absolutely hammered on a neutral field against Alabama, much like another team we are familiar with.