Melody

Thanks, Obamacare!

Left to its own devices, I would expect the Republicans to pass a different way to mandate people buy insurance; prohibit employers from negotiating insurance group discounts for employees; force every consumer onto the open market; and encourage insurance companies to skyrocket rates. That's what the donors are paying for, after all.

Not ACA related, just medical cost related.  But this is actually kind of brilliant.  This nonprofit has set itself up as a debt buying agency, like a collection agency.  Then they are buying medical bills in default for sometimes a fraction of a penny on the dollar and cancelling the debt.  

https://www.ripmedicaldebt.org/#impact

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Melody said:

Not ACA related, just medical cost related.  But this is actually kind of brilliant.  This nonprofit has set itself up as a debt buying agency, like a collection agency.  Then they are buying medical bills in default for sometimes a fraction of a penny on the dollar and cancelling the debt.  

https://www.ripmedicaldebt.org/#impact

very cool.

It is cool of them to do this, but lottery ticket solutions like this just aren’t enough.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It is cool of them to do this, but lottery ticket solutions like this just aren’t enough.

No argument.  But I still thought that this was pretty awesome.  And a very cost effective way to provide immediate relief to some of these families.    I learned about it because McClatchy (the parent company of my local paper) is sponsoring and fundraising for retiring medical debt for veterans and active duty military via this organization.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Melody said:

No argument.  But I still thought that this was pretty awesome.  And a very cost effective way to provide immediate relief to some of these families.    I learned about it because McClatchy (the parent company of my local paper) is sponsoring and fundraising for retiring medical debt for veterans and active duty military via this organization.  

Yeah, I get that, it’s very heartwarming for the recipients and it’s great PR for the company, but as a healthcare consumer, to qualify, you have to be holding the lottery ticket of being part of the debt they purchase. If you’re not, you’re SOL and, not for nothing, the macro problem remains the same.

This is a little like Undercover Boss: if you happen to be working at a company where the CEO goes incognito for a TV show, works next to you for a week, take a shine to you, reveals himself and then pledges in the season finale to pay for your child’s $200,000 hospital bill because they took a shine to you, that’s a great story.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I get that, it’s very heartwarming for the recipients and it’s great PR for the company, but as a healthcare consumer, to qualify, you have to be holding the lottery ticket of being part of the debt they purchase. If you’re not, you’re SOL and, not for nothing, the macro problem remains the same.

This is a little like Undercover Boss: if you happen to be working at a company where the CEO goes incognito for a TV show, works next to you for a week, take a shine to you, reveals himself and then pledges in the season finale to pay for your child’s $200,000 hospital bill because they took a shine to you, that’s a great story.

Grinch.  Geez.

Though it could be said that if these hospitals, etc. can afford to sell patient accounts for a fraction of a penny on the dollar, then they can offer to offer care for a more reasonable price and work with patients on repayment.  The McClatchy group is raising funds for military families.  These have insurance ... (TriCare)

Yeah, I admit, I’m a grinch about this exact kind of thing. Otherwise, I’m an all right guy. :grin: 

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I admit, I’m a grinch about this exact kind of thing. Otherwise, I’m an all right guy. :grin: 

It's just a niche but they are doing a good service. The Hospitals know they will never collect from the low income people the group focuses on - but they have no mechanism to selectively discharge bills so those unfortunately people get saddled with a blot on their credit histories they can do nothing about. Having a third party make the bridge allows everyone to walk away better off. Yeah - the niche shouldn't exist in an enlightened society, but since it does, good for them doing a bit to fill it.

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's just a niche but they are doing a good service. The Hospitals know they will never collect from the low income people the group focuses on - but they have no mechanism to selectively discharge bills so those unfortunately people get saddled with a blot on their credit histories they can do nothing about. Having a third party make the bridge allows everyone to walk away better off. Yeah - the niche shouldn't exist in an enlightened society, but since it does, good for them doing a bit to fill it.

I know they do a good service, and I don’t question where their heart is. It’s hard for me to articulate exactly what bothers me about the concept, except to say that I’m afraid people conclude that it’s the solution to the problem, so nothing more needs to be done to address it. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I know they do a good service, and I don’t question where their heart is. It’s hard for me to articulate exactly what bothers me about the concept, except to say that I’m afraid people conclude that it’s the solution to the problem, so nothing more needs to be done to address it. 

Well, I certainly did not infer that it is “the” solution.   But I still think it is a great thing they are doing, and an innovative and cost effective use of funding.   All of the people they are helping have past debt.  And the military in particular are insured.  

And I did not mean to imply that you inferred that it was “the” solution.

This should not be legal.  https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2018/12/14/blame-the-fda-for-this-fiasco

Why in the world is our FDA granting exclusive rights to very old drugs to companies who did not develop the drug.  In the case of colchicine, the cost went up from about nine cents per pill to around $6 and the generic can no longer be sold in the US.

Welp, here we go: for all the marbles.

They're going to take healthcare away from millions in an election year.

17 minutes ago, pfife said:

This is the type of thing that won the Dems so many seats in the mid terms. It’s definitely cruel, and also likely political suicide. 

4 hours ago, pfife said:

25 million = lots of Dem votes.

Yeah as really they will blame Trump for everything it seems. They want to have Bernie Sanders in office like Pronto!

This is koo koo bannana pants!

Healthcare spending down in the midst of a healthcare crisis

13 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

This is koo koo bannana pants!

Healthcare spending down in the midst of a healthcare crisis

The emergency procedures don’t make as much profit as getting a new knee or hip

That is my take.  Outpatient surgery makes big money for hospitals.  Tying up beds to wait out the disease there does not.

Shouldn't bail them out though, it's not like they're providing a vital service like cruise ships 

It's why despite being super crowded, they have to furlough staff.   Not everyone is qualified to handle these kinds of patients.  

There's often no room to do the work and they don't want to take up the PPE required.

Some places locally are starting to do some again.

The situation at the hospitals locally is getting better but it's still pretty bad.  Far worse than it ever is in flu season.