hail2mich

GDT: Central Michigan at #17 Michigan 8/31/2013

I've been rewatching the game focusing on the offensive line. After watching a full half I've come to these conclusions. Despite being a walk on Glasgow was good.....quite good. He was quick and strong and moved the pile forward. I was surprised as he wasn't much of a name since last spring. Joe Miller...by far the worst. Either the guy across from Miller was exceptional or Miller just sucks. For comparison sake I looked at the CMU center to see if it was something about center blocking technique I didn't know. But no he acquitted himself quite well until he got owned by Black who beat him inside early in the game. I'm concerned about the center position because the rest of the starting line between the tackles seemed to have their way. Where CMU was able to stop the run was when they stacked the box.

The center is Jack Miller. Also I think with any team the hope is that the running game is good enough to force people to "stack the box" which would then open up play action, and more passes down field. If teams are forced into bringing 8 people into the box then the running game has done its job.

So at this game my wife and I had to sit next to this guy (and significant other) that had the entire depth chart memorized, along with personal nicknames for each player, and constantly had to tell anybody who was listening (nobody) how each player was a 5 star recruit and their entire life story. I sure hope nobody here is "that guy."

Does the big house still smell of pot. I recall it smelling of one big pot hole. In the ground. What a wonderful place. Why......I remember when I was a student before 'Big House' had yet been invented.

From the Detroit News this morning:

"Right guard Kyle Kalis was solid in his debut Saturday against the Chippewas, but that was expected, given the coaching staff wanted to play the highly touted recruit as true freshman last fall. Walk-on Graham Glasgow, a third-year sophomore, appeared to hold his own at left guard, too. But center Jack Miller struggled at times — a blown snap count here, a goal-line gaffe there — and could be in for a long night Saturday if he doesn’t get some help.'

....and apparently things will be more difficult for the center this weekend;

"Tuitt, a defensive end who earned preseason All-America honors, and nose tackle Louis Nix combined for 14 sacks and 20 tackles for loss last season, freeing up the linebackers — Manti Te’o is gone, but Prince Shembo is back this fall — to make plays in Notre Dame’s 3-4 scheme. Both Tuitt and Nix are likely NFL first-round draft picks..."

From The Detroit News: Michigan's offensive line gets a second chance against Notre Dame | The Detroit News

Edited by Greenwit

Glasgow has also practiced at center fwiw. Think he showed why a several schools offered him "preferred walkon" late.