FOX-Sports-1_730_20130305144320758_660_320.JPG

BW30_feat_foxsportschart_605.jpg

I hate ESPN. I really do. The cowtowing to the 'major' markets...the running and re running of the same tired stories I am supposed to be shocked about and could not care less about...the Bretts Farvres, the Lebron James', the Derek Jeters, the A-Rods. I am sick of it.

I had planned on taking all ESPN channels off my favorite list on my controller (I change channles by hitting the FAV button thus skipping a bunch of crap I do not care about)...I hope I can still do that some day and simply let Fox Sports take over and have me hate them in 20 years when they basically become ESPN now, but oh what a glorious 20 years it COULD be.

It is dropping in 10 days and I wanted to see what was happening...I ran across a really long article:

Fox Sports 1's Strategy vs. ESPN: 'Jockularity' - Businessweek

Around the FS1 offices, the words “fun” and “irreverent” are thrown around to describe everything. Scott Ackerson, one of the producers who created Fox NFL Sunday, says ESPN does a great job “teaching about sports, educating. Most of their shows deal with X’s and O’s. We’re not going to do the traditional, everything-is-a-game story. … We are going to have football players talking about baseball, Andy Roddick talking about basketball. This is going to be elite athletes having fun.”

The bolded part scared me...because I think FS1 is going to turn into the moron show. Just the opposite of what I was hoping it was going to become. (sports, and unique non drama sports stories...again I do not need to be updated on ARods situation ALL DAY long.)

I hope I like it. I really want to like it. FS1 is starting with 66 employees. ESPN has 6600 and most of the 66 are technical types you will not see. Never was a fan of Regis either so that took some of the wind out of my sail.

The bolded part scared me...because I think FS1 is going to turn into the moron show.

A Motown Sports Show! Woohoo!!

I wonder if their morning programming will be worthy of being my new alarm clock?

I wonder if their morning programming will be worthy of being my new alarm clock?

Depends on what you consider worthy I guess. (and no I did not miss the joke)

:wink:
Depends on what you consider worthy I guess. (and no I did not miss the joke)

It's a shame the direction the new channel is taking. People want an alternative to espn and this just seems like more of the same.

USGA: USGA and Fox Sports Agree to Partnership

FAR HILLS, N.J., and NEW YORK – The United States Golf Association, the governing body of the game of golf in the United States, and FOX Sports, the No.1 network for sports television since 1997, today announced a comprehensive multi-media agreement that makes the FOX network and FOX Sports 1 the principal domestic media partner of the USGA and the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and U.S. Senior Open Championships, as well as the USGA’s national amateur championships and other live content, beginning in 2015. The landmark, 12-year agreement, which runs through 2026, brings premier major championship golf for the first time ever to the FOX broadcast network, home to the country’s greatest sports events, including the Super Bowl, World Series, Daytona 500 and World Cup.
Under terms of the newly executed agreement, the USGA and FOX Sports will deliver a total of 146 hours of championship golf, including a minimum of 70 cumulative hours of live event coverage of the three Opens, making the game compelling, dramatic and fun for an expanded audience. In addition to the rights to the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and U.S. Senior Open Championships, FOX Sports will also be home to the USGA’s national amateur championships and international team competitions, delivering a minimum of 76 hours of live broadcast coverage across its sports platforms, including FOX Sports 1, America’s new sports network, launching August 17.

More at the link

It appears they are going to grab up all the fringe sports with one or two big boys and hopefully one day just dominate ESPN.

Wow JBK, we actually agree on something, we both hate ESPN. I think ESPN is an arrogant bully and I really only used to watch them for an hour or two on Sunday morning during football season, but now that they added Ray Lewis, I will not be watching them at all.

Wow JBK, we actually agree on something, we both hate ESPN. I think ESPN is an arrogant bully and I really only used to watch them for an hour or two on Sunday morning during football season, but now that they added Ray Lewis, I will not be watching them at all.

We have agreed before..I really want FS1 to be good, but saying ESPN was the x's and o's network scares me.

Maybe I just haven't noticed it, but did they not also start an FS2 channel, as well? I don't recall having seen that channel before on DirecTV, but when I flipped to see what soccer games were on FSC and BeIN, I saw there was an FS2 channel. Has this always been on, or was this channel started at the same time as FS1?

I'll agree with Art on the other thread started about FS1--I start with MLBN, then another sports channel. I'm going to give FS1 a chance, so we'll see what happens. Saturday was ok. Sunday was a little better.

I hate ESPN and never watch it. I only watch sports channels for the games and not analysis. I'll still get plenty of college football from ABC. I think FS1 is going to be great if for no other reason than for the expanded UFC content. I am a HUGE MMA fan so that's a big seller for me.

Maybe I just haven't noticed it, but did they not also start an FS2 channel, as well? I don't recall having seen that channel before on DirecTV, but when I flipped to see what soccer games were on FSC and BeIN, I saw there was an FS2 channel. Has this always been on, or was this channel started at the same time as FS1?

I'll agree with Art on the other thread started about FS1--I start with MLBN, then another sports channel. I'm going to give FS1 a chance, so we'll see what happens. Saturday was ok. Sunday was a little better.

If I could get MLBN I would not be this excited for FS1.

That being said I barely saw anything on the channel this weekend.

I made a point to watch some FS1 this weekend, what a crap product. I thought the delivery and content was really busch league. I get that it is a new network, but it was I have come to expect from Fox, they don't do a good job with sports, remember the tail on the hockey puck?

I also find UFC/MMA to be pretty abhorent, which they will be carrying a bit of, so that immediately loses my attention. ESPN still talks about normal sports all the time, that is what I want; a clear over view of the main sports stories for the day, after that all I need is specific networks.

All the sports have their own network now, I watch a lot of MLB, NHL, NBA network and the golf channel, that is where I get my highlights and such.

FS1 won't be challenging ESPN anytime soon.

FS1 took over for SpeedTV, FS2 took over for FuelTV (which only a few had)

FS1 took over for SpeedTV, FS2 took over for FuelTV (which only a few had)

But what about the content? I know they are inheriting some of the content (like the Barrett-Jackson auctions and stuff). Is FS2 supposed to be the equivalent (theoretically) of ESPN 2?

I made a point to watch some FS1 this weekend, what a crap product. I thought the delivery and content was really busch league. I get that it is a new network, but it was I have come to expect from Fox, they don't do a good job with sports, remember the tail on the hockey puck?

I also find UFC/MMA to be pretty abhorent, which they will be carrying a bit of, so that immediately loses my attention. ESPN still talks about normal sports all the time, that is what I want; a clear over view of the main sports stories for the day, after that all I need is specific networks.

All the sports have their own network now, I watch a lot of MLB, NHL, NBA network and the golf channel, that is where I get my highlights and such.

I think Fox Sports would be wise to segregate their content completely by placing major sports like the Big 4, soccer, golf and maybe NASCAR on FS1, with all the minor and extreme sports like minor racing events, moto-x, x-sports, outdoors activities and the fighting matches on FS2. If they mix and match all of these between the two channels, I think it will confuse people and cause abandonment, particularly on major carriers that do not carry the channels side by side (e.g., D*TV has FS1 on 219 and FS2 on 618).

MMA is great. I can understand why folks don't like it, but it's really a great sport.

Tuned in last night to try to get non-ESPN sports coverage from the day and within minutes they had Mike Tyson on acting goofy and talking about who knows what. Switched it to MLB Network pretty quickly. It's also kind of goofy they have people like Andy Roddick sitting there talking about football.

Tuned in last night to try to get non-ESPN sports coverage from the day and within minutes they had Mike Tyson on acting goofy and talking about who knows what. Switched it to MLB Network pretty quickly. It's also kind of goofy they have people like Andy Roddick sitting there talking about football.

The night I saw it they had 2 football players, a tennis player, and a basketball player on the panel. No former baseball players on the panel when the only sport playing anything meaningful right now is baseball? Odd.