CapitalTigers

A. Garcia & B. Villarreal for Jose Iglesias (confirmed)

Alex, Iglasias, Infante, Jackson should be a nice defensive core up the middle. Probably the best since JL has been here.

I'm old school that way and still believe that's how you build a team.

I really, really hate that we traded Avi...to the whitesux no less. Dont fool yourselves for one second if anyone doesnt think this trade isnt gonna haunt us in the very near future.

With that said, however, i feel an important urge to cry in joy over what may be major defensive dividends with an all star ceiling.

Ive lived here in Massachusetts, and have had the chance to watch Iggy play, whether its been at Fenway or McCoy Field. The kid has a special glove, special arm, special range,

..i love watching him play, like i loved watching Inge defensively at 3B.

Hes not a slouch with the bat either. Streaky as hell, but he CAN hit. Hes got all the tools to be a perenial all star and i believe Dombrowski is gonna tap into that previously hyped potential. Iggy was rushed way to soon, but his glove endured despite his offensive struggles. He understands and performs well under pressure-defensively at a young age already. Its just a matter of continuing to develop him as he provides his steady Lifesaving defense down the stretch.

What did some of yas expect.???. Jose Reyes?..Elvis Andrus?

Profar?

You cats are gonna like Jose Iglesias, me thinks. , imma a happy camper. Gonna sleep just fine tonight.

I'm seeing some Red Sox fans that are sad to see him go. And a lot of the ones who are fine with it say its because they have a lot of middle infield depth in their system.

Yup.

Stephen Drew today.

Xander Bogaerts tomorrow,

He can't hit. He's never hit in the minors and his hitting this year is a BABIP mirage.

That said he's a very good defensive SS and I'm a big doubter of Garcia ever being anything more than a 4th outfielder so this seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm in on this. I am really happy to have a good glove at short finally. I can suffer through a below average bat if the defense is good enough. We'll see, but I'm hopeful.

I really, really hate that we traded Avi...to the whitesux no less. Dont fool yourselves for one second if anyone doesnt think this trade isnt gonna haunt us in the very near future.

With that said, however, i feel an important urge to cry in joy over what may be major defensive dividends with an all star ceiling.

Ive lived here in Massachusetts, and have had the chance to watch Iggy play, whether its been at Fenway or McCoy Field. The kid has a special glove, special arm, special range,

..i love watching him play, like i loved watching Inge defensively at 3B.

Hes not a slouch with the bat either. Streaky as hell, but he CAN hit. Hes got all the tools to be a perenial all star and i believe Dombrowski is gonna tap into that previously hyped potential. Iggy was rushed way to soon, but his glove endured despite his offensive struggles. He understands and performs well under pressure-defensively at a young age already. Its just a matter of continuing to develop him as he provides his steady Lifesaving defense down the stretch.

What did some of yas expect.???. Jose Reyes?..Elvis Andrus?

Profar?

You cats are gonna like Jose Iglesias, me thinks. , imma a happy camper. Gonna sleep just fine tonight.

Why do your first two sentences seem to completely contradict the rest of the post?

If you mean this about Garcia in response to my post, I'm talking more about his performance at Toledo.

Look at Granderson in the minors. He had better power numbers than Garcia but you never would have guessed what he hes done in the majors.

I think this is a fair trade for the Tigers and finally gets us the middle infield defense that we've almost all unanimously wanted for a while. As was mentioned earlier, I especially like what this deal could mean long-term for both Porcello and Fister as groundball pitchers. Iglesias can make a dangerous pitching staff even more so and that I like.

OK, with all the speculation on whom the Tigers might acquire at the deadline, who picked these 2 guys?

Nobody.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, DD plays it close to the vest. Never know what he's going to pull off.

Is the Peralta suspension official? If so, we've probably seen the last of him in Detroit.

I actually had seen Veras mentioned, but Iglesias was certainly a surprise.

I really don't like reading that Rondon is going to the White Sox. Cause each time I do, I think its ours.

Cleuluis (clueless) Rondon.

after watching the video, i do like this guys glove...lets just hope he isnt adam everett 2.0

If it's the Everett who played for the Astros from 2003-2006 (which is a good possibility), I'll be happy with that.

Why do your first two sentences seem to completely contradict the rest of the post?

Its kind of a double edged sword.

I love that Dave acquired a talent like Iglesias ..

But on the flip side, i hate losing Avi regardless, and i believe its gonna bite us in the sweet cheaks when he becomes the next great Tiger killing bat on the south side of the windy city, if ya feel?

I believe Iglesias Could Be that intangible missing piece, in that, his defensive shimmer Could Be the ultimate compliment to what is the Offensive and starting Pitching Rich Juggernaut that is Our Detroit Tigers.

As Lee mentioned, a true dynamic changer.

Thumbs up DD!

Everything I'm reading says his defense is superb. He also put on 35 pounds this year and helped his hitting.

An archived Boston Globe story says that's 35 lbs over the 4 yrs since he arrived from Cuba. That's a bit more reasonable for a 185 lb guy.

I'll like the defensive upgrade (though Jhonny was doing a nice job this season IMO), but I hope he hits decent because the last thing this team needs is another automatic out.

It won't matter so much if Avila and Dirks start to pick it up a bit offensively.

I bet Garcia is crushed. No post season this year and his man crush on an opposing team.

Edited by Antrat

As much as the immediate fill-in for Peralta, IMO this is a move designed over the next 3-4 years to provide for Cabrera to stay at 3B.

With the age and contract situations of Fielder and VMart, I see little chance Cabrera is moving anywhere from 3B for the next several seasons. With Peralta's range already not outstanding and probably getting worse as he ages, keeping him at SS next to Cabrera would mean that fielding chasm between 3B and SS was just going to get wider and wider and wider as both get older and lose another step or two of lateral range.

Bringing in Iglesias, a wide-ranging glove wizard, at SS, should allow Cabrera to play a step or two closer to the line and minimize the effects of his range limitations.

Assuming they do eventually sign Miggy to an extension, in 3-4 years it may be more practical to think about moving Fielder to DH and sliding Cabrera back over to 1B. IMO the Tigers want to delay that day as long as they can.

Realistically, I'd rather see Peralta's bat assuming he keeps hitting as he has, but I've grown tired of the Tigers style of play with no speed or defense. Iglesias changes the dynamic of the roster and I'm anxious to see how it works out for Porcello and others.

That highlight clip on this thread shows a guy doing things from a defensive standpoint at SS that you just don't see. His lightning quick release is like Ozzie Smith. Refreshing. Great move by DD. Iglesias will inject life into this team and makes them watchable again for me.

I first heard about the trade this morning driving to work (I went to bed early last night).

I am very happy right now.

Me too. I am in TN with littlec access and a different time zone. Got a text when I got up in middle of night but it said peavy to red sox and I thought the rest was just speculating. ... guess peralta is done?

I came here expecting to see much weeping and gnashing of teeth over the fact that we gave up Avi Garcia to a division rival for a light-hitting SS. Pleasantly surprised. I liked Garcia, but I never thought that he & Castellanos were both going to be Tigers long term. Iglesias looks to be legit defensively, & he's young. Good move.

Me too. I am in TN with littlec access and a different time zone. Got a text when I got up in middle of night but it said peavy to red sox and I thought the rest was just speculating. ... guess peralta is done?

I think he is. Can he even come back after 50 games out or will they send him home?

And Schoenfield at ESPN:

The White Sox get Avisail Garcia in the deal, a player scouts like a lot but sabermetric types are skeptical about, due to a low walk rate in the minors. Still, if he puts it together, there’s a lot of upside there. Put me in the skeptical category; probably a big league regular, but I don’t foresee a star player.

Rash judgments on trade deadline eve! - SweetSpot Blog - ESPN

Nobody has mentioned the possibility that Peralta appeals the suspension and plays out the season with the Tigers. In this case, Santiago is the odd man out......I smell another last minute trade or a DFA for Ramon.

I did see Infante in the dugout during last night's game. He must be close to coming back.

Nobody has mentioned the possibility that Peralta appeals the suspension and plays out the season with the Tigers.

Because that would be foolish on Peralta's part.