CapitalTigers

A. Garcia & B. Villarreal for Jose Iglesias (confirmed)

There is a big difference, this year Jose will help Detroit more than Garcia will/could, Exp if the Tigers call up Nick Castellanos, no place for Garcia. What i know for sure is Jose will bring GREAT defense to the SS position.

I completely agree with all of this. I've been saying that all along. I'm just not going to assume Garcia will never hit simply because he didn't with the Tigers at this age.

Last I saw today, the suspensions should be coming down Thursday or Friday. Didn't want to do it before the trade deadline so teams like the Tigers get screwed and can't get a SS. Also have to think that Peralta will play in the playoffs once the suspension ends. No reason not to have him back unless Iglesias hits out of his mind.

I love this deal. Have a young, excellent defensive SS under control for 5 years and only gave up Avi and Villareal. While I think Avi could have been a decent player here, he was expendable with Castellanos moving to the outfield. Infield defense just got a whole lot better with this trade. Should be with the team Friday.

I completely agree with all of this. I've been saying that all along. I'm just not going to assume Garcia will never hit simply because he didn't with the Tigers at this age.

Well for our sake lets hope he never does.

After watching Iglesias' highlights, Jhonny couldn't make those fielding plays in his dreams.

To be fair, Peralta, like Miggy, may not have range but he has a sure glove, maybe among the best in the game. He's not a total oil drum cam at SS. But range is crucial at SS, so I would rather sacrifice a little glove certainty for a chance at a whole lot more plays.

When is the last time we had a SS that could field like that? He will be a fan favorite if he can hit just a little. I liked Garcia but we have options in the outfield that we don't have at SS. He may not hit like Peralta but put him further down the lineup and deal with it.

There is a big difference, this year Jose will help Detroit more than Garcia will/could, Exp if the Tigers call up Nick Castellanos, no place for Garcia. What i know for sure is Jose will bring GREAT defense to the SS position.

This is the context you can't ignore. There wasn't room for Garcia and Castellanos in Detroit because they are not going to build around 3 RH OFs and AJax isn't likely going anywhere near term. So how many felt you'd rather keep Garcia than Castellanos?

Given that answer, what do we need more than a SS? The Logic of the trade is impeccable. How good or bad DD's choice of a SS was hinges on whether Inglasias can hit - which I think we are about to find out.....

Edited by Gehringer_2

When is the last time we had a SS that could field like that? He will be a fan favorite if he can hit just a little. I liked Garcia but we have options in the outfield that we don't have at SS. He may not hit like Peralta but put him further down the lineup and deal with it.

I'll +1 this.

To be fair, Peralta, like Miggy, may not have range but he has a sure glove, maybe among the best in the game. He's not a total oil drum cam at SS. But range is crucial at SS, so I would rather sacrifice a little glove certainty for a chance at a whole lot more plays.

From what I read not only does he have the range but he has the hands as well. I have no problem with Peralta at SS but at 31 I'm not sure how much longer he has there. Even after serving a suspension, he's likely looking at a 10 million per contract. The Tigers need a couple cheap young starters.

Last I saw today, the suspensions should be coming down Thursday or Friday. Didn't want to do it before the trade deadline so teams like the Tigers get screwed and can't get a SS. Also have to think that Peralta will play in the playoffs once the suspension ends. No reason not to have him back unless Iglesias hits out of his mind.

I love this deal. Have a young, excellent defensive SS under control for 5 years and only gave up Avi and Villareal. While I think Avi could have been a decent player here, he was expendable with Castellanos moving to the outfield. Infield defense just got a whole lot better with this trade. Should be with the team Friday.

I assume the league is not going to let guys go the minors for 'rehab' before their suspensions end, so coming back with only a few games left and AAA already over doesn't seem to leave any way anyone could serve 50 games and come back in game hitting condition.

If Peralta is available again and healthy in the final week of the regular season, of course you activate him (unless Iglesias is hitting .212 or Hernan Perez is hitting .295).

Now if Iglesias is hitting .245 you might have a real dilemma as to whether or not to put Peralta right back in the starting lineup.

Otherwise Peralta could be a hell of a useful utility player for the playoffs -- a guy who could play 7 positions (at least adequately) and hit as well.

Plus you don't need 13 pitchers for the playoffs and with possible games in an NL park a multi-position utility guy could be a huge plus.

after watching the video, i do like this guys glove...lets just hope he isnt adam everett 2.0

From what I read not only does he have the range but he has the hands as well. I have no problem with Peralta at SS but at 31 I'm not sure how much longer he has there. Even after serving a suspension, he's likely looking at a 10 million per contract. The Tigers need a couple cheap young starters.

No, you're right, I didn't mean to imply Iglesias had worse hands than J Honny. I meant theoretically.

Chili Mac Davis@984838 jkl

"Dombrowski Swings 3-way Deal with Multiple Sox Partners"

Well done, sir.

Detroit Tigers ‏@tigers 1m

OFFICIAL: The #Tigers have acquired infielder Jose Iglesias in exchange for Avisail Garcia and Brayan Villarreal.

Can a mod change the thread title please? Yeah, I mean you, Bert!!! :angry:

Peralta is not coming back period. Let's not fool our selves into thinking that. He will never play here again. The Tigers don't want a confirmed "cheater" on their baseball team and taint a possible World Series! He would be a total distraction with the media as well. Time to move on Folks ... Hence The Trade!!!

Can a mod change the thread title please? Yeah, I mean you, Bert!!! :angry:

Why does no one know how to spell around here?

Boston gets Villarreal as well

From NESN.com

12:05 a.m.: It’s official. It’s a three-team, seven-player deal. The Red Sox announced that they have acquired Jake Peavy from the White Sox and Brayan Villarreal from the Tigers. The Red Sox sent Jose Iglesias to the Tigers for outfielder Avisail Garcia and Villarreal. Boston then sent Garcia and minor leaguers J.B. Wendelken, Francelis Montas and Cleuluis Rondon to the White Sox in exchange for Peavy.

Read more at: MLB Trade Deadline Live: Red Sox Acquire Jake Peavy as Part of Three-Team, Seven-Player Deal | MLB Trade Deadline | NESN.com

Peralta is not coming back period. Let's not fool our selves into thinking that. He will never play here again. The Tigers don't want a confirmed "cheater" on their baseball team and taint a possible World Series! He would be a total distraction with the media as well. Time to move on Folks ... Hence The Trade!!!

uhh... yeah. Sure.

If nothing else, we now have an Iggy/Miggy left side of the infield. Now just bring back Higgy, and get Biggio and Wigginton, and we'll have the unstoppable Iggy/Higgy/Miggy/Biggy/Wiggy lineup.

Why has this not happened yet? DD, I'm looking at you.

Also, an obvious trade would have to develop with the Lions to bring Ziggy Ansah to play DH. Sorry Victor.

So just for grins, consider the possibility that Peralta doesn't get suspended. Would we be sorry we moved Garcia for Inglasias for next yr?

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason 3m

Avisail Garcia going to Charlotte. Brayan Villarreal going to Pawtucket. Iglesias will join #Tigers on Friday.