CapitalTigers

A. Garcia & B. Villarreal for Jose Iglesias (confirmed)

Just because Garcia is one of the Tigers better prospects doesn't mean he's a good prospect. He just one of the best of a poor system.

Agree with this. our system is brutal.

I don't like this for two reasons:

I don't want Chicago to get Garcia.

I don't want Boston to get Peavy.

As far as Iglesias goes, I don't know much about him... but he's going to have to hit better than Avisail going forward, for me to like it. And I'm doubtful that will happen. I know a lot of his value is in defense, but I don't think he's going to be enough of a defensive upgrade at SS to make up for the downgrade at the plate over Peralta. But I suppose DD made this move as insurance... hopefully he won't have to collect.

A nice thing about this trade is we face the White Sox a bunch of times in the second half and we don't have to face Jake Peavy

White Sox dumped Peavy and his contract for Avisail Garcia

Red Sox are a playoff team that just added a solid starter for a struggling middle infielder

Tigers added the struggling middle infielder and traded one of their better prospects to a division rival

Hard time seeing the silver lining here

They filled a bigger need, and finally got a SS who is really good. Would you prefer they got an all-bat, no-defense SS?

OK, with all the speculation on whom the Tigers might acquire at the deadline, who picked these 2 guys?

Nobody.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, DD plays it close to the vest. Never know what he's going to pull off.

Is the Peralta suspension official? If so, we've probably seen the last of him in Detroit.

To be fair Veras was an option all along.

Yaaaaahhhhhs, it is done, ahem, ahem.....

Next time, update it with, you know, the actual names of the players involved...

They had to pay a bit of a premium depending on what you think of Avi to get a shortstop. This is on Peralta for screwing us over. Given that info, it's a decent deal.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

When Iglesias signed with the Red Sox, the NYY scouting report on him even then was: Best hands in baseball since Omar Vizquel.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

When Iglesias signed with the Red Sox, the NYY scouting report on him even then was: Best hands in baseball since Omar Vizquel.

Better than Elmon?

He's a 240 lb'er who can run, throw, and hit. He's a very unique prospect, if not "good".

This is how I feel - he's an athletic freak and he can actually play some baseball unlike some other athletic freaks. Maybe he'll be a star, I kind of doubt it, but even if he is I'm happy with this deal if Iglesias' glove is as good as advertised. I'll give up 150 points of Peralta's OPS at short in exchange for some range, because I want Cabrera to stay at third which is where he is serene and content.

Right, so I'm confused, I know little about Iglesias except his fielding, but his batting stats and age look nice. Yet a couple posters on other thread were saying he's all glove, no hit?

He can't hit. He's never hit in the minors and his hitting this year is a BABIP mirage.

That said he's a very good defensive SS and I'm a big doubter of Garcia ever being anything more than a 4th outfielder so this seems like a pretty good deal.

I love this deal. I've been wanting the Tigers to get a great defensive shortstop for a long time and they got him. His batting line this year is a fluke, but he's still young and some of the improvement could be real. He won't hit for power, but he won't necessarily be the next Adam Everett.

I agree. Reports are that he is the best fielding SS in the minors. He probably won't hit, although one scouting report I read was bullish that he could develop later, like late 20s, into a a guy who could hit second on a first division club.

I'm just excited to watch a SS with range. This should help the Tigers post a runs against average more in line with their pitching staff's peripherals, which are dynamite.

I love this deal. I've been wanting the Tigers to get a great defensive shortstop for a long time and they got him. His batting line this year is a fluke, but he's still young and some of the improvement could be real. He won't hit for power, but he won't necessarily be the next Adam Everett.

This is pretty much how I feel. If he hits .270/.330/.350 or something long term with gold glove defense this should go down as a great trade. Especially if the Tigers keep Cabrera at third in the future, having a great defensive SS next to him should be a huge plus.

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning 1m

Tigers pitching staff just booked Townsend Hotel. "Welcome to Detroit, Julio" party begins at 12, with or without Iglesias. #deefense

Lynn being Lynn..... JOSE.

I love this deal. We get a gold glove infielder who isn't Brendan Ryan with the bat. Maybe An Aybar type, but a solid player at a low cost. Sucks losing Garcia but his defense will make up for Nick C in left!

Everything I'm reading says his defense is superb. He also put on 35 pounds this year and helped his hitting.

Don't like the sound of that. 35 lbs? I don't see how any human being could gain 35 lbs at age 23 and not have the play as SS everyone liked him for suffer.

I wouldn't say he actually has a bat.

But he does substantially improve this defense and is still young and under control.

Giving up a likely fourth OF in Garcia I think is an equal trade.

Matt Sussman ‏@suss2hyphens 2m

Dave Dombrowski drives through Arby's drive thru. "I don't want anything." Speeds out of Arby's with car full of apple turnovers

They filled a bigger need, and finally got a SS who is really good. Would you prefer they got an all-bat, no-defense SS?

I've always believed a baseball team can afford to carry one really poor hitter, maybe 2, but 3 is over the limit - you cannot afford to give away a whole inning each time through the lineup. If Avila keeps his OBP over 325 and Dirks/Tui/Castallanos don't do any worse that they are now, they can carry a no-hit SS and be fine.

ESPN now reporting the 3-way - finally -- but say lower level pitcher going Sox-Sox, not from Det.

Funny how people say Jose sucks at hitting, Garcia hasn't hit worth a damn in the big's, what makes people think that would have changed. LOVE THE DEAL.

Matt Sussman ‏@suss2hyphens 2m

Dave Dombrowski drives through Arby's drive thru. "I don't want anything." Speeds out of Arby's with car full of apple turnovers

Dave doesn't eat at Arby's