T&P_Fan

Pistons trade Knight for Jennings

I was lagging the majority of those that wanted him replaced, but was resigned to expecting it during this offseason. I do think he gets manages to get value with the draft. But the success of his other player acquisitions are scattered throughout his tenure. I honestly don't know how this group will work out, but the talent base and potential has signfiicantly increased.

Its funny, a week ago he was adament that the Jennings rumors were false. And now he's a member of the Pistons. Is Dumars taking some lessons from Dombrowski?

Dumars is building another "band of misfits", which is clearly his preferred team-building philosophy. The band will either play well together, or it will be a disaster on the court, depending on the night.

Dumars is building another "band of misfits", which is clearly his preferred team-building philosophy. The band will either play well together, or it will be a disaster on the court, depending on the night.

Maurice Cheeks as a coach is a master of misfits. I hope he can tame the misfits of the Pistons.

Maurice Cheeks as a coach is a master of misfits. I hope he can tame the misfits of the Pistons.

Cheeks certainly got plenty of experience with misfits with the Jailblazers. Dumars brought Sheed on board to relate with them, and Cheeks is there to reign them in -- at least that's how I see it.

Cheeks certainly got plenty of experience with misfits with the Jailblazers. Dumars brought Sheed on board to relate with them, and Cheeks is there to reign them in -- at least that's how I see it.

Cheeks has never reigned in a team. Ever. People on this board like to absolve him of any blame in the Jailblazers situation, but regardless of your feelings on that issue nobody in the media or anywhere else has ever questioned that he's anything but a player's coach. He's laid back and likes to be friends with everyone. Sheed is loud, but he's also not going to be a hard nosed disciplinarian - in fact, he likes to stir the pot. That's what worries me most about this team. We've put together a band of misfits (and some borderline head cases this time) and unlike last time we don't have a guy like LB to crack the whip. Instead we have a guy that let's the chickens run the coop.

We have a young PG who has the potential to be a floor general. It will come down to how he develops as a player.

This is exactly it. I have a love/hate relationship with Jennings and I'm sure that will continue this season due to the excitement he brings one second and then the boneheaded play a moment later. But, at the end of the day let's not forget that Jennings is a young player with a lot of potential and talent. He averaged 6.5 assists last year with less turnovers than Knight who only averaged 4 assists. There's no doubt that Jennings has elite court vision, he simply needs to mature, calm down a bit, and stop forcing his shot.

I am excited about this team. I am really looking forward to watching the first month or so and hopefully they are good enough to keep me watching for the next 3 months after that.

I was a Knight fan....I think in the right system the kid will be well above average and wish him well. I do not know a lot about Jennings, but from what I am hearing he is a good player and more of a point guard. Added Josh Smith, brought Chaunce back, added this Jennings kid. I like what they are trying to do and hope to hell it works.

His assists/turnovers give me some hope but, I assumed taking that many shots he got to the line more. He certainly isn't Iverson lite, AI was getting to the line about 10 times a game at 23 Jennings wasn't getting the line any better than Knight (3.5/36). Chauncey is a guy who learned how to get to line later in his career. He's not a good finisher so getting to the line will be important for his development. That and not being awful on defense.

Why is he a confirmed jerk?

Because of the way he acts and what he says? Like the time he said Ricky Rubio sucked, or the times he has said he needed to get out of Milwaukee to a bigger market because he wasn't getting selected to the All-Star teams, or the time he said he could be a great point guard but his teammates sucked so much he had to score. Hey, Milwaukee fans are about ready to throw a parade that this guy is out of town, and they even got players for him.

Edited by DrWho17

Because of the way he acts and what he says? Like the time he said Ricky Rubio sucked, or the times he has said he needed to get out of Milwaukee to a bigger market because he wasn't getting selected to the All-Star teams, or the time he said he could be a great point guard but his teammates sucked so much he had to score. Hey, Milwaukee fans are about ready to throw a parade that this guy is out of town, and they even got players for him.

I don't buy to much into if a player is a "jerk" or not.

One of my favorite sayings in all of sports is "winning cures everything". And I believe that to be true in most situations. If the pistons win on a more frequent basis, I doubt you will hear many negative things about Jennings.

BTW, Jennings did have crappy teammates in Milwaukee (probably why he shot so much), and Rick Rubio may not suck, but if Jennings thinks so who cares.

Can't imagine you were super happy haha

Eh, we were all going to complain about how terrible Knight is this year. Now we will just be doing the same but about Jennings instead. If they had given up a pick or something that would have been bad. But giving up nothing to get nothing isn't terrible.

Plus, Jennings + Monroe for Rondo...

Eh, we were all going to complain about how terrible Knight is this year. Now we will just be doing the same but about Jennings instead. If they had given up a pick or something that would have been bad. But giving up nothing to get nothing isn't terrible.

Plus, Jennings + Monroe for Rondo...

Ha, I could see a Rondo deal in the future. No way I give up both of those guys, but that's another issue ;)

Like you said though, we didn't give up any picks or important assets, so its not overly harmful. 3 year deal too. I think it will be exciting to watch. We are undoubtedly much more talented at the 1,2 and 3 this year IMO.

Its kind of interesting to look at it like this. Ben Gordon, 2014 1st, Knight,Middleton,Kratsov and the leftover cap space from Max/Rip expiring for Jenning,Smith and Datome. Do we come out ahead?

Shots attempted per36 last year:

Singler - 10.1 (Could also put Prince here at 12 FGA per36)

Calderon - 9.6

Total - 19.7

Smith - 15.9

Jennings - 15.5

Total - 31.4

Probably translates to less shots for Monroe. Greg took 14.2 FGA's per36 last year.

if the our Big(as in large not as in star players) 3 doesn't work out I would definitely be okay with trading Monroe for Rondo if Rondo comes back this season and looks like he's at least pretty close to his old self...and perhaps pairing Jennings and getting a 1st rounder back in return wouldn't be so bad, particularly if it's their 2014 1st (probably top 5).

Let's see how this season goes though. I do like the "outcast's" vibe this team has. Similar to the 2004 team but with a better pedigree. Kinda like had we signed Sheed(Smith) instead of traded for Rip. Jennings definitely has the potential to become a C-Note type of player if he's willing to make the changes to his game that Chauncey did.

Jennings = C-Note

Drummond = Big Ben

Monroe = Dyce

Smith = Sheed

We don't have a Prince or a Rip yet. I guess we see what happens with KCP and maybe we can trade for our new version of Prince.

I would be tickled with a Monroe/Jennings for Rondo trade. Monroe will always be a serviceable big because he has good fundamentals and passes well. However, he has no athleticism, can't block shots and gets his shots blocked too often. His new contract will be more than I would be willing to pay him.

so tired of hearing this...in a league surrounded by the best athletes in the world he averages 16ppg and 10 rpg but he has "no athleticism".

Brandon Jennings will be introduced Tuesday - Detroit Bad Boys

The Detroit Pistons have announced that they will formally introduce Brandon Jennings, the newest member of the organization, at 2 p.m. Tuesday at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

The introductory news conference will also be streamed live on Pistons.com and Palacenet.com.

More at the link

if the our Big(as in large not as in star players) 3 doesn't work out I would definitely be okay with trading Monroe for Rondo if Rondo comes back this season and looks like he's at least pretty close to his old self...and perhaps pairing Jennings and getting a 1st rounder back in return wouldn't be so bad, particularly if it's their 2014 1st (probably top 5).

Let's see how this season goes though. I do like the "outcast's" vibe this team has. Similar to the 2004 team but with a better pedigree. Kinda like had we signed Sheed(Smith) instead of traded for Rip. Jennings definitely has the potential to become a C-Note type of player if he's willing to make the changes to his game that Chauncey did.

Jennings = C-Note

Drummond = Big Ben

Monroe = Dyce

Smith = Sheed

We don't have a Prince or a Rip yet. I guess we see what happens with KCP and maybe we can trade for our new version of Prince.

Mitchell can be that guy with development, but we shall see.

so tired of hearing this...in a league surrounded by the best athletes in the world he averages 16ppg and 10 rpg but he has "no athleticism".

Well, compared to his peers, he doesn't. He just isn't that athletic, that is why he can't block anyone.

I'll remember that the next time I see him get his layup swatted at the rim because he can't jump.

You Monroe lovers are so sensitive. Signing him to a max deal would be a real mistake.

Well, compared to his peers, he doesn't. He just isn't that athletic, that is why he can't block anyone.

He's really good at yelling "And 1" though

“I definitely have to change my game, for my teammates and myself to be successful,” Jennings said. “We have a great frontcourt and some great vets. The things I was doing in Milwaukee, I don’t have to do here, taking all those bad shots, I don’t have to do here.”

From The Detroit News: Brandon Jennings vows to drop the bad shots with Pistons | The Detroit News

You know I kind of believe him. Love the fact he is not sensitive about that particular criticism.

You know I kind of believe him. Love the fact he is not sensitive about that particular criticism.

Not getting the high demand in free agency and huge contract he expected probably factored into it as well.