Sign in to follow this  
DaBishop

? about Pudge

What is the consensus on how Pudge handles pitchers? I know he's already considered one of the best defensive catchers ever and is an offensive force at the plate but what do they say about his ability to manage a game, and would having him behind the plate be a huge calming influence for our young pitchers, cause that might be the biggest way he could help the team if that's another of his strong suits.

Before last season he had a poor reputation with handling pitchers. It may have been because he caught a weak pitching staff in Texas.

That is another reason we should get him. I think he handled Florida's staff very well last year. I don't think they would have won the World Series without Pudge.

If I remember correctly, there were some knocks on Pudge in Texas as far as his calling mostly fastballs and not attending the pitchers' meetings. I didn't hear anything like that about him in Florida. In fact, pretty much the exact opposite. He was reportedly a lot more involved with the pitchers there.

Originally posted by Los Gatos

If I remember correctly, there were some knocks on Pudge in Texas as far as his calling mostly fastballs and not attending the pitchers' meetings. I didn't hear anything like that about him in Florida. In fact, pretty much the exact opposite. He was reportedly a lot more involved with the pitchers there.

I think a lot of that is perception. Texas had a crappy staff so IROD was a poor handler of pitchers. Florida had a good staff so he was a good handler of pitchers. Does anyone have any stats on catcher era (compared to his backups) over the course of his career ? That is, do pitchers consistently do better when he is the catcher as opposed to his backups ?