MIguy

Predict the Wolverines record for 2013

They probably should've been showing up to games the last 5 years.

How could a freshman this year pull that off?

They probably should've been showing up to games the last 5 years.

who is 'they'. You can't categorize 40,000 strong student body as a 'they' The big shift is that fewer and fewer of the student body are even fans than used to be - let along those that do buy tickets showing up late - which is also partly because it's you get in a lot quicker if you wait until after kickoff. The infrastructure around the stadium really can't handle 110,000 people. It's at a point of overkill.

so you spend 4 or 5 years at the U, can only get a general admission ticket, and then are expected to spend an extra 3 hr of the day standing in line to get the seat that other schools give you based on your class priority? OK

I think you mess with tradition at your peril.

And I believe its the top of bowl they have removed from the students section in response.

They should just go to a Division II school then. Our tickets were free, and the stands were never full. That was despite a 30 game win streak, which was the longest of the 90's and 5th longest win streak of all time. The point is, if you want plenty of student seating, go to a Division II school. At a place like UM, you should have to pay full price for your seats.

T.... At a place like UM, you should have to pay full price for your seats.

whoa - that's cold man. The seat license too?

Last I knew underclassmen, or maybe just freshmen, were getting split season tickets. I don't know if that was a temporary thing or not but it effects interest.

With Devin Gardner at QB I have Michigan at 10-2. If Hoke and Borges had their way, I'd put Michigan at 8-4/7-5.

I know it probably pains Brady Hoke and Al Borges that their boy Russell Bellomy went down with a torn ACL. I think Hoke and Borges had every intention this season of pulling Gardner for Bellomy the first chance they got. I don't think Hoke cares in the least for Devin Gardner and his style of play. Having recruited both Bellamy and Morris I believe that Hoke, like Lloyd Carr, likes QB's who stand in the pocket, never check their blindside and get sacked more often then they should (see John Navarre-Chad Henne).

vs. Central Michigan W

vs. Notre Dame W

vs. Akron W

at Connecticut W

vs. Minnesota (Homecoming) W

at Penn State W

vs. Indiana W

at Michigan State L

vs. Nebraska W

at Northwestern W

at Iowa W

vs. Ohio State L

What in the hell are you talking about?

I think they beat Ohio this year.
Losing to Ohio
Presumably, this would mean Ohio and Michigan would be the division champs
Losses to Ohio, NW, and one of Nebraska, ND, Msu.

"Ohio" is in the MAC, I don't see them on the schedule. I fail to see how disrespecting your opponents is classy, but Hoke started it then it must be the thing for the cool kids to do.

vs. Central Michigan W

vs. Notre Dame L

vs. Akron W

at Connecticut W

at Penn State L

vs. Indiana W

at Michigan State L

vs. Nebraska L

at Northwestern L

at Iowa W

vs. Ohio State L

6-6 is my prediction.

"Ohio" is in the MAC, I don't see them on the schedule. I fail to see how disrespecting your opponents is classy, but Hoke started it then it must be the thing for the cool kids to do.

vs. Central Michigan W

vs. Notre Dame L

vs. Akron W

at Connecticut W

at Penn State L

vs. Indiana W

at Michigan State L

vs. Nebraska L

at Northwestern L

at Iowa W

vs. Ohio State L

6-6 is my prediction.

My prediction is you have no clue about college football.

BTW, "Ohio" calls UM "the school up north". Both names are lame, but I see no reason to be pissy about it.

My prediction is you have no clue about college football.

BTW, "Ohio" calls UM "the school up north". Both names are lame, but I see no reason to be pissy about it.

Well we'll see in November, eh?

Last I knew underclassmen, or maybe just freshmen, were getting split season tickets. I don't know if that was a temporary thing or not but it effects interest.

That happened in 1997, but I don't remember hearing that it had happened since.

How could a freshman this year pull that off?

They couldn't, but they can also now get better seats than they otherwise would have without general seating, so I wouldn't complain if I were a freshman.

who is 'they'. You can't categorize 40,000 strong student body as a 'they' The big shift is that fewer and fewer of the student body are even fans than used to be - let along those that do buy tickets showing up late - which is also partly because it's you get in a lot quicker if you wait until after kickoff. The infrastructure around the stadium really can't handle 110,000 people. It's at a point of overkill.

While the crunch to get in right at kickoff is indeed an issue, that's not the reason that sections remained partially empty well into the second quarter over the last couple years.

The general admission seating does have an effect on juniors and seniors that were expecting better seats.

However, the argument that everyone has to wait in line for three hours is a straw man. This might be true if you want the very best seats, but I think that's a fair price to pay given the value of said seats.

For most students, merely showing up 30 minutes prior will probably suffice to get a pretty good seats. If you choose to show up late or right as the game is starting, you might end up near the top.

I don't think asking the students to give up a small amount of drinking time is out of line. It rewards people that care to invest a small amount of time waiting in line.

Anyone that has spent any time as a student at Michigan knows that the sections were basically GA anyway, and showing up late meant that you sat near the top.

They couldn't, but they can also now get better seats than they otherwise would have without general seating, so I wouldn't complain if I were a freshman.

I still think it's counter productive. Low end zone seats are pretty horrible for football. You sit there knowing that in 2 or three years you might have a really good seat (I got to the 40 yrd line 50 rows up as a grad student). That's a big driver in deciding to pay for end zone seat as a Frosh. Take that away and your are just going to lose total students interest - which is what is happening and supposedly what Brandon is trying to reverse. Under this scheme they are going to lose progressively more upperclassmen who spent a year with the drunks and the crazies in the freshmen dorm blocks and decided to screw it next time around.

Is ticket availability guaranteed with general admission?

EDIT: That's not worded very well. Is season ticket availability effected by general admission? (ie, did thy also shrink the student section along with changing the seating policy)

Edited by sagnam

I still think it's counter productive. Low end zone seats are pretty horrible for football. You sit there knowing that in 2 or three years you might have a really good seat (I got to the 40 yrd line 50 rows up as a grad student). That's a big driver in deciding to pay for end zone seat as a Frosh. Take that away and your are just going to lose total students interest - which is what is happening and supposedly what Brandon is trying to reverse. Under this scheme they are going to lose progressively more upperclassmen who spent a year with the drunks and the crazies in the freshmen dorm blocks and decided to screw it next time around.

I don't believe that your theory is sound. I don't think general admission is going to affect student ticket demand in the slightest, and even if it does, it would be minimal. Anyone deciding not to get a student ticket because of it isn't likely a big fan anyway.

That doesn't mean that the general admission solution will necessarily solve the problem of late arrival. A student arriving late was going to end up at the top, most likely, as the amount of people that would show up late and demand their seat was small. So the same people will show up late but end up in the end zone. Either way, they didn't much care, so what's the difference?

This is how student seating works for basketball, and no one has a problem with, with people waiting in line all day for maize rage access, and no one complains.

I appreciate the complaints from the seniors and maybe juniors that were planning to show up on time who were looking at pretty great seats this year. This kind of sucks for them.

Anyone getting stuck near the late arriving drunks is getting stuck there because they were also late arriving. It's easy to fix by simply arriving a short amount of time before the game. This is not an unreasonable request.

What will happen is that people will learn to weigh the benefits against the coats of arriving early, and act according to what is more important to them.

The people that value a good seat over drinking time will be rewarded with be rewarded with a good seat. The people that value drinking over a good seat will be rewarded with extra drinking time.

If people choose not to get tickets going forward because they couldn't bother to spend some time waiting in line, so be it.

Is ticket availability guaranteed with general admission?

EDIT: That's not worded very well. Is season ticket availability effected by general admission? (ie, did thy also shrink the student section along with changing the seating policy)

I don't know for sure, but I believe that every student that wants a student ticket and submits their request prior to the deadline is guaranteed a student ticket.

I don't see how the general admission policy would require a change in the process for allocating X number of tickets for students.

Certainly... can they lose 6 games in November?

No, but they can have 6 losses by then. Good lord man, it's a prediction thread and I made mine. You seem pretty butthurt that I'm not drinking the koolaid. In reality it doesn't matter one bit what I think or what you think, the results will be there in November for all to see and we'll know came closer to the actual outcome.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that every student that wants a student ticket and submits their request prior to the deadline is guaranteed a student ticket.

I don't see how the general admission policy would require a change in the process for allocating X number of tickets for students.

I didn't think it would require changing the process, I just wondered if they decided to take the opportunity to do so.

The only reason I can think they would change the process is to ease the transition from general admission to assigned seating. Unless they get exactly the right number of student applications to fully fill out the sections, there will likely be a section of both types of seating. If they were to limit the available general admission tickets then there would not be any mixing.

I don't believe that your theory is sound. I don't think general admission is going to affect student ticket demand in the slightest,

I think the facts are proving to be otherwise.

Michigan to open up 2,000 single-game football tickets behind student section

The move frees up approximately 26 rows in three sections. Ablauf said the department made the decision after approximately 2,000 fewer student tickets were purchased during the student ticket purchase window. Single-game tickets went on sale to the general public Aug. 1.

Considering that enrolments are at all time highs, that's not movement in the right direction.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I think the facts are proving to be otherwise.

Michigan to open up 2,000 single-game football tickets behind student section

Considering that enrolments are at all time highs, that's not movement in the right direction.

You don't think the price increase has played a role? It really doesn't bother me...I was at too many games last season watching the student section fill up slowly and for some games, not at all. If they don't sell the single-game tickets then there will be a problem in which case I am sure Brandon will recalibrate.

You don't think the price increase has played a role? It really doesn't bother me...I was at too many games last season watching the student section fill up slowly and for some games, not at all. If they don't sell the single-game tickets then there will be a problem in which case I am sure Brandon will recalibrate.

I don't know how you would separate the two effects, but it's a pretty affluent student body on average.

That would be the worst 10-2 record ever.

I think your comment regarding Gardner is dead wrong.

What about it is wrong? And are you saying that you want/wanted Russell Bellomy to start at quarterback?

I don't know how you would separate the two effects, but it's a pretty affluent student body on average.

As a student I knew a lot of kids who weren't affluent and a lot who were. Mostly I knew people who bought football tickets with no other calculation than social.

What in the hell are you talking about?

It was clear last year who both Hoke and Borges favored as their starting quarterback when Robinson was injured. If they had favored Gardner he would have went into the Nebraska game when Robinson went down. Instead, they put the guy they wanted in the game, Russell Bellomy. Bellomy had zero business being in that game, as showcased by his 3-16, 38yd, 3 INT performance. I also believe that had Bellomy not gone down with a torn ACL in the sprint, Hoke would have him as the starting QB this year over Gardner. I don't believe Bellomy would be nearly as successful as Gardner. Since he can't though, Hoke is forced to go with Gardner and tailor (hopefully) an offense around him. Thus, I believe Michigan will have a better record with Gardner under center.