T&P_Fan

Chauncey Billups returns to the Pistons

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

Source: Chauncey Billups will re-sign multiyear deal with Detroit

Y! SPORTS

Well, I guess we got our point guard.

Billups has not looked good the past few years. He is not the same Chauncey we knew. I am hoping he is a backup who can mentor Knight, but I do not want to see him playing big minutes.

Good news is another move has to be coming. We are over the roster limit.

Billups has not looked good the past few years. He is not the same Chauncey we knew. I am hoping he is a backup who can mentor Knight, but I do not want to see him playing big minutes.

Well I think that is tough to gauge. Billups missed half of 11-12 and then the beginning of last year as well. This will be a full 18 months since he tore his achilles, I know he is 36, but he is better than anything the Pistons have. Knight shouldn't be our starting PG.

Well I think that is tough to gauge. Billups missed half of 11-12 and then the beginning of last year as well. This will be a full 18 months since he tore his achilles, I know he is 36, but he is better than anything the Pistons have. Knight shouldn't be our starting PG.

True, depends on his health. But this team will be a lot more fun to watch next year, that is for sure.

Heck, let's bring back Ben too. Let him work with our big men along with Sheed.

True, depends on his health. But this team will be a lot more fun to watch next year, that is for sure.

Heck, let's bring back Ben too. Let him work with our big men along with Sheed.

And the Bulls just released Rip. Get the band back together.

And the Bulls just released Rip. Get the band back together.

On one hand I joke, on the other hand, this team needs some entertainment value. The Palace has been way too empty. I really think getting the old crew together would bring excitement back to the Pistons.

Good news is another move has to be coming. We are over the roster limit.

I hope so. Please get Rondo and Billups will be his backup.

As everyone probably knows, Billups is a class act and great teammate, so he is a great addition as a backup.

Looks like Dumars is trying to get '04 crew back together in part. Signing Billups might be good from a mentoring perspective, but I'm not sure what to make of it from a roster building perspective. I understanding signing Bynum or Billups to a degree, but I can't understand bringing them both back with all of the other guards we already have.

What a dumb move.

Oh you just need a cup of coffee. Let it sink in a bit, you know, all that nostalgia.

Oh you just need a cup of coffee. Let it sink in a bit, you know, all that nostalgia.

I prefer winning.

On one hand I joke, on the other hand, this team needs some entertainment value. The Palace has been way too empty. I really think getting the old crew together would bring excitement back to the Pistons.

I'd rather focus efforts on a proper rebuild, which can't be continued due to the playoffs ultimatum issued by Gores. Let's hope the young talent the Pistons have been drafting over the past few years will develop into the kind of players they need to be championship contenders.

It's not an awful move if Billups is here purely as a mentor who will come off the bench but if he's brought back to be a starter, me no likey. His game has clearly trended downward the last few seasons.

With that being said, this team is in desperate need of leadership and Billups brings tons of that so he should be good for the team as long as he's not playing too many minutes.

:crosseye:

I think you all are too hard on Knight. He's 21 years old. If you recall, Billups struggled his first few years in the league, and didn't look like an NBA caliber point guard until his mid 20's.

Edited by Longgone

I think you all are too hard on Knight. He's 21 years old. If you recall, Billups struggled his first few years in the league, and didn't look like an NBA cabilber point guard until his mid 20's.

Perhaps Dumars sees Knight as another Billups in terms of late development, and hopes that Billups' influence will "flip the point guard switch" sooner than later.

Billups can hit 3's, handle the ball, command the court, hit 90% of his free throws and he is ANOTHER throw back to the good ole days...2 years as a back up? LOVE IT!

Perhaps Dumars sees Knight as another Billups in terms of late development, and hopes that Billups' influence will "flip the point guard switch" sooner than later.

Brandon Knight is not a late developer. He is 21 years old. For comparison, he is the same age as Victor Oladipo. Knight is going into his 3rd season, Oladipo his first.

Knight is very young, and has a lot of room to grow. But to compare him to Billups at this point in his career is unfair. Billups was in the NBA for 6 seasons before joining the Pistons. And he played 2 seasons in college compared to 1 season in college from Knight. He could definitely use some mentor-ship from Billups, as could the rest of this team.

We haven't had a leader since Billups was traded.

I have always been a fan of Knight. I think the kid has mad game and will only get better. I cannot understand the venom he gets from fans.

I have always been a fan of Knight. I think the kid has mad game and will only get better. I cannot understand the venom he gets from fans.

The venom is from his inability to run an offense. Part of that is unfair. He is 21, played with very little talent, had very little veteran leadership around him and played his rookie season after the lockout. But a lot of it is on him too. There are definite questions about his ability to play point guard, or if he is a combo guard.

The venom is from his inability to run an offense. Part of that is unfair. He is 21, played with very little talent, had very little veteran leadership around him and played his rookie season after the lockout. But a lot of it is on him too. There are definite questions about his ability to play point guard, or if he is a combo guard.

Ok...so you just said the venom was because the inability to 'run an offense' and then you go on to give REALLY good examples of why most of that is not really his fault. :confused: