Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

Brendan Shanahan, Chris Chelios: Hall of Famers

I wonder if Chelios goes in as a Wing or a Blackhawk.

I'm not sure with the HHOF if you go in for a particular team like you do in baseball. I think of Chelios as a Hawk primarily, but he won a Cup with Montreal and a Cup with Detroit and none with Chicago.

Chris_Chelios_14_slide.jpg

Edited by lordstanley

I'm not sure with the HHOF if you go in for a particular team like you do in baseball. I think of Chelios as a Hawk primarily, but he won a Cup with Montreal and a Cup with Detroit and none with Chicago.

I forgot about Montreal. He basically covered 3 different eras in hockey.

Will they retire #14?

I don't think so. I think he's in a tier with Fedorov - above Osgood but below Yzerman and Lidstrom. Furthermore, I think Datsyuk and Zetterberg both have work to do to get their numbers retired - wouldn't if their careers ended today.

I feel like this is the kind of thing that's missing from the Wings. The courage to pull off a big trade. Bowman seemed to want to do those kind of things, while Holland seems to play it more safe. I just don't think you can build a winner with free agent signings of older guys and picking up guys off the scrap heap for a low draft pick. It works when you have stars in their prime, but right now, our stars are all in their mid-30's and it doesn't seem like any of the younger guys are quite ready to pass the torch to.

I think Hank and Pavel have chances to get their numbers retired. They are both up there in career points and playoff stats with the Wings. But I agree they need to do more to make a good case.

Happy Shanny got in after being snubbed for some reason last year. I miss hearing that Irish jig after goals.

Red Kelly deserves a jersey retirement before anyone else (though Lidstrom's is obviously going up next). It's a joke that it hasn't happened yet. And of course, Aurie needs to be re-retired, but that's more a matter of principle.

Congrats to Cheli and Shanny regardless!

Reed Larson may have been my first "Favorite Red Wing".

Was surprised that Red Kelly's number wasn't retired in the early '90s when Abel and Lindsay's were. Can't see it happening now.

Aurie was an important player of the '30s on the Wings' first two Cup winners, and while he wouldn't reach today's standard of a retired jersey it was a bona fide move by the Wings back then at the time. I can see both sides to that argument. I'd lean towards confirming its retirement.

I never got to see him play, but my parents got my name from him.

Aurie's a weird case, because he's obviously well below any player with a retired jersey (or even several up for debate, like Shanny, Fedorov, or Ozzie). And I know and admire that the Wings hold high standards for retiring a jersey. But he's a (back-to-back Cup-winning) Red Wing, and retroactively "un-retiring" him (yes I know the number's not in circulation) just seems disrespectful. It doesn't "take away" from the other retired jerseys. It was in the franchise's infancy and a special case; I think people could understand that.

I enjoy looking into the history of my teams, which is what brought Kelly to my attention, even though I obviously never saw him play. It's a really strange case, because as far as numbers, award votes, and writers from the day go, his impact was easily comparable to Lindsay, Abel, or Sawchuk's. He was active in all four Cup playoff runs (which Howe, Abel, Sawchuk, and Delvecchio can't say), he was a captain, and though he only won one Norris, he was the only unanimous All-Star d-man for the three years prior to the award's creation. He's easily one of the Wings' top two defensemen.

He clashed with Adams and got sent packing, but so did Lindsay. Adams was notoriously controlling of players, so I find it questionable to hold that against Kelly. Is it because he had the nerve to find further success with Toronto after Adams wanted no part of him anymore?

I agree that it probably won't happen at this point; I just enjoy discussing the historical side of sports and it really seems like he's earned it (and it'd be nice to do while he's still alive).

Reed Larson as you no doubt have heard from your parents was renowned for his booming slapshot. I remember listening to a game once and Larson blasted a shot right through the net. Now, it may just have been a case of faulty netting, but veteran pbp man Bruce Martyn thought it was a big deal and so it made a lasting impression on me as a youngster at the time.

My guess with Red Kelly is that he differs from the other Wings with retired numbers, in that all the others were either career Wings or at least remembered first and foremost as Wings. Kelly has almost as much success individually with the Leafs as with the Wings and as much team success with the Leafs. Plus he coached them in the '70s - because I am old enough to remember him as the Leafs coach, that is even how I think of him. But yes, clearly the 2nd best defenseman in Wings history. .