ballmich

Syrian Rebels launched the Chemical Weapons, not Assad

We shouldn't be too worried about how others view us, certainly not on a situation by situation basis. This still has to play out.

I disagree with your opinion. If countries are allowed to use chemical weapons, what is next? At this point in history, the US enforces most of the rules, most people call foul against us, but when they are in trouble, we are the first country they turn to. Accepting the hit would be the worst thing Obama could do at this point. He has to attack.

Edit: I just saw your Putin comment. Again, I don't think one situation where Putin is obviously trying to embarrass Obama should hold much merit, Putin has a reputation that certainly precedes him. And if Assad is taken out, then it doesn't matter what Putin said anyway.

There is no way he can attack now. Congress is extremely unlikely to vote to authorize force in light of the Russian peace proposal taking care of the remaining chemical weapons. The American people won't support it either. In fact, i would not be surprised if Putin pledges to protect Syria from any US attack now in light of that agreement.

We've lost this round of brinksmanship.

This hasn't even played out yet. Do you think Syria will be saying it played us like a fiddle if Damascus is bombed and Assad is killed?

Two can play that game -- do you think Syria will be saying that if Russia takes out the US 6th fleet after we send some missiles into Syria? The point is, we are giving Russian and Syria more credibility in the eyes of the world. The more credibility they get, the more support they're going to have to defend themselves, and the less the US is going to receive.

There is no way he can attack now. Congress is extremely unlikely to vote to authorize force in light of the Russian peace proposal taking care of the remaining chemical weapons. The American people won't support it either. In fact, i would not be surprised if Putin pledges to protect Syria from any US attack now in light of that agreement.

Right, if you take the Russian proposal at face value, then US intervention doesn't make sense, unless the Obama admin is lying and this is actually about regime change.

That entire statement is idiotic. Like another group of bureaucrats cannot be created instantly to oversee Syria's weapons. The US's position has no credibility. Russia/Syrian played us like a fiddle.

I report, you decide. :-)

Looks like all kinds of fiddles are being played here. Seems Israel is playing our fiddle too. Maybe they should all start a band, kick back, smoke a doobie. Make love, not war.

Peace bro, don't shoot the messenger.

Who is to say that Russia.Syria came up with this plan instead of Putin.Obama, who just met last week? This "peaceful" solution seems phony from the get go. If Syria gives up full control of it's chemical weapons I fail to see the logic of Putin playing Obama like a fiddle. Isn't reduction of deadly weapons in the hands of ruthless dictators the end goal here?

Two can play that game -- do you think Syria will be saying that if Russia takes out the US 6th fleet after we send some missiles into Syria? The point is, we are giving Russian and Syria more credibility in the eyes of the world. The more credibility they get, the more support they're going to have to defend themselves, and the less the US is going to receive.

One thing we know won't happen out of all of this...Russia attacking the US. Russia isn't about to go all Rambo on us over Syria.

I report, you decide. :-)

Looks like all kinds of fiddles are being played here. Seems Israel is playing our fiddle too. Maybe they should all start a band, kick back, smoke a doobie. Make love, not war.

Peace bro, don't shoot the messenger.

My comment wasn't aimed at you, but our idiotic state department know-nothing busybody.

One thing we know won't happen out of all of this...Russia attacking the US. Russia isn't about to go all Rambo on us over Syria.

I think it's about as likely as the US taking out Assad with a missile.

Let's just get on with it. Blow something up, get Russia and China all pissed off, get a war started (a big one) then let Iran close the St. of Hormuz. Oil goes to 200 bucks a barrel overnight, the US goes into a depression that we can't dig out of for a generation.

Yea, that's the ticket....

Russia has plenty at stake here. Start with this thing called Gazprom.

Let's just get on with it. Blow something up, get Russia and China all pissed off, get a war started (a big one) then let Iran close the St. of Hormuz. Oil goes to 200 bucks a barrel overnight, the US goes into a depression that we can't dig out of for a generation.

Yea, that's the ticket....

There certainly could be a case of dominoes in the middle east, but Syria isn't the 1st domino, nor are they near the front.

There certainly could be a case of dominoes in the middle east, but Syria isn't the 1st domino, nor are they near the front.

Agree. This is the early to middle part of the chess game. We have lost a few pawns, a bishop, and a knight, but the game is still on. The endgame is the Caspian basin and the petrodollar. What we are watching now is the court jesters entertaining the herd. The clippers are being sharpened in the other room.

John Kerry gives Syria week to hand over chemical weapons or face attack | World news | theguardian.com

Kerry gives Syria a week....to hand 'em over:

The US secretary of state has said that President Bashar al-Assad has one week to hand over his entire stock of chemical weapons to avoid a military attack. But John Kerry added that he had no expectation that the Syrian leader would comply.

Kerry also said he had no doubt that Assad was responsible for the chemical weapons attack in east Damascus on 21 August, saying that only three people are responsible for the chemical weapons inside Syria – Assad, one of his brothers and a senior general. He said the entire US intelligence community was united in believing Assad was responsible.

Kerry was speaking on Monday alongside the UK foreign secretary, William Hague, who was forced to deny that he had been pushed to the sidelines by the House of Commons decision 10 days ago to reject the use of UK force in Syria.

The US Senate is due to vote this week on whether to approve an attack and Kerry was ambivalent over whether Barack Obama would use his powers to ignore the legislative chamber, if it were to reject an attack.

Or maybe not....:

The US state department stressed that Kerry was making a rhetorical argument about the one-week deadline and unlikelihood of Assad turning over Syria's chemical weapons stockpile. In a statement, the department added: "His point was that this brutal dictator with a history of playing fast and loose with the facts cannot be trusted to turn over chemical weapons, otherwise he would have done so long ago. That's why the world faces this moment."

:silly:

Al Qaeda's air force, paid for by the Sheik's of Saudi Arabia, the Hashemite King and other middle eastern dicatators.

Frankly they interviewed Assad on Charlie Rose and he made some good points about Kerry's credibility as the accuser in chief. Seems like the admin should have pushed someone else out front on this rather then Kerry, he is too much of a laughing stock when it comes to exercising American power, now if you want to talk about attacking American power he is your man.

Not sure who that would be in this admin, Valerie Jarrett probably wouldn't have allowed them in the admin in the first place.

And don't be so sure that Obama wouldn't be happy enough to play Kerry out enough rope to hang himself as SOS. I never had the impression that Obama was all that happy in being pushed into accepting Kerry for the nod. I'm not suggesting that the President is manipulating policy deliberately to torpedo his SOS, only that if things go south for the SOS, the administration may not weep about it.

Good video of a citizen calling for McCain to be charged with treason over Syria. To his face. McCain just tries to laugh it off.

Good video of a citizen calling for McCain to be charged with treason over Syria. To his face. McCain just tries to laugh it off.

Dumb. Being wrong on an issue does not equal treason.

No problemo. McCain has already "guaranteed" that Russia won't act if we strike Syria. It's a bit of an empty guarantee, but I'm sure McCain will make good if he's wrong and we find ourselves in WWIII. Love how he plays dumb to that photo of him taken earlier this year with known terrorists, claiming he's insulted by the question.

Dumb. Being wrong on an issue does not equal treason.

No one said it does. McCain has gone well beyond just being wrong on this, as have most of the adminstration co-horts. He should be tried for treason. As should many of those people.

No one said it does. McCain has gone well beyond just being wrong on this, as have most of the adminstration co-horts. He should be tried for treason. As should many of those people.

They should all be tried for serving in the best interest of the lobbyists that pay them off.

They overheard a conversation between rebels? This is information you are convinced is the truth? I am not buying it.

I'm not one to argue with the validity of those who have been held captive and tortured. But fortunately, it is just one more weight in the measure, in addition to a lot of other evidence, that it was the FSA forces that were behind the chemical attacks. And the conversation overheard, alone, is more evidence than the US can contrive to support that it was Assad behind the attacks. That should tell everyone something.

They should all be tried for serving in the best interest of the lobbyists that pay them off.

Arming enemy combatants, and training them, is treason. Sorry if McCain is one of your heros, but the guy is a traitor.

Arming enemy combatants, and training them, is treason. Sorry if McCain is one of your heros, but the guy is a traitor.

McCain is far from being a hero of mine. I'm frustrated by the eagerness of politicians to go to war, and I think the defense industry (which should be called the "war lobby") has paid them off for that eagerness.

No problemo. McCain has already "guaranteed" that Russia won't act if we strike Syria. It's a bit of an empty guarantee, but I'm sure McCain will make good if he's wrong and we find ourselves in WWIII. Love how he plays dumb to that photo of him taken earlier this year with known terrorists, claiming he's insulted by the question.

Kerry made the same claim last week...right before Putin called him a liar. If, however, you think that a US military action is going to start WWIII, if you think Russia's interest in protecting Syria is that deeply vested, then it would seem it's only a matter of time. This isn't to say I support military action...I just think the region is unraveling.