KleShreen

2013 Trade Deadline Chatter

I know we tend to have one of these each year. Whether it's about the Tigers or otherwise. So I thought I would post this little tidbit from MLB Trade Rumors:

The Tigers had a scout at the Marlins-Giants series this weekend, reports Jason Beck of MLB.com. The Tigers are said to have interest in Miami relievers Steve Cishek and Ryan Webb.

Earlier this month the Marlins said they wouldn't trade Cishek this season, although we know how they are.

If we can pick up a solid pen guy I think we will be set. I trust Benoit to be able to close out games for us. I just dont see anything out there available that could make us much better at the closer position. Dombrowski will pull the trigger if it makes sense, or maybe even if it doesnt as long as it makes us better for that ring this year.

I'm happy with Benoit, and if we get a guy like Cishek, I think it would be to replace Benoit in the 8th rather than to close. No offense to Cishek, but I don't think I want a guy who "closes" for a team like the Marlins to come in and close out playoff games for us. Maybe he can do it, but I'm not going to put our whole season on it. I'd rather trust someone who's been through the pressure the past two years with us.

All that said, I still think the proper thing to do is to bring up Rondon and let him close for a few weeks to see if he can handle it. If so, then the problem is solved. If not, then stick Benoit back there and trade for Cishek or Crain to bridge the gap.

In addition to a bullpen arm or two, I wouldn't be surprised if they went hard after another bat; an OF or DH type like David Dejesus or Mike Morse if they come back from their DL stints well. I don't think they view Dirks as an everyday player, Garcia and Castellanos are not ready and they need insurance in case Martinez/Avila don't pick it up.

Edited by Scottwood

Garcia, Smyly, Dirks, and Castellanos for Stanton and Cishek.

Hmm, odds would seem against it, though one can never say... but the Marlins more than likely are not going to go after 'high' priced or soon to be types right now. What are they looking for? they got a SS from Toronto, have a 2B prospect and some good P & OF types (BTW Turner has been coming around and Brantly still seems to be in their plans). They could get a lot of course. The Tigs could be in the mix with the right package and the mentioned names may be close as the Marlins could move Nick C. back to 3B. Maybe someone could take the salary of Nolasco in the deal? It will depend on what the Fish want and how close they can get to it in a package (which might be a whopper). IMHO definitely worth looking into.

Not sure if I'd do that deal if I was the Tigers. While Stanton would certainly be an upgrade to the team, he's going to become expensive, and fast. With Cabrera, Fielder, and the starting pitchers eating up large chunks of salary (plus a raise to Jackson), want to have some balance with younger (cheaper) players who still produce offensively. Otherwise, the Tigers could end up having a lineup of Cabrera, Fielder, and 7 Danny Worth/Don Kelly-types.

you can't even get that deal done on mlb the show.

Well that's just because Stanton might be the hardest player to trade for (i've learned that the Marlins love Altuve so including him make it so you can trade two crappier guys for him)

Not sure if I'd do that deal if I was the Tigers. While Stanton would certainly be an upgrade to the team, he's going to become expensive, and fast. With Cabrera, Fielder, and the starting pitchers eating up large chunks of salary (plus a raise to Jackson), want to have some balance with younger (cheaper) players who still produce offensively. Otherwise, the Tigers could end up having a lineup of Cabrera, Fielder, and 7 Danny Worth/Don Kelly-types.

LOL, I thought about that. Well it would not be '7' Kelly / Worth types because adding Stanton would mkae 6 other spots. They would more than likely keep AJ - but in three years when Stanton's price goes up - VMart, Hunter and Jhonny (if resigned for 2 yrs) would be off the books. The Tigs would have to admittedly develop a couple young players ex ESuarez, HPerez, FMartinez, JMcCann, etc. Then instead of going the 'High' price DH you should be able to get a DH type or two for a reasonable amount like the NYY did with Hafner or the Rays always do with the likes of CPena, LScott, etc. It can be done... Then the SP

has a lot of Payroll as well - but the likes of GStanton with AJ, Miggy and Prince - well you could add younger, defensive types with speed (and a proven but aging DH or two) and it might not be all that bad of a team. - with 3 guys, when hot, all capable of carrying an offense for stretches at a time...

Respectfully, the Tigers may have to fill 2B and SS for 2014 if Peralta and Infante walk, so for the Tigers to consider trading Garcia, Smyly, Dirks, and Castellanos for Stanton and Cishek doesn't really add up to a win for me. The Tigers may very well need those same trade chips (Smyly, Garcia, etc) to help pay for a new SS and or 2B for 2014.

The Tigers may very well need those same trade chips (Smyly, Garcia, etc) to help pay for a new SS and or 2B for 2014.

That's what Max is for.

That's what Max is for.

Problem 1: If the Tigers trade Scherzer AND Smyly, who is #5 in the rotation?

Alvarez???

Problem #2: If something really is wrong with Verlander, trading away Scherzer doesn't look like a great move no matter who is your 5th starter for 2014 anyway...

Problem #3: Name a team that is in a position to give the Tigers a starting SS and a stating 2B for Scherzer?

Problem 1: If the Tigers trade Scherzer AND Smyly, who is #5 in the rotation?

Alvarez???

Problem #2: If something really is wrong with Verlander, trading away Scherzer doesn't look like a great move no matter who is your 5th starter for 2014 anyway...

Problem #3: Name a team that is in a position to give the Tigers a starting SS and a stating 2B for Scherzer?

1. you wouldn't trade Smyly. Plus you'd get back two really good close to the Big league prospects and maybe one or two more for Max. One of those prospects would be a high end pitcher that you can plug into the back of the rotation.

2. Love to keep Max but money comes into play here. He's a Boras client and a FA after 2014. He is for sure going to the market and teams like NYY, Cubs, Boston, Angels, Texas could all use a front line starter so his price is gonna be very high.

3. Don't think you get both, but you can certainly get the pitcher I mentioned above, and one of the position players (I think they resign Infante) but the Cubs could have the pieces if they can find a pitcher, Texas has the pieces, Baltimore has the pieces and probably a team I'm not thinking of.

1. you wouldn't trade Smyly. Plus you'd get back two really good close to the Big league prospects and maybe one or two more for Max. One of those prospects would be a high end pitcher that you can plug into the back of the rotation.

1) Just so we are on the same forum page, the suggested trade was:

Without Smyly in that trade, I'm sure the Marlins are saying to themselves, "you know, we already have one cost controlled superstar outfielder and one cost controlled closer, but let's trade them both for three cost controlled outfielders instead"....

totally gonna happen..

1) Just so we are on the same forum page, the suggested trade was:

Without Smyly in that trade, I'm sure the Marlins are saying to themselves, "you know, we already have one cost controlled superstar outfielder and one cost controlled closer, but let's trade them both for three cost controlled outfielders instead"....

totally gonna happen..

It's clear that we aren't on the same page. My response was only related to replacing 2nd and short in 14. It wasn't related to the proposed stanton trade and completely independent from that idea.

Only the fact that replacing Infante/Peralta can be done by trading Max, who is likely going to have to be moved.

It's clear that we aren't on the same page. My response was only related to replacing 2nd and short in 14. It wasn't related to the proposed stanton trade and completely independent from that idea.

Only the fact that replacing Infante/Peralta can be done by trading Max, who is likely going to have to be moved.

O....

K......

Because if we held onto say Garcia, Smyly, Dirks, and Castellanos (by not trading them for Stanton) then the Tigers might have enough chips to get a SS or a 2B replacement for the 2014 season without having to give up one of the top 3 pitchers (by WAR) in baseball right now that the Tigers have in Scherzer....

Scherzer isn't broke right now, don't try and fix him....

Edit: Keepleyland2 - I can see a bit more clearly what your saying and I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding on my part.

But to me trading Scherzer for a SS and a back of the rotation starter makes about as much sense as trading Cabrera for a top 10 starter and some guy who can play 3B. I'd rather see the Tigers make things happen via trade or free agency without trading away the top players unless it's absolutely necessary.

While it's true the offense has had something to do with Scherzer winning 11 games in a row without a loss, I'm sure Scherzer has something to do with the Tigers holding a 4 game lead over Cleveland for first place too.

Edited by STLTiger69

O....

K......

Because if we held onto say Garcia, Smyly, Dirks, and Castellanos (by not trading them for Stanton) then the Tigers might have enough chips to get a SS or a 2B replacement for the 2014 season without having to give up one of the top 3 pitchers (by WAR) in baseball right now that the Tigers have in Scherzer....

Scherzer isn't broke right now, don't try and fix him....

I'd love to keep max. But he's gonna get something like 8/170 so I'm not sure we can afford that/take the risk. So the best time to move him is in the offseason, to a team that can sign him. The return will make Granderson look like chump change.

I'd love to keep max. But he's gonna get something like 8/170 so I'm not sure we can afford that/take the risk. So the best time to move him is in the offseason, to a team that can sign him. The return will make Granderson look like chump change.

Yes, I'm quite sure the haul some other team would give to rent Scherzer for one season (2014) before he and his agent Scott Boras filed for free agency would be very amazing indeed.

Edited by STLTiger69