CMRivdog

New Stadium

Couldn't find old threads on the fate of the Joe, but this looks like it might be the real thing

New events center, Red Wings arena planned for north end of downtown Detroit | News - Home

A plan is in the works to bring an events center, including an arena for the Red Wings, to downtown Detroit.

Detroit's Downtown Development Authority outlined the plan Wednesday, saying the project would cost an estimated $650 million.

It would sit north of I-75 between Cass Avenue and Woodward Avenue.

The plan is subject to approval by Wayne County -- $365 million would be funded through private investment and the $284 million in public investment.

The arena would seat 18,000 and cost $450 million alone. It would include a 10,000-square-foot retail space, office space and a parking garage.

The DDA would own the development.

I think they are going to need to put up a size-able parking structure if they do end up putting it there though...you know how many people park in those lots for baseball games?

I think they are going to need to put up a size-able parking structure if they do end up putting it there though...you know how many people park in those lots for baseball games?

In theory, by the time this gets built, the M-1 light rail/streetcar line should be up and running, which would open up more parking possibilities, real/perceived safety issues aside.

A bit more information on the financing from Crains

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20130619/NEWS/130619810/dda-red-wings-unveil-650-million-arena-and-entertainment-complex#

The deal, between the DDA, Olympia Development LLC and Wayne County, is a memorandum of understanding, with a unanimous approval vote by the DDA.The 18,000-seat arena, with total event center space of 650,000 square feet, will cost $450 million. There will be 10,000 square feet of retail space on the ground level, a 105,000 square feet of office space and 35,000 square feet of retail.

According to the Detroit Economic Growth Corp., $285 million of the $650 million cost will be public, with $365.5 million in private funding.

The DDA and Olympia will operate the arena under a concession agreement. The Red Wings will pay $11.5 million annually as an arena concession fee, with that money going toward paying off 30-year bonds issued by the Michigan Strategic Fund.

The DDA will pay $62 million to Olympia via current tax capture if Olympia spends at least $200 million on additional development.

Illitch a while back hired an architectural firm. Have any renderings of the arena surfaced yet? I think the retro is played out. It's ok for Detroit to do something modern. Finally they can remove Joe Louis Arena and expand Cobo. This area between downtown and midtown really needed some development. I am apprehensive about Illitch though. He owns numerous buildings that are left to decay and promised an entertainment district for Comerica and we ended up with parking lots along Woodward.

More is coming from private investment than local funds....LOVE hearing that.

Yep, economic spin-offs from a sports stadium or sports franchise are typically grossly overstated. If I were a Detroit resident I could see voting this proposal down, as even 44% is higher than I would like.

I'm intrigued by this project...but definitely taking a wait and see approach. Don't trust Ilitch to do what he says he'll do.

Illitch a while back hired an architectural firm. Have any renderings of the arena surfaced yet? I think the retro is played out. It's ok for Detroit to do something modern. Finally they can remove Joe Louis Arena and expand Cobo. This area between downtown and midtown really needed some development. I am apprehensive about Illitch though. He owns numerous buildings that are left to decay and promised an entertainment district for Comerica and we ended up with parking lots along Woodward.

Are you saying Illitch hasn't done enough for Detroit?

Are you saying Illitch hasn't done enough for Detroit?

Illitch did more for Illitch than he did for Detroit. Having said that though, he did do things for Detroit while no one else was, so he looks like a winner by being the only girl in the beauty pagent.

I have no problem with someone winning a beauty pageant by being the only one who entered.

No small part of success is showing up and putting yourself out there.

Illitch did more for Illitch than he did for Detroit. Having said that though, he did do things for Detroit while no one else was, so he looks like a winner by being the only girl in the beauty pagent.

Could Illitch have done things for Illitch somewhere else though? Surely there were better places to develop and invest.

Could Illitch have done things for Illitch somewhere else though? Surely there were better places to develop and invest.

There probably were safer places to invest / develop, but after the fact I will say that investing in an area no one else will is probably the best way to become the big fish in a small pond.

I KNEW it was going to be there....I had a friend who thought it was going to be closer to Grand River..

downtown-development-map-jpg.jpg

It appears there is a rail of some sort around the area....the dotted lines....it has a key in the upper right hand corner, but I cannot make out what it says, but the dotted line goes around campus martius park, around comerica, down woodward, over to grand river and back again.

Probably not a rail, but I wonder why it is drawn on there?

I guess you can never be the good guy if you are rich. Not sure how much more the guy has to do short of splitting up his fortune equally to everyone in the city. :ermm:

They should install one of those lifts like they have at cedar point to take you from the greektown area all the way over to the new arena area.

lol

300px-Cedar_Point_Sky_Ride.jpg

They should install one of those lifts like they have at cedar point to take you from the greektown area all the way over to the new arena area.

lol

300px-Cedar_Point_Sky_Ride.jpg

Be hard to get mugged up there.

that map is a little deceptive because it shows Woodward as going straight South to North. As a result I'm having trouble making out the streets and what's what.

Here's one from google maps.

district_zps92d7e597.jpg

For Tiger games we park in the southern most area of this district. Interestingly enough, there's something going up right now. In the block bounded by the words "Mover" and "Clifford" there was an abandoned building and within the last few weeks a bunch of big containers were placed in the field, and now they're building some type of single story wood structure. The eastern sidewalk is now blocked off. There's a few businesses in the area already. Sure hope we don't lose our lot but it's just south of the empty County Building. It's next door to a redeveloped building and across from a bar.

Hard to tell where that foxtown stop would be...it APPEARS to be in front of compuware, but that would make zero sense...and I know it says foxtown/stadium, but the track appears to go all the way to compuware.

From compuware to Mack and Woodward is less than 2 miles...1.4 to be exact.

If the stadium stop is right in front of Comerica it would be .7 miles to the next stop at Mack.

Neither of those things seem right for some reason.

As of a couple months ago:

Feds Approve $140M Woodward Light Rail Project « CBS Detroit

The U.S. Department of Transportation has given final clearance to developers of a privately managed $140 million streetcar line following a 3.3-mile course through the heart of Detroit.

3.3 miles would be exactly from New Center area to compuware.