Deleterious

Sources: Detroit Pistons preparing to offer head-coaching job to Maurice Cheeks

This is a serious question:

Is there much difference between Cheeks and Frank as a head coach?

One is cheeky and the other is frank.

Pretty sure I've explained my logic over and over. At this point I think you're just being contradictory for the sake of it. I'm looking at his resume in the exact same career that the Piston's just hired him for, no different than I do at work when I'm conducting interviews. It's the logical thing that any responsible employer would do. Somehow that doesn't make logical sense to you. That's cool. I understand that common sense isn't all that common these days. When you have an argument other than we shouldn't judge him on his coaching history, I'd be happy to hear it. Until then your only role in this thread has been to be contradictory for the sake of it rather than putting forth an actual argument of your own because you feel the need to defend Dumars/Gores or simply because you've gone too far down the path to back peddle now. Either way, I've said what I have to say, see you in the other threads.

Well if you are hiring someone and their last place of business burned down while they were on vacation, do you hold it against them? The jailblazers stuff had nothing to do with Cheeks or any coach, I don't know how that could possibly not get through your skull. I mean, are you serious or just trying to mess with me here?

and I clearly never said "we shouldn't judge him on his coaching history". Jesus CHrist man.

This is a serious question:

Is there much difference between Cheeks and Frank as a head coach?

Clearly, none of us know.

Well if you are hiring someone and their last place of business burned down while they were on vacation, do you hold it against them? The jailblazers stuff had nothing to do with Cheeks or any coach, I don't know how that could possibly not get through your skull. I mean, are you serious or just trying to mess with me here?

and I clearly never said "we shouldn't judge him on his coaching history". Jesus CHrist man.

If he was on vacation I'd be happy to agree with you. He wasn't. It was his team. I think that matters and you don't. I don't think either of us are going to change the other's mind on that topic.

The bottom line for me is that I think he was the worst choice of all of those that we were considering based upon his coaching history and I haven't heard you refute that so while we may be fighting this battle we may still be on the same side in the war, I'm not sure. I think he's a nice guy and a wonderful NBA citizen. He's the type of guy that makes a great assistant coach because he can be the player's best friend. That's where he should have remained.

So quite simply, you think Gregg Poppovich would have gotten those guys to not get in trouble off the court(on court they were fine), is that the basic idea behind your theory?

If he was on vacation I'd be happy to agree with you. He wasn't. It was his team. I think that matters and you don't. I don't think either of us are going to change the other's mind on that topic.

The bottom line for me is that I think he was the worst choice of all of those that we were considering based upon his coaching history and I haven't heard you refute that so while we may be fighting this battle we may still be on the same side in the war, I'm not sure. I think he's a nice guy and a wonderful NBA citizen. He's the type of guy that makes a great assistant coach because he can be the player's best friend. That's where he should have remained.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

But I'm rooting for Cheeks to have learned something from his previous jobs.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.

But I'm rooting for Cheeks to have learned something from his previous jobs.

Exactly...it's a done deal now. Let's get over the disappointment and start thinking positively and hoping for the best.

New Detroit Pistons coach Maurice Cheeks wastes no time teaching young players | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

At his introductory news conference, Maurice (Mo) Cheeks said he was eager to get to work as the Pistons’ next coach.

But he has already made a small impact.

When Khris Middleton arrived Wednesday at the Pistons’ practice facility wearing an earring, the second-year small forward was told such accoutrements are a no-no at work.

The same goes for Jonas Jerebko’s flip-flops.

He has already had a conversation with Kim English about the meaning of accountability.

A mildly surprising development considering Cheeks’ reputation as a players’ coach — which some take as a guy who presides over a willy-nilly atmosphere.

But it’s just an example of the professionalism the Pistons hope Cheeks will bring to the organization.

Harping on trivial things like earrings and flip-flops might have been more appropriate back during Cheeks' playing days, but I don't see that translating very well with today's younger players.

Regardless, it's a fluff piece -- Vince Ellis probably consulted with Keith Langlois...

It really doesn't matter. If he wins nobody will care about the earrings and flip-flops. If he loses, players will ***** about it till the sun goes down.

Winning cures almost everything.

Harping on trivial things like earrings and flip-flops might have been more appropriate back during Cheeks' playing days, but I don't see that translating very well with today's younger players.

Regardless, it's a fluff piece -- Vince Ellis probably consulted with Keith Langlois...

Its definitely a fluff piece, but I think stuff like that matters. You have to set an overall tone.

Does it bug anyone else that Cheeks had to go out to California to meet with Gores? And Gores wasn't at the press conference?

Does it bug anyone else that Cheeks had to go out to California to meet with Gores? And Gores wasn't at the press conference?

It further solidifies my thought that Gores view the Pistons as more of a investment than an opportunity to compete for championships.

Which NBA owner would Gores be most comparable right now?

Yeah it does.

Gores goes to more Clipper games then he does Pistons games, he's not what I expected, I wish Ilitch and Tom Wilson would have got it, at least we know he cares. Gores is a suit who bought a team because that is what the cool guys do.

I'm thrilled Illitch didn't get the Pistons. The only reason he wanted them was to move them into his new building. Also, he has never shown any interest in basketball. Being the third rung on his ladder would have been bad. Plus, I have no interest in another owner passing away and leaving things up in the air.

Yah, lets not forget that Illitch let the Tigers toil in obscurity for quite a while. If he's not interested in a team in the moment, he doesn't necessarily run them great.

Phil probably told him not to come to Detroit...

Yah, lets not forget that Illitch let the Tigers toil in obscurity for quite a while. If he's not interested in a team in the moment, he doesn't necessarily run them great.

Not sure if that is an accurate representation of Ilitch's ownship of the Tigers.

He has a history of hiring a guy and getting out of his way. Works great if you hire the right guy. It's a disaster if you don't.

Not sure if that is an accurate representation of Ilitch's ownship of the Tigers.

He has a history of hiring a guy and getting out of his way. Works great if you hire the right guy. It's a disaster if you don't.

Even better, he has a history of hiring people who know what they're doing and getting out of their way. The only time he gets in their way is to spend more money on players.

You gotta spend some coin though.