Yoda

Is Peralta about to be suspended? Backup plan?

That's true. I still don't think he is a 4.1 to first. This is based solely on the pissing match between Keith law, Werner, and wheat on twitter last week.

I think he is fast for his size. His instincts for stealing may not be the best, but he runs the based effectively when the ball is put in play.

So if he's fast, but can't use his speed effectively, what use does being fast serve?

Stealing bases isn't the only way a player can use their speed.

1st to 3rd, 1st to home on doubles. Beating out infield hits, all of the things he has shown to do thus far.

Also things that players with slightly above average speed do as well.

Whether he is good is a different question of whether e has been valuable. Berry was valuable for a stretch last year, as well.

I'm not saying he is slow. I question 4.1. I don't think a guy with that speed would have been caught stealing 10 times in 33 attempts last year.

Frequently stealing is more about lead and jump than speed.

Also things that players with slightly above average speed do as well.

I don't disagree. I am just pointing out the things that he has done well. I am not arguing that he is a burner, just that he runs well.

My point is that people always mention his speed as some plus tool. I'm not so sure it is all that great. I think we've come to expect our players to be so slow that as soon as a guy shows up with decent speed he is considered "fast."

Sure. Right or wrong (I think right), PEDs are seen to favor power hitting which influences some of baseball's most cherished counting records involving HRs and legendary HR hitters.

Not an issue with Peralta, or any of the other guys on that list, of course, nor most of the baseball guys nabbed for violations so far, but you don't get at the big power-hitting cheaters unless you go after everybody equally. My sense is that baseball has, at least since about 2005 or so, been pretty aggressive and fair.

FWIW, I think they should be just as aggressive in other sports, because it helps to reduce pressure for players to have to use PEDs, and all of the attendant problems health-wise that comes with them....not to mention, the more sparsely enforced a policy is, the more likely the enforcement is to be applied unfairly IMHO. I personally don't follow other sports anymore, though.

I get why people are demanding that baseball be rid of PED. I agree with your points that people believe that PED affects power hitting (although, where's the research?) and that Babe Ruth's record should be defended as a nostalgic tribute to the clean living of a bygone era and all that. I get that. My question was, why is all the outrage directed at baseball and not football or basketball? Why aren't people screaming to have LeBron James or Kevin Durant or Adrian Petersen or Aldon Smith tested, found guilty and banned?

My question was directed more at any outraged poster who's screaming for the heads of "cheaters" to be placed on spikes at the gates as a warning to others. I'd like to hear from one of them on it. What's the difference between baseball and the other two sports that rates it special attention?

I think that when guys were hitting 60 and 70 homeruns every other year, is research enough that PEDs help power.

Edited by Antrat

A lot of people in this thread were Lance Armstrong supporters, weren't they?

Lance Armstrong is a pretty disgusting human being, so I don't really like him. If Jhonny Peralta did some steroids I really couldn't care less, if he also ruined people's lives by spreading horrible lies about them and spending millions of dollars on lawyers to destroy them, I would not like him very much anymore.

So other stuff.

Babe Ruth hit a lot more homers compared to the rest of the league than anyone proven to have been on steroids did. Steroids? Brown-Sequard Elixir? The performance enhancing power of cigars? Not having to face any minority pitchers and playing in a park basically built to help him hit? Who can say.

Steroids - The reason a lot of people don't get so upset about this is the ridiculous hyperbole often unleashed by people in MLB. Home runs were totally caused by steroids guys, and it was all the players fault, we didn't let it happen to recover from the strike, no way. The entire offensive era was all steroids, even though pitchers were almost certainly on just as many if not more drugs than hitters.

And you know what else? Steroids improve running speed, power, hand-eye coordination (Jim Bowden literally said this on MLB Network aghh) and basically everything else. They're a wonder drug that makes you a vastly superior player and human being. That's why most world militaries insist on elite soldiers being on the juice doncha know. If you take steroids, you will magically hit a ton of home runs no matter what.

Barry Bonds had a six year stretch leading up to when he supposedly started taking tons of drugs in which he hit .309 .448 .620 1.068. One of the greatest stretches in baseball history. But the Hall of Fame? Hahaha no way. And not only that, but we're going to keep out players who have never even been seriously linked to steroids. Because they MIGHT have touched something. Sorry Jeff Bagwell, get stuffed. We have to clear out room for Jim Rice and Goose Gossage. Those are deserving hall of famers.

Basically, it's not that I like steroid use or particularly want to defend players who used steroids, it's just that I tend to like the people who get really worked up about steroid use less than the players who used.

I think that when guys were hitting 60 and 70 homeruns every other year, is research enough that PEDs help power.

I can't tell whether you're being serious, but if you are: no, it's not.

Basically, it's not that I like steroid use or particularly want to defend players who used steroids, it's just that I tend to like the people who get really worked up about steroid use less than the players who used.

like-facebook.jpg

Another awesome post by Pyro. I can only conclude he's on steroids and anyone associated with him also probably used.

MIGuy, why are you eager to believe that Peralta used PEDs? Pudge and Ordonez were both rumored to have taken PEDs and nothing was ever proven. There have been lots of cases like that.

By the time Pudge got to Detroit he looked like he went from being a powerlifter to being a triathlete--major change in body composition.

By the time Pudge got to Detroit he looked like he went from being a powerlifter to being a triathlete--major change in body composition.

I suspect both of them took PEDs, but nothing was ever proven and neither was suspended.

Pudge still looked roided his first year with Detroit. I believe it was in the spring training of 05 or 06 he showed up much less pudge which raised quite a few eyebrows.

Much like Josh Hamilton showed up this year for the Angels.

If Peralta was using PEDS, I wish he would have been doing it in 2012. Particularly during the playoffs.

Define "worked up". Nobody here, especially me is worked up about Peralta's steroid use. All I'm doing is stating my opinion that if he's suspended for it, the Tigers need to do the right thing and part ways with him. Considering his contract ends after this season, it's the perfect time to do it.

I also stand by what I said in a previous post, if Peralta wasn't wrapped up in this, especially in a season where he's doing well, a lot of you would have a very different reaction to this news.

I also stand by what I said in a previous post, if Peralta wasn't wrapped up in this, especially in a season where he's doing well, a lot of you would have a very different reaction to this news.

Doubtful, but keep telling other people what they would do and how they'd feel.

You are on target. None of those numbers were real world. Just a lot of loud outs on the warning tract in the Maris era. He really did hit 61 home runs without becoming a pharmacy experiment ala Barry Bonds. Sorry, but his numbers just don't count IMO.

Imagine how may HRs Babe Ruth would have it if he too decent care of himself. Hark Aaron did it legit too.

Of topic but the Tigers should let Peralta go at the end of the season, regarless of this, and get a very good defense shortstop with great range. If we are going to keep playing Cabrera at 3rd and Fielder at 1st we need a shortstop who is very good defensively. Even if they only hit .220/.270/.350. Peralta will be 32 next year and could be looking for a several year deal. Anything more than a 2 year deal would be a bad idea.