Yoda

Is Peralta about to be suspended? Backup plan?

I would like to know this magic drug that can raise your batting average a hundred points. I would take it myself.

I took a magic drug for awhile that made me really witty. I stopped using right before I joined this board. MTS' loss.

I'd say a lot of people in this thread are fans of due process.

I prefer witch hunts.

How come there's seemingly endless outrage about steroids in baseball, but nary a cross word about steroids in football or basketball? Surely the problem is not so much bigger in baseball than the other two sports to warrant this imbalance? Anyone care to explain that?

Sure. Right or wrong (I think right), PEDs are seen to favor power hitting which influences some of baseball's most cherished counting records involving HRs and legendary HR hitters.

Not an issue with Peralta, or any of the other guys on that list, of course, nor most of the baseball guys nabbed for violations so far, but you don't get at the big power-hitting cheaters unless you go after everybody equally. My sense is that baseball has, at least since about 2005 or so, been pretty aggressive and fair.

FWIW, I think they should be just as aggressive in other sports, because it helps to reduce pressure for players to have to use PEDs, and all of the attendant problems health-wise that comes with them....not to mention, the more sparsely enforced a policy is, the more likely the enforcement is to be applied unfairly IMHO. I personally don't follow other sports anymore, though.

Don Kelly is the answer.

The sad thing is that he'll likely be the answer... not the correct one, but I can see Leyland using him there as much as possible. Look, he wasn't the answer in the outfield, but Leyland's putting him there way too much to replace Jackson.

I think football has had blood testing in place for quite a while.

Not sure about blood testing but they still don't have an official HGH testing policy in place.

If the Tigers end up using Santiago at short, Can they just let the pitchers bat and then DH for him, please? At least the pitchers have an excuse for being just good little league hitters.

Maybe I am a homer. I never really thought it before. Perhaps I'm getting soft as I get older? I definitely used to be harder on tigers players, but maybe they don't suck anymore? Jackson doesn't suck anymore. Garcia isn't all that good, though. I'm tired of victor, too.

Regardless, what does that have to do with these new PED allegations? As of now we still don't know much about what, if anything, certain players took. The league has a very specific burden of proof to meet to support a suspension, which is what they negotiated with the players. They can't make up their own rules an expect them to hold up.

I also didn't think penn state should have had any penalties from the NCAA.

Garcia has a 110 OPS+ and good speed. Not sure why you keep insisting he's horrible, you homer.

Garcia has a 110 OPS+ and good speed. Not sure why you keep insisting he's horrible, you homer.

46 plate appearances this year. No history in the minors of any plate discipline. Jury is still out regarding his speed.

46 plate appearances this year. No history in the minors of any plate discipline. Jury is still out regarding his speed.

That doesn't make him not good he's been valuable. also he's a 4.1 to first base.

That doesn't make him not good he's been valuable. also he's a 4.1 to first base.

Whether he is good is a different question of whether e has been valuable. Berry was valuable for a stretch last year, as well.

I'm not saying he is slow. I question 4.1. I don't think a guy with that speed would have been caught stealing 10 times in 33 attempts last year.

Whether he is good is a different question of whether e has been valuable. Berry was valuable for a stretch last year, as well.

I'm not saying he is slow. I question 4.1. I don't think a guy with that speed would have been caught stealing 10 times in 33 attempts last year.

Fast guys aren't always good at stealing bases.

Fast guys aren't always good at stealing bases.

So if he's fast, but can't use his speed effectively, what use does being fast serve?

That's true. I still don't think he is a 4.1 to first. This is based solely on the pissing match between Keith law, Werner, and wheat on twitter last week.

2B Brandon Douglas is hitting .282 at Toledo (Worth is hitting .224).

Bring him up and slide Infante over.

Much better option than Santiago or screwing around with Don Kelly. Kelly should never play any INF position except as an emergency extra-innings throw-in.

Edited by TJ

So if he's fast, but can't use his speed effectively, what use does being fast serve?

1st to 3rd, 1st to home on doubles. Beating out infield hits, all of the things he has shown to do thus far.