ROMAD1

POTUS Impeachment Watch

10 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Sondland testimony change and Kentucky.  Wonder how much that changes the odds of the Senate voting remove.  

I think Virginia (and some of the local elections around Philadelphia) probably are a bigger deal than Kentucky.... Kentucky was a shot to the ego, he expended a lot of capital to save Bevin and it didn't happen, but McConnell is going to win reelection regardless. The Virginia races and some of the other suburban races are a continuation of a really bad trend for the Republican Party since Trump took over.

I doubt it changes the Senate math much, though. These guys still have to win their primaries.

16 hours ago, Hongbit said:

These men are no longer representatives of the United States of America.  They are representatives of the Republican Party as a whole and that is the only constituent they deem fit to serve.  

This is a fair statement, and I think it is also fair to ask who are the constituents of the Republican Party? Whose interest does the party serve?

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

Whenever Graham speaks now it is like he’s got a gun pointed at him off camera

Is Lindsey really that petrified of being outed as gay? I'd guess there something else, some other kompromat, being leveraged against him.

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

NICE

The best hope we have springing from these elections is that the Republican Party dismisses the results as electoral anomalies and they barrel on full steam ahead with their scorched-earth political strategies, which will be a sure loser for them next year, assuming an honest electoral process.

The worst thing that could spring from these elections would be loud and persistent claims of widespread Democratic party voter fraud in both Kentucky and Virginia as the only logical explanation for the results, as a precursor to delegitimizing any 2020 results that fall in the Democrats' favor. 

damn...we drove by this scene a hour after it was removed apparently

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The best hope we have springing from these elections is that the Republican Party dismisses the results as electoral anomalies and they barrel on full steam ahead with their scorched-earth political strategies, which will be a sure loser for them next year, assuming an honest electoral process.

The worst thing that could spring from these elections would be loud and persistentt claims of widespread Democratic party voter fraud in both Kentucky and Virginia as the only logical explanation for the results, as a precursor to delegitimizing any 2020 results that fall in the Democrats' favor. 

I predict both.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I predict both.

I stopped short of saying as much, but I agree with you. Or, at least, I'm hoping more for best hope over worst thing.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is Lindsey really that petrified of being outed as gay? I'd guess there something else, some other kompromat, being leveraged against him.

It doesn't make that much sense from a normal perspective anymore, but in his particular case, it doesn't get him one democratic vote and it probably costs him a lot of white evangelicals and seniors so maybe.....

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't think it's that.  He addressed it once before with a comment like "To the extent that it matters, I'm not" which I saw as a reasonable "Not that there's anything wrong with that...."

Maybe the old Lindsey was just for show and this is the real guy and he can be that now that McCain is gone.

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is a fair statement, and I think it is also fair to ask who are the constituents of the Republican Party? Whose interest does the party serve?

Although the true power of both parties comes from oligarchs, the GOP is more greatly influenced by oligarchs and thus tends to promote more policy intended to benefit them.  Millions of plebeians voters who don't share or care for oligarch-friendly policy are needed however, and the Trump era GOP has used a combination of tribalism, social issues, religion, guns, trolling, and other emotional tactics to build the coalition needed to pass oligarch-friendly legislature.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Although the true power of both parties comes from oligarchs, the GOP is more greatly influenced by oligarchs and thus tends to promote more policy intended to benefit them.  Millions of plebeians voters who don't share or care for oligarch-friendly policy are needed however, and the Trump era GOP has used a combination of tribalism, social issues, religion, guns, trolling, and other emotional tactics to build the coalition needed to pass oligarch-friendly legislature.

basically it is just gods, guns and gays from lee atwater, updated for 2019/2020.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

and the thing is, the basic paradigm isn't bad per se. The founders envisioned a system where special interests vying against each other would have to build coalitions by also advocating for things that benefited enough of the public to build winning voting majorities in a democratic system. The problem is that the American voter literally doesn't know what's good for him (or at least his country) anymore....

17 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Apparently Junior outed the whistleblower....

What? 

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Apparently Junior outed the whistleblower....

If so, I have to believe a federal crime was committed and Junior should be prosceuted.

1 minute ago, smr-nj said:

What? 

At least if you believe the front page of Drudge. 

The article indicates that JR. tweeted a name.   That should result in JR going to jail.

What a piece of ****. Like father, like son. 

• Like 1