ROMAD1

POTUS Impeachment Watch

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Main focus for the country should be the impeachment inquiry.  I think the Biden story does play a role with it as it explains why Trump became interested and then chose to break the law.  

I went off on a tangent as I am consistently seeing, both here and the media, comments on how Joe Biden did nothing wrong and that's not true though.  He did do something wrong (by not recusing himself) and for all we know, Burisma may not have been investigated as thoroughly as they should have.  We don't know, there is nothing to suggest that happened (well, a conspiracy theorists would point to the fact that Zlochevsky/Burisma was no longer under investigation) , but as I stated, the tie between his role in removing the past prosecutor and his son being on the board simply can't be ignored.  

I agree with you on what should be the main focus. Most people who sympathize to a great degree with Trump and the Republicans do not agree with this. Despite the merits of any case that might involve Joe or Hunter Biden, specious as many of them are, such people are not as interested in the actions of the Bidens as they are in taking the focus away from the impeachment inquiry. That's their whole goal behind their incessant pushing of the Biden conspiracy: kill the impeachment and get Trump off the hook.

So, when you keep bringing it up here, in the impeachment thread, you can see why people's patience is wearing thin on that, right? Especially since you recognize there's no illegality going on. What's the point of hammering on it here, then?

Since the Biden thing has no direct bearing on the impeachment inquiry into the president, maybe there should be a whole separate thread to discuss it? Just a thought.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I still think Portman or Moran could be open to it with a change of circumstances, based on their histories.

Portman as a hard no on impeachment is interesting. This is the guy who relented on his anti-gay stance a few years back, admittedly only because he found out his son is gay, but I would have thought if he's open even to changing his mind on that, he'd be open to bailing on Trump.

2 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

He’s a thug, he’s a crook, he’s our President

Crime after Crime

Banana ... meet Republic.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Banana ... meet Republic.

The President's legal team really have come up with incredible defenses lately:

"Congress was wrongly given the Watergate roadmap...."

"Trump can't be prosecuted for shooting someone...."

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I think there is actually is a fair discussion to have about whether children of political leaders should serve on foreign boards. But absent any evidence of wrongdoing (and there is an absense of any evidence of wrongdoing in this case), I don't know what the point of this conversation is.

and really, children are not the half of it, it's spouses that are the real abuse. Because of the asymmetry with men and women in power the current paradigm is that we cannot question a right of a woman to work at a job that puts her husband in obvious conflicts in their government position (ie. McConnell, Clarence Thomas and I'm sure there on some on the blue side as well) but to me that is just misguided. No high gov official should be allowed to serve if their spouse, whether female or male, works in a field that intersects with their mates potential jurisdiction or influence -  period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pfife said:

This impeachment sure seems to be helping Trump.

It makes flipping the script so much more stunning and impactful.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and really, children are not the half of it, it's spouses that are the real abuse. Because of the asymmetry with men and women in power the current paradigm is that we cannot question a right of a woman to work at a job that puts her husband in obvious conflicts in their government position (ie. McConnell, Clarence Thomas and I'm sure there on some on the blue side as well) but to me that is just misguided. No high gov official should be allowed to serve if their spouse, whether female or male, works in a field that intersects with their mates potential jurisdiction or influence -  period.

I’m old enough to remember when spouses couldn’t work for the same company.

Then there was the time I was banned from doing traffic on a station that was a competitor of the one my wife worked for. They thought I would pass along secrets that I would glean from listening to the station 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I agree with you on what should be the main focus. Most people who sympathize to a great degree with Trump and the Republicans do not agree with this. Despite the merits of any case that might involve Joe or Hunter Biden, specious as many of them are, such people are not as interested in the actions of the Bidens as they are in taking the focus away from the impeachment inquiry. That's their whole goal behind their incessant pushing of the Biden conspiracy: kill the impeachment and get Trump off the hook.

So, when you keep bringing it up here, in the impeachment thread, you can see why people's patience is wearing thin on that, right? Especially since you recognize there's no illegality going on. What's the point of hammering on it here, then?

Since the Biden thing has no direct bearing on the impeachment inquiry into the president, maybe there should be a whole separate thread to discuss it? Just a thought.

Stan is the only one here that sympathizes in any degree with Trump.  As such, I thought I could point out what I thought was a legitimate Joe Biden complaint, instead of simply labeling it as complete baloney which has become the rallying call.  I do understand why you might get annoyed at those supporting Trump and how you think they are using it.  For Trump supporters, they look at a long time politician that touts Ukraine has proof of his experience, his son that made 50k a month for a company that sniffs of the same corruption his dad is touting he helped reform and the left saying nothing to see here.  You have to understand why that wears thin on them, right?  And trust me, we can talk hypocritical all day, I'm with you, Trump sold his soul to be able to sell that story.  Still, even if there was nothing illegal, it sucks and that's the type of stuff that pissed off the folks in the middle enough to elect Trump in the first place.

I think it's ran it's course and doesn't need a new thread.  

15 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Stan is the only one here that sympathizes in any degree with Trump.  As such, I thought I could point out what I thought was a legitimate Joe Biden complaint, instead of simply labeling it as complete baloney which has become the rallying call.  I do understand why you might get annoyed at those supporting Trump and how you think they are using it.  For Trump supporters, they look at a long time politician that touts Ukraine has proof of his experience, his son that made 50k a month for a company that sniffs of the same corruption his dad is touting he helped reform and the left saying nothing to see here.  You have to understand why that wears thin on them, right?  And trust me, we can talk hypocritical all day, I'm with you, Trump sold his soul to be able to sell that story.  Still, even if there was nothing illegal, it sucks and that's the type of stuff that pissed off the folks in the middle enough to elect Trump in the first place.

I think it's ran it's course and doesn't need a new thread.  

I think most of it is made up

4 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Oh reary?!

This still seems like the most stunning thread of the day. 

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

West Virginia has one of the highest Trump approval ratings in the country. It would be a huge risk for Manchin to vote for impeachment. Same goes for Doug Jones in Alabama.

Manchin is in the first year of his term after being re-elected.  He isn’t as tied to the folks of West Virginia as people are making it seem.  People won’t even remember trump the next time manchin is up for election.  

49 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Manchin is in the first year of his term after being re-elected.  He isn’t as tied to the folks of West Virginia as people are making it seem.  People won’t even remember trump the next time manchin is up for election.  

This is a good gag, but in reality, the shadow of Trump is going to affect elections certainly for the rest of my life, and maybe even the rest of yours.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

There is going to be a CIVAL WAR everybody!

Despite this dangerous idiocy, I still like umpires more than NFL refs.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is a good gag, but in reality, the shadow of Trump is going to affect elections certainly for the rest of my life, and maybe even the rest of yours.

I mean, Hillary and Benghazi are still relevant to Trumpers some 10 years later. Manchin is older than what I thought so maybe he retires at the end of his term. 

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not really.  Most of supporters will be dead in 8 years.  

My opinion on Manchin is that he might be the most liberated senator in the body.  He was barely convinced to run for re-election this time, almost running for governor instead.  My totally unsubstantiated opinion is that homeslice already knows he's not running again.  Dude is on record saying he hates the Senate.

3 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Not really.  Most of supporters will be dead in 8 years.  

This is a good gag, too.