ROMAD1

POTUS Impeachment Watch

3 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Presumptuous.

And patently incorrect.

Just so I can clarify.....Are you talking about the imperial senate from star wars (like our darth vader mask wearing poster here), or are you describing the actual US Senate? Because there isn't a chance in bloody **** that the US Senate does anything but tell the house to cram it. They will hold their little "trial" as is required....but it will end quite predictably. 

6 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

... are you describing the actual US Senate? Because there isn't a chance in bloody **** that the US Senate does anything but tell the house to cram it. ...

Yes Stan, the U.S. Senate.

And again, you are wrong.

But go ahead and tell yourself that to make yourself feel better.

2 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yes Stan, the U.S. Senate.

And again, you are wrong.

But go ahead and tell yourself that to make yourself feel better.

You think a Republican led senate (you know, the important chamber) is going to let the dems run with this in an election year? After what has gone on the last 3 years?

I say this in the most respectful way possible....You are high as a kite, man.

The evidence will present itself. If it adds up to not enough Trump can stay until Jan 2021 after he loses the 2020 election.

But if the evidence points an indisputable guilty picture, McConnell will tell Donny the exact same thing that Nixon was told: "We don't have the votes".

There is nothing high about that whatsoever. In fact, you're the one who is placing out-sized hopes on partisanship. As hard as it may seem to understand this, Republican Senators will vote their convictions, and I don't mean Republican convictions, I mean American convictions, their convictions on their role in History, their convictions in support of the Constitution of the United States. They will vote based on the facts Stan. Not all of them. But lots who are close to retirement, lots who do not have to face an election year, and lots of remaining "establishment" Republican Senators. Those "lots" may only add up to 10 to 15 prior to a trial. But... read on:

I was a bit young for Nixon at 10 years old, but close enough that it was fresh enough and easy to learn all of the circumstances leading to his impeachment. He resigned with Republican losses in droves against him, both in the House and in the Senate. There were only 60 votes against him in the Senate per the latest estimated count... But Nixon resigned rather than face trial in the Senate.

Here's a question for you Stan, if Trump is charged in the House with articles (one or several) of Impeachment, there will be a Senate trial: Do you think Trump will sit through a Senate trial and take his chances? Or resign?

Predicated on the House making a tight (I won't call it air-tight... but let's just go with "tight" as an adjective for the moment...) case for each of the charges.

Its amazing that Trump would think anyone with a future or who worries about the future would remain loyal to the man who turned his back on the Kurds because they didn't help us in Normandy.  

They can't stonewall forever.  Obstruction is a crime.  He's guilty of much worse but that will get him started.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

The evidence will present itself. If it adds up to not enough Trump can stay until Jan 2021 after he loses the 2020 election.

But if the evidence points an indisputable guilty picture, McConnell will tell Donny the exact same thing that Nixon was told: "We don't have the votes".

There is nothing high about that whatsoever. In fact, you're the one who is placing out-sized hopes on partisanship. As hard as it may seem to understand this, Republican Senators will vote their convictions, and I don't mean Republican convictions, I mean American convictions, their convictions on their role in History, their convictions in support of the Constitution of the United States. They will vote based on the facts Stan. Not all of them. But lots who are close to retirement, lots who do not have to face an election year, and lots of remaining "establishment" Republican Senators. Those "lots" may only add up to 10 to 15 prior to a trial. But... read on:

I was a bit young for Nixon at 10 years old, but close enough that it was fresh enough and easy to learn all of the circumstances leading to his impeachment. He resigned with Republican losses in droves against him, both in the House and in the Senate. There were only 60 votes against him in the Senate per the latest estimated count... But Nixon resigned rather than face trial in the Senate.

Here's a question for you Stan, if Trump is charged in the House with articles (one or several) of Impeachment, there will be a Senate trial: Do you think Trump will sit through a Senate trial and take his chances? Or resign?

Predicated on the House making a tight (I won't call it air-tight... but let's just go with "tight" as an adjective for the moment...) case for each of the charges.

Champagne wishes and watergate dreams....except there was an actual crime in watergate, not a political hit. 

Trump isn't going to leave just because the house impeaches him. He's a different animal. He'll use it for ratings (votes in his world). That said, I don't think he ultimately gives one rip about impeachment. He will certainly fight it, but I think before the house ever impeaches him, he will (figuratively-sort of) take gasoline to that entire town, and the dems know it. Which is ultimately why I think this is going nowhere. (note that this is mostly a democrat directed remark, but I am not discounting some Republicans being caught up in  the process). 

Said a different way...Trump knows where all the bodies are buried. This goes to the "screw me, I screw you in spades" remark he made 30+ years ago. 

7 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Quite a story you've concocted. 

This is definitely cult of personality territory. 

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

Its amazing that Trump would think anyone with a future or who worries about the future would remain loyal to the man who turned his back on the Kurds because they didn't help us in Normandy.  

They can't stonewall forever.  Obstruction is a crime.  He's guilty of much worse but that will get him started.

With the usual caveats that they'll all be back on the train when the news cycle changes, I am still shocked that this, throwing the Kurds to the wolves, appears to have rattled the GOP more than anything else in almost three years of this Presidency. Wouldn't have predicted it given everything else they have ignored to date.

50 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Quite a story you've concocted. 

I'm sorry I couldn't weave in a wookie to make you feel comfortable. 

15 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

I'm sorry I couldn't weave in a wookie to make you feel comfortable. 

You're as creative as your leader. 

It's the stuff like this that makes you wonder if there are ulterior motives.

Like, does he want an ISIS resurgence?

missed this gem from the very stable genius who has LITERALLY never read the Constitution

The assumption underlying all of those arguments is that impeachment is the remedy for presidential wrongdoing. Trump’s move on Tuesday aims to take that singular remedy off the table. If he succeeds—if impeachment is delegitimized and ignored—then Trump, and future presidents, will be truly above the law.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/10/09/trumps-impeachment-unconstitutional-229838

8 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Said a different way...Trump knows where all the bodies are buried. This goes to the "screw me, I screw you in spades" remark he made 30+ years ago. 

He is new in Washington.

Why or how does he know where the bodies are buried?  Or is he Deep State?

Wondering if this was the end point for Trump... he knew he had a task to perform, this was it, and now he doesn't give a **** what happens.  Drudge has turned on him.  For the first time since early 2017 (back when I thought we still had decent people in Washington), I can legitimately envision a scenario where he doesn't finish his term or isn't the nominee in '20.  I might put those chances at over 50% now.

He seriously damaged himself with this move in Syria which makes me believe he knows he's on the way out and wanted to do the favor for his friends.   He lost himself votes there and now there is evidence that Trump pressured our Justice Department to back off a Turkish money launderer who was a friend of the Turkish President and funneling money to Iran to lessen the pain of the sanctions. 

He's basically acting as a foreign asset now.  

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Trump's worst fixation: "alliances are easy"

well, look at how he treats other alliances such as marriage

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He seriously damaged himself with this move in Syria which makes me believe he knows he's on the way out and wanted to do the favor for his friends.   He lost himself votes there and now there is evidence that Trump pressured our Justice Department to back off a Turkish money launderer who was a friend of the Turkish President and funneling money to Iran to lessen the pain of the sanctions. 

He's basically acting as a foreign asset now.  

now?