ROMAD1

POTUS Impeachment Watch

Just another scandal that would rock any other presidency, but in this one, it’s just another day ending in ‘y’. 

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

impeach

actually, I like that idea - let the House vote to impeach him - the grounds are simple, clear, and pretty much will be indisputable. Let the Senate go on record supporting a charlatan cabinet officer.

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

I read it.  It is nothing we don't already know, but it summarizes the situation really well.  We have a president with obvious severe mental health issues and people keep trying analyze him like he's sane.  

• Thanks 1

I figured Trump would do something to address his lies about releasing his tax returns in an attempt to win a few extra votes.  Look for it to be something like a PR statement that lacks specifics, touts he's super rich, and states he has lost money during his presidency.

It is highly unlikely this will move the needle in any direction.

5 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I figured Trump would do something to address his lies about releasing his tax returns in an attempt to win a few extra votes.  Look for it to be something like a PR statement that lacks specifics, touts he's super rich, and states he has lost money during his presidency.

It is highly unlikely this will move the needle in any direction.

The actual tax returns must be pretty embarrassing if he won't release them. 

6 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

More than embarrassment, it shows Trump is trying to hide information that his predecessors have shared, and his upcoming opponent will share.

We are mostly beyond Trump's tax returns at this point.  It was played out in 2016, and people will be voting in 2020 with four years of Trumpian politics on their minds.

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

I don't know.  The Alabama thing wasn't that embarrassing initially and he won't let that go.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't know.  The Alabama thing wasn't that embarrassing initially and he won't let that go.

The Alabama situation is both mind boggling and completely stupid.  Alabama is the home base for MAWA, and there's very little political advantage in that state behind Trump's lying about hurricane forecasts.  Like it or not, Trump needs to woo some suburban voters to win the Electoral College, and lying about and politicizing weather forecasts is going to hurt him with that demographic.

14 hours ago, Euphdude said:

More than embarrassment, it shows Trump is trying to hide information that his predecessors have shared, and his upcoming opponent will share.

We are mostly beyond Trump's tax returns at this point.  It was played out in 2016, and people will be voting in 2020 with four years of Trumpian politics on their minds.

Name one of his predecssors that had anything close to the massive business interests he had coming into office. Trump is a completely unique situation. Frankly, if I was him, I would consider my tax returns to be proprietary business information, and it appears that is exactly how he views it. Remember, his predecssors largely got rich after leaving office, so there was nothing on their returns worth a damn coming into (or during) office.  Conversely, Trump will still be one of the largest real estate investors in the country after he leaves office in 2024.

I've said this before....I wouldn't share the tax returns either- purely for business reasons. There is no reason his competition needs to see them. Competitive information- however small- could be gleaned by those in his industry who actually understand what they would be reading....as opposed to the media and the general public....who would all ooh and ahh at massive tax losses and assume he's bankrupt. Candidly, that would be half the fun of him releasing them- making fun of the people who would make fools of themselves trying to discern what they mean. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, stanpapi said:

Name one of his predecssors that had anything close to the massive business interests he had coming into office. Trump is a completely unique situation. Frankly, if I was him, I would consider my tax returns to be proprietary business information, and it appears that is exactly how he views it. Remember, his predecssors largely got rich after leaving office, so there was nothing on their returns worth a damn coming into (or during) office.  Conversely, Trump will still be one of the largest real estate investors in the country after he leaves office in 2024.

I've said this before....I wouldn't share the tax returns either- purely for business reasons. There is no reason his competition needs to see them. Competitive information- however small- could be gleaned by those in his industry who actually understand what they would be reading....as opposed to the media and the general public....who would all ooh and ahh at massive tax losses and assume he's bankrupt. Candidly, that would be half the fun of him releasing them- making fun of the people who would make fools of themselves trying to discern what they mean. 

Then he shouldn't run for President.  The Presidency is a public trust and a president belongs to the people and the people deserve to know who he owes money and other things to.  If a person is not willing to compromise that then they can stay in the private sector.  When they still pursue it then it's a good indicator and very fair assumption that they are using the Presidency for private financial gain and that's an impeachable offense.  

It's pretty simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Then he shouldn't run for President.  The Presidency is a public trust and a president belongs to the people and the people deserve to know who he owes money and other things to.  If a person is not willing to compromise that then they can stay in the private sector.  When they still pursue it then it's a good indicator and very fair assumption that they are using the Presidency for private financial gain and that's an impeachable offense.  

It's pretty simple.

The Bush family own half of Argentina.  They seem to have divested effectively enough.

9 hours ago, stanpapi said:

You are arguing his business interests override the public's need to know?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You are arguing his business interests override the need to know?

Or suggesting that if a POTUS is rich they should receive special treatment that other candidates don't receive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Or suggesting that if a POTUS is rich they should receive special treatment that other candidates don't receive.

No special treatment has been received. There is no law requiring tax return disclosure. Tax return disclosure has simply been a custom followed by other presidents. Now, there are campaign financial disclosures that are very much required by law. He complied with those. Quite frankly, those will actually tell you a ton and are more meaningful than a tax return. They've been sitting online since 2016 if anyone is interested.

As far as the general public is concerned, a tax return is going to tell you the guy is a real estate developer who took a ton of depreciation deductions that created tax losses. That is very legal, but it will have little bearing to what is actually going on from an economic perspective, which is what some people seem to be infatuated with. That being said, to a skilled real estate developer (competitor), certain information could be gleaned from the returns that Trump wouldn't want out there from a competitive standpoint. So I think he's very much within his rights to hold firm and not release them. He has economic interests to be concerned about post-presidency.....whereas our former presidents actually CREATED their economic interests as a RESULT of their presidencies. A big difference. 

• Confused 1

With respect, I give approximately zero ****s about his economic interests post-presidency.... nor should the American public be expected to give zero ****s about his economic interests.

Oblong is right... if he didn't want scrutiny over his businesses or the looming questions about the relationship between his businesses and the government (ie. the Trump Turnberry grift), then he shouldn't have run for President. It's really that simple.

It's weird Trump doesn't want his success secrets out there when you could have just given him a couple thousand dollars and go to Trump University and he would share all that info with you. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

DECODED:

He's offering justification for hiding Trump's corruption. And he knows it too.

• Thanks 1