ROMAD1

POTUS Impeachment Watch

10 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Intrigued.  Lots of speculation that Bannon refused to talk to the House because Nunes is a dirty rat.  

That would honestly be awesome.  I've been really perplexed about what happened yesterday with the dual subpoena attack on Bannon, as I've largely seen the House Intelligence Committee investigation as a pro-Trump whitewash.    It would be really intriguing if Bannon thinks Nunes is a POS.

8 minutes ago, pfife said:

I've largely seen the House Intelligence Committee investigation as a pro-Trump whitewash.

Yup - there is no accountability with this Congress.  I hope to see the next Congress take Trump's transgressions much more seriously.

16 minutes ago, pfife said:

That would honestly be awesome.  I've been really perplexed about what happened yesterday with the dual subpoena attack on Bannon, as I've largely seen the House Intelligence Committee investigation as a pro-Trump whitewash.    It would be really intriguing if Bannon thinks Nunes is a POS.

Well, both participated in the transition IIRC, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bannon has some insight on Nunes

17 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I am not saying it caused the epidemic.  I am saying that people who have used marijuana may be more likely to abuse opioids.  In other words, the epidemic didn't happen because of marijuana, but those who use marijuana might be more likely to be part of the epidemic.  

There are also studies being done that use medical marijuana to relieve the symptoms of opiate withdrawal. Also as as anti-inflammatory, relief for cancer patients on chemo, AIDS patients appetite and many other medical uses. It's almost like medical marijuana may be a much better alternative to opiates. Except the stockholders of Big Pharm don't get even more wealthy if people quit popping, shooting and snorting their pills. And Jeff Sessions thought it was really funny, a drug helping addicts? It shows how out of touch this entire administration is.

I agree much, much more research needs to be done on medical marijuana. Getting it off of the Schedule 1 list would be a start.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-marijuana-help-treat-painkiller-and-heroin-addiction/

https://www.thefix.com/content/marijuana-helps-alleviate-opiate-withdrawal-symptoms-recovering-addicts

When does Mueller and the grand jury get their turn with Bannon? Has this been announced yet?

4 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

When does Mueller and the grand jury get their turn with Bannon? Has this been announced yet?

Saruman meet the Shire

48 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And many of them started out on alcohol or nicotine first. Dependency is dependency....whether it's booze, pills, weed or tobacco. Blaming marijuana is the lazy way to look at it. 

the question is causation vs correlation. I would posit that there are two reasons people end up on drugs - psychic dissatisfaction or physical pain. The psychic 'discomfort' gets into very complex 'meaning of life' kinds of areas - and also physiological clinical depression. These people will be probably be driven to self-medicate and I would guess they and the rest of society would be better off if they were able to choose modes of self-medication with as little collateral damage associated with Marijuana as compared to Alcohol or opiates. But I claim no expertise as to whether weed is a sufficient mental anesthetic for some or any people with these issues. The incidence of drug use and addiction from these causes is probably pretty stable in society.

On the pain side, it seems there will be cross correlation between people who self medicate - people who go to docs and people who do both. If you are physically debilitated, you keep trying things until something works. These are not people who would  be at all prone to seek out illegal drugs absent the untreated or insufficiently treated underlying medical condition. It has been the move of the segment of the population with pain issues into addiction that seems the clear "what's different" in what has happened in the last 25 yrs. The answer to break this phenomenon is almost trivially easy - do a better job with non-opiate pain treatment so as to avoid  prescribing opiates to people with chronic pain other than in the most extreme cases, or end of life situations. From what I read, medicine has started moving back to that older practice standard - but now we have an overhang of millions of addicted people. There just is no easy solution for them.

1 minute ago, ROMAD1 said:

Saruman meet the Shire

anytime you read " Source familiar with Bannon's thinking" its from Bannon

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

MJ being schedule 1 is a joke.

It being a schedule 1 drug also eliminates any ability to legally study it. To try and figure out why the pro-pot people insist it's an actual cures for some ills.

The way it is now is you hear "stories" from the pro-pot people that make no sense. Something like "My neighbor's brother's sister-in-law's cousin cured her brain cancer with medical marijuana". Fine, I say, prove it.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the question is causation vs correlation. I would posit that there are two reasons people end up on drugs - psychic dissatisfaction or physical pain. The psychic 'discomfort' gets into very complex 'meaning of life' kinds of areas - and also physiological clinical depression. These people will be probably be driven to self-medicate and I would guess they and the rest of society would be better off if they were able to choose modes of self-medication with as little collateral damage associated with Marijuana as compared to Alcohol or opiates. But I claim no expertise as to whether weed is a sufficient mental anesthetic for some or any people with these issues. The incidence of drug use and addiction from these causes is probably pretty stable in society.

On the pain side, it seems there will be cross correlation between people who self medicate - people who go to docs and people who do both. You keep trying things until something works. These are not people who would  be at all prone to seek out illegal drugs absent the untreated or insufficiently treated underlying medical condition. It has been the move of the segment of the population with pain issues into addiction that seems the clear "what's different" in what has happened in the last 25 yrs. The answer to break this phenomenon is almost trivially easy - do a better job with non-opiate pain treatment so as to avoid  prescribing opiates to people with chronic pain other than in the most extreme cases, or end of life situations. From what I read, medicine has started moving back to that older practice standard - but now we have an overhang of millions of addicted people. There just is no easy solution for them.

Well said. My MIL was a hospice nurse for 20 years before retiring. She says the only people who ever got those strong addicting opiates were the "end of life" folks who had little chance of ever recovering.

Then Big Pharm started giving incentives to doctors to prescribe their pills, getting patients addicted. And the drug companies actually ramped up production to supply the increasing demand. That should have been the first warning sign, but Big Pharm just went out and bought a politician or ten.

My answer is to take these Big Pharm profits away by making them pay for rehab facilities. And by that I mean several clinics in every major U.S. city. De-incentivicize (sp?) the profit margin and doctors will quit passing out this poison 

believe it when i see it.  Still...very interesting

I'm not getting my hopes up with Bannon.  He's close to Trump but not that close and I doubt theres a paper trail.  He can answer some to satisfy and make it look like he's "cooperating" and for questions he doesn't like he could say he wasn't there or doesn't know.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

I'm not getting my hopes up with Bannon.  He's close to Trump but not that close and I doubt theres a paper trail.  He can answer some to satisfy and make it look like he's "cooperating" and for questions he doesn't like he could say he wasn't there or doesn't know.

With respect I disagree,  there is always some sort of paper trail.   Bannon wants to screw Kushner over.  

Bannon may be scum and a slippery sidewinder but he might also want to get revenge.

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The thing is, I don't think Bannon really has a lot holding him back at this point; TRUMP was a vessel for his worldview, he was never a true believer, and now TRUMP is an adversary. He's going to fire at will.

Whether he has a lot of insight is a legitimate question, though. That much I don't know.

Lordy I hope so... but seeing Bannon's response after the Wolfe book tells me he's still wanting to be a part of all of that.  I'm not ruling out that this is all an elaborate good cop/bad cop thing, which is what I thought was the case when he was 'fired' last summer.

42 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Well said. My MIL was a hospice nurse for 20 years before retiring. She says the only people who ever got those strong addicting opiates were the "end of life" folks who had little chance of ever recovering.

Then Big Pharm started giving incentives to doctors to prescribe their pills, getting patients addicted. And the drug companies actually ramped up production to supply the increasing demand. That should have been the first warning sign, but Big Pharm just went out and bought a politician or ten.

My answer is to take these Big Pharm profits away by making them pay for rehab facilities. And by that I mean several clinics in every major U.S. city. De-incentivicize (sp?) the profit margin and doctors will quit passing out this poison 

The pharma companies that pushed the prescription opioids are worse criminals than any drug cartel.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The thing is, I don't think Bannon really has a lot holding him back at this point; TRUMP was a vessel for his worldview, he was never a true believer, and now TRUMP is an adversary. He's going to fire at will.

Whether he has a lot of insight is a legitimate question, though. That much I don't know.

this. We can probably agree that Mueller has two lines of investigation that could threaten Trump, collusion and money laundering. It's hard to see what Bannon would know about Trump's internal financial dealings - he's not from inside the family and the association doesn't go back in that depth far enough.

Since he did sit in on NSC meetings, he could have insight on Trump wanting to be nice to the Russian, but the problem there is that it's much harder to prove a quid pro quo against the President as opposed to an underling. If you work for the Pres and take a ruble to subvert his policies in Russia's favor, it's pretty clear what you are doing. But in the case of the president himself - its his prerogative to be nice to the Russian.

The only thing Bannon could have would be something from the campaign proving the campaign accepted Russian help in return for favorable policy. But I think it's also very possible that no such direct offer and acceptance was ever made. It didn't have to be. Trump loves Putin, Putin knew it, knew he preferred him to Clinton - he didn't have to ask Trump for anything directly. Putin hated Clinton, didn't need to be asked to work against her candidacy. Sure, someone like Jared may have screwed up - but that's the most Bannon is likely to have I think. And also why I think the financial end is more threatening to Trump than the Russia stuff. The Russia stuff should be and probably is bad politics and bad atmospherics for the admin but someone had to be pretty stupid during the campaign for it rise to a legal threat. But we can hope! xD

9 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The pharma companies that pushed the prescription opioids are worse criminals than any drug cartel.  

I'm not too big on most of the magic pills out there.  So many side effects.    I see my mentally handicapped brother swing from docile and dozing to hyper manic based on some entry level quack diagnosing new meds "to see if this helps."    Grim.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this. We can probably agree that Mueller has two lines of investigation that could threaten Trump, collusion and money laundering. It's hard to see what Bannon would know about Trump's internal financial dealings - he's not from inside the family and the association doesn't go back in that depth far enough.

Since he did sit in on NSC meeting, he could have insight on Trump wanting to be nice to the Russian, but the problem there is that it's much harder to prove a quid pro quo against the President as opposed to an underling. If you work the Pres and take a ruble to subvert his policies in Russia's favor, it's pretty clear what you are doing. But in the case of the president himself - its his prerogative to be nice to the Russian.

The only thing Bannon could have would be something from the campaign proving the campaign accepted Russian help in return for favorable policy. But I think it's very possible that no such direct offer and acceptance was ever made. It didn't have to be. Trump loves Putin, Putin knew it - he didn't have to ask Trump for anything directly. Putin hated Clinton, didn't need to be asked to work against her candidacy. Sure, someone like Jared may have screwed up - but that's the most Bannon is likely to have I think.

Cambridge Analytica

2 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I'm not too big on most of the magic pills out there.  So many side effects.

My son is on the autistic spectrum, and we've been told that drugs would help him.  I'm with you though -- these drugs have so many side effects I don't want to take the risk.  Plus, I want my son to learn how to deal with his challenges without relying on medications.

BTW this is not meant to slight anyone who has chosen to use meds in similar situations.

Just now, Euphdude said:

My son is on the autistic spectrum, and we've been told that drugs would help him.  I'm with you though -- these drugs have so many side effects I don't want to take the risk.  Plus, I want my son to learn how to deal with his challenges without relying on medications.

BTW this is not meant to slight anyone who has chosen to use meds in similar situations.

measure twice and three times before you get on that path...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I agree. Isn't it a conspiracy if Big Pharm gives incentives to doctors for prescribing their drugs? Knowing good and damn well any opiate is addictive? A doctor's first order is do no harm. Many of these folks are in worse shape after going to a doctor. Still in pain but now addicted to pills. And when the doctor cuts the patient off, the patient turns to heroin. It's 1/10 the cost. So....the U.S. government is creating addictions? What ever happened to "just say no"?

Or...we could just blame it on the dope smoking hippies.