ROMAD1

POTUS Impeachment Watch

5 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I can only go by personal anecdotal experience, but in the early 70s I had a couple of employees who went from very reliable to guys I couldn’t rely on to show up for a shift on time.

One was my apartment mate, who later skipped town leaving me with a boat load of bills and a filthy bedroom.

The only difference I knew about was they were both getting wasted every night.

A lot of them, just like alcohol.  Some people can try cocaine a few times and not get addicted...  

[i say this only in the spirit of comedy]
                      Must say a lot about your management skills

Back then they weren’t great.

If you remember the Howard Stern movie when they made him program director. That’s me. (And a lot of other mediocre jocks during that time)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, pfife said:

How many people use mj and then never proceed to use harder drugs?

If you want to talk anecdotes, I can't think of anyone I knew in college who used marijuana who went on to use anything harder than alcohol, which if you asked me - should be classed as the 'harder' drug since it is much more physiologically addictive to a large segment of the population.

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It can become addictive for some especially for those who start using at a young age.  You don't like academics.  Whatever.  I have heard anecdotal evidence from people who have worked in substance abuse programs who disagree with you.  

Who to believe; a bunch of academics who write anti-pot stuff or human science projects who have partook in the bud for 45-50 years of their life (started as teenagers I might add)?  They can disagree all they want, but I still consider them FOS.  The science projects were completely fine with the weed, and had no desire to use anything else.

Alcohol has done more harm than weed.  Get it declassified.

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you want to talk anecdotes, I can't think of anyone I knew in college who used marijuana who went on to use anything harder than alcohol, which if you asked me - should be classed as the 'harder' drug since it is much more physiologically addictive to a large segment of the population.

Alcohol is probably more dangerous although the illegality of marijuana makes it more difficult to study.  On the other hand, alcohol has some potential long term health benefits if used in moderation.  I am not sure if marijuana has any long-term health benefits. 

The alcohol versus marijuana debate is not conflicting for me since I can get along fine without either one of them.  

The sad truth is that we have really limited knowledge of the effects of outside substances on the human body and brain.   For all our science we are pretty weak on this.  The prescription regimes for medicine still seem to be barbaric.  Then you have people doing their own pseudo scientific self-treatments.   Then you have the beverages, water and food we eat added into the mix.   

Possibly this is an area that will benefit greatly from "big data" approaches to isolating variables. 

Its probably best that your F-16 pilot isn't on drugs but the Air Force actually gives these guys go and no-go pills during high intensity operations.   They also screen them for high character and physical fitness so the bounce back and resistance to addiction might be better. 

Its probably best that your jazz musician is on drugs.

• Like 1

Its probably best that your jazz musician is on drugs.

It’s the only way I’ve been able to improvise
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Alcohol is probably more dangerous although the illegality of marijuana makes it more difficult to study.  On the other hand, alcohol has some potential long term health benefits if used in moderation.  I am not sure if marijuana has any long-term health benefits. 

The alcohol versus marijuana debate is not conflicting for me since I can get along fine without either one of them.  

Maybe not long term health benefits, but certainly medicinal value. I am hearing more and more over the transom stories about marijuana being used to manage end stage dementias. Actually makes a lot of sense to me. And as my cohort moves into their 60's I also have more friends who want nothing to do with the opiates their doctors have pushed on them using it for relief of  chronic joint pain.

2 minutes ago, screwball said:

Who to believe; a bunch of academics who write anti-pot stuff or human science projects who have partook in the bud for 45-50 years of their life (started as teenagers I might add)?  They can disagree all they want, but I still consider them FOS.  The science projects were completely fine with the weed, and had no desire to use anything else.

I would not dismiss the opinions of academics or lifetime users.  Anecdotal evidence is useful in informing research.  

I know you are concerned about the opioid epidemic as you should be.  Many of those people used marijuana first and then graduated to opioids.  Would they have used opioids anyway had they not used marijuana?  That is possible.  I don't think there is a definitive answer.    

8 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

The sad truth is that we have really limited knowledge of the effects of outside substances on the human body and brain.   For all our science we are pretty weak on this.  The prescription regimes for medicine still seem to be barbaric.  Then you have people doing their own pseudo scientific self-treatments.   Then you have the beverages, water and food we eat added into the mix.   

Possibly this is an area that will benefit greatly from "big data" approaches to isolating variables. 

I agree with this.  Knowledge is limited and there is a lot of work to be done.  What makes it hard is that it difficult to study the effects of something that is illegal. Maybe the states with legal marijuana will yield better data.  

I am personally against legalizing it but I can't say definitely whether legalizing would be bad.  I also don't think people can say anything definitive based on the experience of themselves and their buddies.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I would not dismiss the opinions of academics or lifetime users.  Anecdotal evidence is useful in informing research.  

I know you are concerned about the opioid epidemic as you should be.  Many of those people used marijuana first and then graduated to opioids.  Would they have used opioids anyway had they not used marijuana?  That is possible.  I don't think there is a definitive answer.    

Lee, I think the reporting evidence is pretty clear - and you have posted some of it yourself, that the current opioid crisis has not been driven by some big uptick in marijuana use or change in marijuana's use profile across the country. Most of the folks that represent today's epidemic started with pain killers one way or another.

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I am concerned about the opioid epidemic; it is rampant in Cornhole, and I can say I've NEVER saw it like it is today.  I know some (very close) who have been bitten, and it started with pain killers (prescription drugs) and not pot.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lee, I think the reporting evidence is pretty clear - and you have posted some of it yourself, that the current opioid crisis has not been driven by some big uptick in marijuana use or change in marijuana's use profile across the country. Most of the folks that represent today's epidemic started with pain killers one way or another.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/news-events/news-releases/2017/09/marijuana-use-associated-increased-risk-prescription-opioid-misuse-use-disorders

3 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

tell me that marijuana is victim-less

What does this mean?

what to make of this face on Bannon?

3 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

what to make of this face on Bannon?

Sloppy Steve is looking sharp.  

4 minutes ago, screwball said:

What does this mean?

Gary Johnson's PAC's people are hampered intellectually.

52 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Its probably best that your F-16 pilot isn't on drugs but the Air Force actually gives these guys go and no-go pills during high intensity operations.  

Wow, that's nuts!

I played a (relatively) big hand vs a fighter jock in Vegas years back where I thought I had a solid read on him because his hands were shaking.  After the hand, the lady next to him (also in the AF, I think, as that side of the table were friends) asked my why I played the hand the way I did and I told her that it was because his hands were shaking so bad when he pushed in his stack of chips.

She said, "His hands were shaking like that because he's on his fifth Red Bull of the day.  He was up all night flying before we came here."

I was like, alrighty then . . .

Just now, mickeyb105 said:

Wow, that's nuts!

I played a (relatively) big hand vs a fighter jock in Vegas years back where I thought I had a solid read on him because his hands were shaking.  After the hand, the lady next to him (also in the AF, I think, as that side of the table were friends) asked my why I played the hand the way I did and I told her that it was because his hands were shaking so bad when he pushed in his stack of chips.

She said, "His hands were shaking like that because he's on his fifth Red Bull of the day.  He was up all night flying before we came here."

I was like, alrighty then . . .

http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS014067360315060X.pdf

yeah,  the use of over the shelf stuff is rampant but then it was sanctioned when the machine operators were exhorted to maximum effort.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I'd take this with a grain of salt unless the cross correlate of pain experience was controlled out. People in pain whose prescriptions were getting harder to fill would tend to try pot in higher numbers than the general public so there is an obvious cross correlant. Or another way to put it would that people in chronic discomfort would be more prone to both self-medication and prescription medication and opioid abuse.

But in any case, my point is more to this particular trend vs the long term. There may some background level of gateway effect, but it was there long before the this 'epidemic and there is no reason to suspect that that is what changed to produce the current explosion.