guy incognito

1984 WS Game 5 full game on YouTube

This is as good as it gets. Cleveland at the Tigers on April 9, 1985 for the home opener. Full WDIV telecast. George & Al at the mic. Tigers get their WS rings.

I was there sitting in the bleachers.

I find that style of broadcasting to be pretty boring and overrated. And I realize I may be alone in this.

Yes, you're alone here, Yods.

I get pretty tired of the color man over-analyzing every single step or pitch. IE, Buck Martinez.

Yes, you're alone here, Yods.

I get pretty tired of the color man over-analyzing every single step or pitch. IE, Buck Martinez.

Yoda is not alone. I'm with him on that.

You like guys in the booth who don't say much? Watch a Cubs telecast featuring Len Kaspar and Jim Deshaies sometime. They spend more time talking about goofy fans in the stands, chatting with non-baseball guests in the booth who drop by to shill their latest project, and doing commercial drop-ins than "over-analyzing", or even analyzing. And during key moments of the game, they completely shut up before the pitch, and say nothing except the result you just saw after it. It's like hanging out with two guys in a bar while the game is on TV, and not in a good way.

Is that the style you like? You can have it. I prefer a TV team who gives me good solid insider insights on an ongoing, every pitch basis.

And another channel 4 telecast, this one from 1978. George and Al are joined by Joe Pellegrino. (Bet there's a name nobody's thought of in literally decades.)

Here's some too-brief footage of 1972 ALCS Game 2 as called by George Kell and Larry Osterman on Channel 4. The same game was posted in its entirety earlier in the thread, but in the national NBC telecast with Gowdy and Kubek. (In those days the teams were allowed to do local telecasts for the LCS round.)

I wonder where Larry Osterman is these days? Or is he even still with us?

Here's some too-brief footage of 1972 ALCS Game 2 as called by George Kell and Larry Osterman on Channel 4. The same game was posted in its entirety earlier in the thread, but in the national NBC telecast with Gowdy and Kubek. (In those days the teams were allowed to do local telecasts for the LCS round.)

I wonder where Larry Osterman is these days? Or is he even still with us?

Last I knew, Larry was back in Kalamazoo. I helped him with some audio project in the late nineties when I worked at a music store. When he was doing the Tiger broadcasts, he was also the sports director at channel 3 (Fetzer broadcasting...go figure).

Highlight package of clips from Game 3 of the 1972 ALCS with George Kell & Larry Osterman calling it. Plenty of elbow room in the bleachers.

One game for the American League pennant. Shows the runs from Game 5 of the 1972 ALCS (but not the final out). Close play at 1st and close play at the plate for the A's pennant-winning run.