Deleterious

2013 Pistons Offseason

Except in a close game and Rafer Alston is jacking up more shots than your "best" player.

A bit off topic but i went to High School with Rafer (Cardozo HS), he was 2 years ahead of me. He was a legend on and off the court, was a Class A jerk at some parties that I saw him at, acted like he was all that and was a well known coke sniffer.

Duane Woodward who was the off guard alongside Scoonie Penn at Boston College also went to my HS. He was a good guy unlike Rafer.

Those two would terrorize opponents on the court, made them look like fools. I thought that Rafer was destined to be an NBA superstar, still carved out a nice career for himself but I thought he would be even better.

A bit off topic but i went to High School with Rafer (Cardozo HS), he was 2 years ahead of me. He was a legend on and off the court, was a Class A jerk at some parties that I saw him at, acted like he was all that and was a well known coke sniffer.

Duane Woodward who was the off guard alongside Scoonie Penn at Boston College also went to my HS. He was a good guy unlike Rafer.

Those two would terrorize opponents on the court, made them look like fools. I thought that Rafer was destined to be an NBA superstar, still carved out a nice career for himself but I thought he would be even better.

I love hearing stories like that. Cant say I have anything like that.

Oh, John Runyan was a year ahead of me and went to a school near my cousin. I met him at a party one time. Absolutely a huge human being.

Except in a close game and Rafer Alston is jacking up more shots than your "best" player.

Don't you think Ben Wallace took over many games at the end with his defense?

Pistons need to take these preseason games more seriously, the last 2 seasons have been ruined because of the terrible starts.

Pistons need to take these preseason games more seriously, the last 2 seasons have been ruined because of the terrible starts.

I think they are taking them seriously, but they have been injured, that is the concern. Guys like Jennings needs as much time as possible with his teammates.

Don't you think Ben Wallace took over many games at the end with his defense?

No. He had big impacts but a guy like that can't take over the game in the same way an offensive player can. Its an issue of frequency.

I can hand the ball to James every single time down the court. I can't involve Howard in every defensive series. The play has to be to his man or in his area. I can't dictate that as his coach.

If James and Wade are taking it to the hoop every other possession then Howard is huge. If Allen and Battier are bombing away from behind the 3PT line then Howards impact is very limited.

Hard to say without watching it. But the box score sure is ugly. Siva with 9 assists but I think 3-4 of them were in the last minute or two.

Detroit Pistons vs. Chicago Bulls - Box Score - October 16, 2013 - ESPN

It was as ugly as the box score. Probably uglier.

Josh Smith took a bunch of long twos, Drummond tried a couple post ups that ended awfully. Monroe missed almost every jump shot he took. Nobody could get to the basket. Nobody could shoot from outside.

Rose abused Siva. Tony Snell looked much better than KCP.

The Bulls announcers were wondering what the Pistons are going to do with Josh Smith considering his game is best when he's in the post, but the Pistons have two other guys that are in his way down there. Then they openly wondered at how Smith was being his old self by wandering around the perimeter jacking long twos. Stacey "the black dick vitale" King said he needed his coach to make him get in the post.

From your lips to God's ears Stacey. Unfortunately, I don't think Maurice Cheeks makes anyone do anything.

A really bad night for the Pistons, but it never seemed like they gave a crap about the game. Some nice defensive plays when they tried. But Bynum was awful and Rose murdered him at the other end.

On to the next game.

No. He had big impacts but a guy like that can't take over the game in the same way an offensive player can. Its an issue of frequency.

I can hand the ball to James every single time down the court. I can't involve Howard in every defensive series. The play has to be to his man or in his area. I can't dictate that as his coach.

If James and Wade are taking it to the hoop every other possession then Howard is huge. If Allen and Battier are bombing away from behind the 3PT line then Howards impact is very limited.

This is correct.

I think they are taking them seriously, but they have been injured, that is the concern. Guys like Jennings needs as much time as possible with his teammates.

I believe that the entire frontcourt played last night and they got sliced and diced by the Bulls. That can't be a good sign, preseason or not. Defense (interior defense in particular) should be the biggest strength of this team.

The biggest concern with Jennings, Stuckey and Datome out is that the group won't have a chance to gain some chemistry in the preseason and work out the kinks before the regular season starts. Now it seems that they will have to adjust on the fly in the regular season which is sure to cost them a few wins.

Also, KCP's shooting percentage is UGLY. I know that he's a rook but step it up kid, show us something here.

Edited by NYLion

I don't get too worked up over preseason games, they really don't mean anything. Rose hadn't played in a few days, he was amped, the Pistons backcourt needs a MASH unit and...it was a preseason game.

But I do agree with the notion that Cheeks doesn't seem like a coach that will hold anyone accountable, open gym style.

I know it's not gonna happen but this team is going to be a work in progress. It's hopefully going to be a much better team in the 2nd half then it is in the first as these players get more time to gel and play together. Josh Smith won't give up being Atlanta Josh Smith right away but we have to hope as he gets more time with his guys, develops some chemistry, and some trust in his teammates he can start to focus on taking good shots and not just jacking up long two's....

these are the kind of things as fans we have to hope for and assume will happen until it doesn't...otherwise what's the fun.

Hard to comment since we cant watch the games. But I'm a little upset with the coaching staff and/or management.

Siva is just coming back from an injury and they play him 47 minutes? No Bynum, Stuckey, Jennings, or Billups tonight but come on. Siva ended up with 9 TO's tonight. So was that because he is terrible or because they ran him into the ground and played him 47 minutes? I'm not sure how you get an evaluation on him when you overplay him and tire him out like that.

Of course with not watching the game I suppose its possible Siva had 8 TO's in the first 10 minutes of the game.

I'm pretty sure Bynum has a couple of games over 40 minutes this year too. We knew Billups wasn't going to play much. So when Stuckey and Jennings went down the Pistons should have brought in another PG on a training camp contract to avoid situations like this. He would be another body for practice plus in a pinch he could play 10-15 minutes so Bynum/Siva don't have to do 47 minutes in a game.

I'm also not sure the point of playing Drummond/Monroe 37/35 minutes. I looked at the other 9 teams playing tonight, and of the 45 starters I think 4 or 5 others played over 30 minutes. I realize they only have 2 games left until the regular season but I would prefer to cap starter minutes at around 25 MPG in the preseason.

Learning Curve | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS

Fluff piece, but still some cool things in this article.

I like that Billups is watching film with KCP and Siva and helping them with their game. That's exactly the type of thing I wanted him to bring as a veteran PG. Sounds like he's already doing some assistant coaching.

Also, the comments about Tay vs KCP's defensive styles were interesting.

I think you might as well look at Siva while you can. There are likely 2 games left where he'll see any real action. He'll have plenty of time to heal.

The minutes for the big guys are a bit weird though.

Game against Washington is on FSD tonight. First look at the Pistons for me. Just about to tip off, welcome back Blaha and Special K.

No Jennings, KCP or Josh Smith. Singlar and Siva are starting. Could this team get healthy once?

Disappointing that Datome hasn't been healthy either. Real crappy preseason for injuries.

So far Chauncey is showing off why he is nicknamed smooth. He is controlling offense as if it was 04 when he is playing as pg. Singler's shots are falling and he had nice drive to basket. Moose hit top of key jumper, nice reverse layup and great behind the head pass to singler. Siva looks overmatched and has serious adjustments to make before we can expect him to contribute to this team. AD is doing much of same of things as we saw last year with his athleticism. Still very early but very pleased with Billups, Drummond, Monroe, and Singler in this game.

KCP is playing, I guess they just scratched him from the starting lineup.

Adding to what nikopolidis said, Chauncey looks as smooth as ever; good handle of the offense, smooth jumper some really nice passes. Siva has gotten a lot of minutes here in the pre-season, and the box scores seem to reflect what my eyes now tell me, he just isn't NBA caliber at this point. Pounds the ball into the floor with his head down and is slow to make decisions.

You can already hear a few players say ball don't lie, Sheed is teaching them well. 37 points for the Pistons in the first Q.