Deleterious

2013 Pistons Offseason

Yah, I worry about his willingness to spend. Though technically Gores didn't save any money on the Gordon deal really. He paid Maggette last year(saved a mil or 2, but that's rather negligible in this context) and then signed Smith this year. Basically we end up with Gordon and a 1st for Smith. Yes, you could have gotten Smith other ways, but in the end this is how it went down.

Nate Robinson just signed with Denver for the Bi-Annual exception. Basically 2 years for just over $6M total. Will Bynum signed for 2 years and $5.75 total.

Who got the better deal?

I think I'd rather have Bynum in my locker room than Robinson, and we got him cheaper. So, in that respect we got the better deal.

However, Bynum wasn't a terrible signing because of the dollars. It was terrible because:

A) He's a PG that wants to be a SG on a roster full of those players that would come ahead of him in the rotation

B) He's not young so it's not like we're locking up a prospect to groom

C) We lost both roster and cap flexibility by adding him

I think I'd rather have Bynum in my locker room than Robinson, and we got him cheaper. So, in that respect we got the better deal.

However, Bynum wasn't a terrible signing because of the dollars. It was terrible because:

A) He's a PG that wants to be a SG on a roster full of those players that would come ahead of him in the rotation

B) He's not young so it's not like we're locking up a prospect to groom

C) We lost both roster and cap flexibility by adding him

I agree with almost all of this. But is Robinson known as a bad guy to have in a locker-room? He always struck me as a real hard working dude who his teammates love.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/359444958085779456

A few names I've heard as Day 1 standouts from Team USA camp: Damian Lillard, Gordon Hayward, DeAndre Jordan AND collegian Doug McDermott

I admit I don't follow college basketball. But it seems like I should have heard of a guy good enough to be invited to this camp.

I agree with almost all of this. But is Robinson known as a bad guy to have in a locker-room? He always struck me as a real hard working dude who his teammates love.

Lots of guys don't like Robinson. He talks a lot of smack. That's the impression I get around here.

Yah, I worry about his willingness to spend. Though technically Gores didn't save any money on the Gordon deal really. He paid Maggette last year(saved a mil or 2, but that's rather negligible in this context) and then signed Smith this year. Basically we end up with Gordon and a 1st for Smith. Yes, you could have gotten Smith other ways, but in the end this is how it went down.

No, he saved all of Ben Gordon's contract. If he used the amnesty on Gordon, he would have had to pay the rest of Gordon's deal out of the teams operating costs (less profit for personal use) and then still find other players to meet the minimum cap requirements. Or else pay a fine based on the minimum requirement minus the total player salary. Whereas trading him for Maggette saves paying Gordon out of his operating costs and then just let Maggettes' contract be used to meet the salary floor. I still laugh at myself and others that thought Maggette had some potential useful role on this team. Yikes. He was just a means to save money, not cap space money mind you, but rather he saved money on Gores' 2nd yacht fund

Gores is awful. Just look at the coaches he has hired, cheap ones. The cheapest. Did you hear any big bucks coaches even being discussed? I didn't, because that money too comes right out of the owners operating costs. There is no penalty if you sign a cheap coach. The owner just saves money

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

The two SF's Monroe played the most with last year were Singler and Prince. Prince took 820 shots for the year and Singler 642. Josh Smith took 1182. Less shots for Monroe this year?

Looks like the salary info is out. 99% of my info comes from ShamSports on this. I have tweaked it a bit to show things I want to show. A few explanations:

Totals - Shows the total salary, but includes a rookies qualifying offer instead of his cap hold (CH will be bigger). Since its possible for a rookie to sign his QO and play on it, I figured its best to show what amount it is.

Totals With Cap Holds - This will be the number you want to use for salary cap purposes. This removes the QO's and instead uses the more expensive Cap Holds. So next year the Pistons have $74.5M committed. But its doubtful they keep Stuckey and CV so delete their cap holds which total $26,620,000. After that the Pistons actually have $48.8M committed.

Guaranteed Total - This is the total the Pistons could get down to if they cut all the players that were not guaranteed or declined all the team options. Kind of useless since they wont be cutting guys like Monroe.

qYXUa38.png

Edited by Deleterious

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/359815271009103872

Klay Thompson had a strong shooting day at Team USA camp in Vegas. Ty Lawson made some noise, too. Ditto for Lillard, Kyrie and P-George
But two names that keep coming up out here in Sin City that were not widely expected to wow us: Gordon Hayward & Creighton's Doug McDermott

Is everyone going to be happy when Monroe gets a max deal?

BTW, was there a bigger homer article than the Detroit bad boys piece of how athletic Greg Monroe is by showing a bunch of wide open dunks he had?

To be fair, they offered up some numbers to back up their assertion too. I'm not saying I agreed with them necessarily though.

Monroe's deal is a tough one. My first option would be too trade him if we could get solid value for him. I'd rather max him than let him walk for nothing though. I suppose a lot depends on how much Gores is willing to spend for a winner too.

I offer Monroe 4/$40M and am willing to go up to 4/$48M. He can sign that up to October 31st I believe. If he doesn't then I actively try to trade him during the season.

If I can't move him for something close to fair value then I let the market set his price. I hope he doesn't get a max deal which is around 4/$60M. But if he does you probably have to match it.

BTW, was there a bigger homer article than the Detroit bad boys piece of how athletic Greg Monroe is by showing a bunch of wide open dunks he had?

Why is it a foregone conclusion that Monroe gets a max deal? People thought guys like Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings would be massively overpaid this off-season but it didn't happen. I am not sure sure that will be the case with Monroe.

As it stands Monroe is not a max player. As Del said, he's a 10 to 12 million dollar/year contract. I'd pay that provided I like the progress he makes this year and how the lineup situation works out with the three bigs. I think Joe is hedging his bet here with Smith. Even if we lose Monroe, we still have a PF. I would just hate to lose him for nothing in return.

The market in 2014 will be much better for players than 2013. More teams set themselves up for the 2014 FA/draft cycle to hit it big. 2013 was more of a "Well, if we can't get a player we really want for our price we can just wait a year" type of deal. Next year it will be more of a "We can't afford to strike out, we need better players, we have to spend" situation. With that said, the days of Rashard Lewis types getting max deals are over. Monroe is a sub 10 million dollar a year player (between 8-12 mil will be his zone depending on market IMO), he is Paul Milsap in terms of on court impact.

The market in 2014 will be much better for players than 2013. More teams set themselves up for the 2014 FA/draft cycle to hit it big. 2013 was more of a "Well, if we can't get a player we really want for our price we can just wait a year" type of deal. Next year it will be more of a "We can't afford to strike out, we need better players, we have to spend" situation. With that said, the days of Rashard Lewis types getting max deals are over. Monroe is a sub 10 million dollar a year player (between 8-12 mil will be his zone depending on market IMO), he is Paul Milsap in terms of on court impact.

Uhh, Monroe is getting more then 8 million a year, he's getting more then Tyreke Evans got which was 11 per. Monroe starts at 12 million probably, and from there the Max is not far beyond for his experience. We are probably looking at a comparable contract to Smith's with Monroe, 4/50 - 4/54.

The "unathletic" Greg Monroe - Detroit Bad Boys

I am not a big fan of what Doolittle and the DBB author call "applied athleticism". Terrible term. No need to use the phrase. He basically gets numbers with below average and in some cases average athleticism the same way below average and average athletes have throughout NBA history. From sources of skill not related to their athletic ability.... Greg has a nice runner from inside 3 feet, he gets decent position for boards and battles well for them, and he has good hands. The game doesn't move too fast for him, and the lack of that trait alone has sunk more players than anything else. He has a good pace.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

Uhh, Monroe is getting more then 8 million a year, he's getting more then Tyreke Evans got which was 11 per. Monroe starts at 12 million probably, and from there the Max is not far beyond for his experience. We are probably looking at a comparable contract to Smith's with Monroe, 4/50 - 4/54.

I agree he gets more than 8 mil.

The thing with Monroe is, he is not a guy you are that afraid of overspending for. With a guy like Jennings, people will feel they might get ripped off, with Greg you will get most of your money back in performance. The worst case scenario is not that bad. He is just a uninspiring guy to give 4/54 too. I don't think he gets 4/54 though.

I see Draftexpress has McDermott listed as the 39th top prospect in next years draft. Doing well at this mini-camp will move him up that list quite a bit I imagine.

I offer Monroe 4/$40M and am willing to go up to 4/$48M. He can sign that up to October 31st I believe. If he doesn't then I actively try to trade him during the season.

If I can't move him for something close to fair value then I let the market set his price. I hope he doesn't get a max deal which is around 4/$60M. But if he does you probably have to match it.

That's a very reasonable way to go about the process IMO.