Deleterious

2013 Pistons Offseason

You know who would make a really nice pairing next to Knight in the backcourt is Greivis Vasquez. I know he is a little older and probably close to his ceiling but he is a true point guard with size who is a little slower footed. I don't think the Hornets view Austin Rivers as their point guard of the future anymore but I would love to get Vasquez for our first round pick + Jerebko or something like that.

Vasquez can't play defense at all, he is reviled in hornet land, they hate the guy, they would ship him out for a bag of balls. He is their Stuckey, other teams think he's good but the home fans do not.

A New Frontier | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DETROIT PISTONS

“A lot more shooting, a little more ballhandling, just being comfortable being a little bit further off the block,” he said. “I’ll be off the block more, although I can’t really say. …” And here he smiled, acknowledging the uncertainty of the system Lawrence Frank’s successor might implement.

But it’s a fair assumption that in the course of job interviews, Joe Dumars is going to spend a considerable amount of time quizzing candidates on their vision for a successful Monroe-Drummond pairing.

“I can assume, just because of the natural spacing, that I’ll be a little further from the basket a little more,” he said. “So just to make sure I’m comfortable there and to make sure I have confidence being further from the basket.”

Monroe took thousands of jump shots last summer, simulating game conditions as much as possible. But he admits he didn’t let those shots fly as freely as he might have once the season rolled around. The solution: thousands more this summer until it becomes second nature.

More at the link

It can only be learned to a certain extent. Chris Paul has it. Russell Westbrook doesn't. Jose Calderon has it. Eric Bledsoe doesn't (at least I don't think it does). If Knight develops into a competent starting point guard, it is going to have to be because of other things besides his passing (i.e. defense, shooting, speed, etc).

The jury is still out on Bledsoe's playmaking ability, but the guy is probably a starting point guard in every other way for 12-15 other teams.

Stuckey is almost worthless off the ball. We saw that this year. He may be a terrible point guard but I would argue he is still better at the point than anywhere else.

Just for comparisons sake, Knight is:

14 months older than Ben McLemore

4 months older than Oladipo

11 months older than Trey Burke

11 months older than Shabazz Muhammad

and 2 months younger than Michael Carter Williams

So even though he has already been in the league for two years, he is at most one graduating class ahead of the top guards in this years draft.

He's still developing, but that doesn't mean he's going to become a completely different player.

Isn't he pretty much everything we want Monroe to be?

For the most part. I am having a hard time getting over his age. 28 when the season starts. When Drummond enters his prime Aldridge will be over 30.

Vasquez can't play defense at all, he is reviled in hornet land, they hate the guy, they would ship him out for a bag of balls. He is their Stuckey, other teams think he's good but the home fans do not.

Does he match up with point guards or shooting guards? I know he is slow footed...that is why I think he is a good pairing with Knight who has very good lateral quickness and can defend opposing point guards. Even with defense his weakness, I would be able to live with it because I think his offense would offset it.

For the most part. I am having a hard time getting over his age. 28 when the season starts. When Drummond enters his prime Aldridge will be over 30.

I tend to agree...it's a tough call though. I would think a player like Aldridge who shoots so many jump shots would age very well. He next contract will start at his age 30 season. David West is 32 right now, Dirk is 34. Neither of these guys production suffered much in their early thirties and both are jump shooting power forwards.

You might as well just keep Calderon if you want Vasquez. He's a better version and a better fit.

I get this and have thought about that as well. But if you were looking at it from the perspective of who is a better fit next to Brandon Knight, I think it has to be Vasquez. He gives you some size the backcourt to match up with bigger guards. And he is five years younger; Calderon is more of a short term fix for this team but not the point guard of the future.

My guess is the Pistons bring Calderon back. I am okay with this. But I think you have to expect regression in his shooting percentages and I hope the Pistons take that into account before paying him.

The jury is still out on Bledsoe's playmaking ability, but the guy is probably a starting point guard in every other way for 12-15 other teams.

Don't forget about his jump shot. I don't watch Clippers game so I don't know how much he improved this year; he shot 40% but only took one three a game so there is definitely some room for improvement there.

He's still developing, but that doesn't mean he's going to become a completely different player.

Agreed. But I think he has good talent already; he just needs to get more out of it.

If we are going to measure him as a point guard and how he develops as a point guard, then we will likely always be disappointed.

this is the first time the I've seen anyone raise the opinion that Knights contesting that dunk was "dumb". You're on a team that night in and out is getting blown out and makes an effort to prevent an easy bucket when 95% of NBA players would have watched it from a safe distance is not a dumb play. Jordan had to make a phenomenal play to put that ball in the basket. His only mistake was perhaps not coming over soon enough but he forced Jordan to have to dunk that from the top of the circle. There was NOTHING stupid about his attempt to prevent an easy basket.

The sad truth however is that he did not improve at all this year. In fact he was basically the same player. It seems his career as a PG is over however so next year looks to be where we find out if he has a future as a starting SG or will he end up being a career bench player. I like the kid, I like his heart, I like his effort, I like what the say about his work ethic...I'd like him to perform better even more though.

Of course it was dumb.

Should he foul every player who is about to make a layup? I mean, every time someone is about to make an easy layup, should he hit their arm? How many three point plays would he give up?

Instead he gets props for making a largely futile effort to block a dunk that he has about a 1% chance of blocking, gets himself hurt, and fouls the guy in the process converting a two point dunk into a three point dunk.

There are plenty of opportunities to try hard on the court. Some of them actually make sense too. Trying to block that shot was stupid.

People watch the games as fans and think that things like knight's attempted block did anything for his teammates. It didn't. it might make us feel better as fans because he appears to 'work hard' (by getting his head beat in), but it really meant nothing in the game or for the season other than giving the Clippers another point.

Aldridge is too old. Keep Monroe and hope he develops a jumper.

Although just so everyone knows, Monroe is going to be making Aldridge money very very soon.

Is Nate Robinson of the Bulls worth looking at as a PG option?

NOOOOOOO! The Bulls hate him even though he's the only guy on their team that can score now that Rose's brother told derrick he shouldn't play this year.

Robinson is Bynum on steroids, only without any defense and with a much, much, MUCH bigger mouth. And if you think Rodney Stuckey will ignore everyone else and just go one on one, you should watch Nate Robinson (only Robinson can actually finish).

Good breakdown of Robinson

I think Hunter has potential as a coach. I don't really know, but he has generated some positive buzz before actually becoming Phoenix's coach. I agree that it wouldn't be the right move for us though.

Of course it was dumb.

Should he foul every player who is about to make a layup? I mean, every time someone is about to make an easy layup, should he hit their arm? How many three point plays would he give up?

Instead he gets props for making a largely futile effort to block a dunk that he has about a 1% chance of blocking, gets himself hurt, and fouls the guy in the process converting a two point dunk into a three point dunk.

There are plenty of opportunities to try hard on the court. Some of them actually make sense too. Trying to block that shot was stupid.

People watch the games as fans and think that things like knight's attempted block did anything for his teammates. It didn't. it might make us feel better as fans because he appears to 'work hard' (by getting his head beat in), but it really meant nothing in the game or for the season other than giving the Clippers another point.

If you watch the replay, Knight was coming over from the weakside to close of the lane. It was not like he had time to think about the percentages of all that could happen by trying to make the play. Quite honestly, I think he was trying to intercept the pass at first before it turned into a block attempt after Jordan beat him to the pass. It was the right basketball play to come over and try and close off the lane. It was not like he was trying to get in front a Lebron James freight train that you could see coming. It all happened very quick.

If you watch the replay, Knight was coming over from the weakside to close of the lane. It was not like he had time to think about the percentages of all that could happen by trying to make the play. Quite honestly, I think he was trying to intercept the pass at first before it turned into a block attempt after Jordan beat him to the pass. It was the right basketball play to come over and try and close off the lane. It was not like he was trying to get in front a Lebron James freight train that you could see coming. It all happened very quick.

I could be misremembering....