Deleterious

2013 Pistons Offseason

I don’t have anything to base this off, just a gut feeling.

Brandon Knight will come back strong next season. He has shown a lot of heart all year fighting through injuries and issues that have come up and has demonstrated himself to be a real leader in the way he reacted. From getting posterized, to getting his ankles broken, he has been a professional.

I see his work ethic, intelligence and his experience overcoming adversity as positives that will help him have a semi-breakthrough season next year. And he is still incredibly young. This guy should still be in college and coming out THIS season.

I didn't see much improvement at all from Knight this year. The conclusion on Knight from this season is that he still can't play point guard. He's young so he has time to improve, but he wasn't good this year.

People bring up that Jordan dunk as some sort of display of toughness by Knight. To me, that was a stupid play. He was going to get dunked on and by jumping up against a guy that much taller than him the only thing he was going to accomplish was to foul him and give him a chance to make a three point play. It was a rookie mistake.

It's nice that he doesn't seem to back down, but I'd much rather see him make smarter plays.

But like I said, he's young enough that he might improve. But last season shouldn't encourage anyone.

Knight is a tough kid. He knew he was gonna get run over but he took it, that is the type of toughness this team needs. And I am glad he didn’t get out of the way like 90% of the roster would have. Even if he got dunked on, he showed a lot of heart. He is the opposite of Rodney Stuckey.

I’m not encouraged by what I saw on the court and much as how I saw him react to the failures. Knight was not ready to come out of college when he did. He needed a lot of coaching and sadly, he has already seen coaching changes in the NBA. I hope this next coach can really guide his raw talent and hard work into a solid NBA guard. The great thing is he will not be Stuckey, and he will not be CV. He will give 100% to every practice and every game, and I really respect the kid for his demeanor and work ethic. Whether he will actually develop into a good NBA player remains to be seen.

People are really down about the character of this team (for good reason) but I believe our top 3 young players (Drummond, Monroe and Knight) are the hardest working and highest character guys we have, which is great for a developing team.

Knight is a tough kid. He knew he was gonna get run over but he took it, that is the type of toughness this team needs. And I am glad he didn’t get out of the way like 90% of the roster would have. Even if he got dunked on, he showed a lot of heart. He is the opposite of Rodney Stuckey.

I’m not encouraged by what I saw on the court and much as how I saw him react to the failures. Knight was not ready to come out of college when he did. He needed a lot of coaching and sadly, he has already seen coaching changes in the NBA. I hope this next coach can really guide his raw talent and hard work into a solid NBA guard. The great thing is he will not be Stuckey, and he will not be CV. He will give 100% to every practice and every game, and I really respect the kid for his demeanor and work ethic. Whether he will actually develop into a good NBA player remains to be seen.

People are really down about the character of this team (for good reason) but I believe our top 3 young players (Drummond, Monroe and Knight) are the hardest working and highest character guys we have, which is great for a developing team.

But it was dumb for him to try to block that shot. I'd rather see a little brains to go with that heart.

How do we know Knight gives 100% in practice every day? I've never seen him practice. I've seen him get down on himself and not hustle in NBA games, it's not like he's 100% hustle all the time. that's a myth, IMO, and is the product of Piston marketing and Piston writer fan-boyism.

Look, I like that Knight appears to try hard a lot. That's great. But if he's not talented enough to be a starter or a productive player in the NBA, then it won't matter how hard he appears to try. At this point, I'm not sure he's good enough to be an NBA starter on a good team. We'll see how he looks next year and if he's made any improvements. He's still young, so he's got time to get better and more consistent.

But it was dumb for him to try to block that shot. I'd rather see a little brains to go with that heart.

How do we know Knight gives 100% in practice every day? I've never seen him practice. I've seen him get down on himself and not hustle in NBA games, it's not like he's 100% hustle all the time. that's a myth, IMO, and is the product of Piston marketing and Piston writer fan-boyism.

Look, I like that Knight appears to try hard a lot. That's great. But if he's not talented enough to be a starter or a productive player in the NBA, then it won't matter how hard he appears to try. At this point, I'm not sure he's good enough to be an NBA starter on a good team. We'll see how he looks next year and if he's made any improvements. He's still young, so he's got time to get better and more consistent.

I am going based on what all the beat writers and those associated with the Pistons have said about Knight. No one is writing about how Stuckey is such a hard worker. And on the court, I see Knight hustling harder than most of his teammates.

As far as it being a dumb play, that is a play every young player with any heart makes. If you have ever played basketball, you know that is something you naturally do to contest a shot. It comes with age. I would rather he take on that challenge then run from it. And considering how that game was a display of no one giving 2 craps about the team, Knight showed leadership in actually trying while his teammates stood around.

I am going based on what all the beat writers and those associated with the Pistons have said about Knight. No one is writing about how Stuckey is such a hard worker. And on the court, I see Knight hustling harder than most of his teammates.

As far as it being a dumb play, that is a play every young player with any heart makes. If you have ever played basketball, you know that is something you naturally do to contest a shot. It comes with age. I would rather he take on that challenge then run from it. And considering how that game was a display of no one giving 2 craps about the team, Knight showed leadership in actually trying while his teammates stood around.

True.

Knight is not a point guard...that is a problem considering his size. He could develop late into a guy who can play the point position adequately on a good team, ala Billups, but I would not count on it. Billups was a very good player but did not have natural point guard skills; that is the best we can hope for from Knight.

The reason I like him is because he has more talent than I thought. He showed more athleticism this year than I thought he had, improved his ball handling more than I thought he would, and I thought his jump shot even looked improved later in the year.

I didn't see much improvement at all from Knight this year. The conclusion on Knight from this season is that he still can't play point guard. He's young so he has time to improve, but he wasn't good this year.

People bring up that Jordan dunk as some sort of display of toughness by Knight. To me, that was a stupid play. He was going to get dunked on and by jumping up against a guy that much taller than him the only thing he was going to accomplish was to foul him and give him a chance to make a three point play. It was a rookie mistake.

It's nice that he doesn't seem to back down, but I'd much rather see him make smarter plays.

But like I said, he's young enough that he might improve. But last season shouldn't encourage anyone.

Well, Knight's problems are difficult to resolve I think. His biggest issue is he isn't a very good ball handler for the position he plays, his dribble is higher then Magic's, someone should teach him how to bend.

this is the first time the I've seen anyone raise the opinion that Knights contesting that dunk was "dumb". You're on a team that night in and out is getting blown out and makes an effort to prevent an easy bucket when 95% of NBA players would have watched it from a safe distance is not a dumb play. Jordan had to make a phenomenal play to put that ball in the basket. His only mistake was perhaps not coming over soon enough but he forced Jordan to have to dunk that from the top of the circle. There was NOTHING stupid about his attempt to prevent an easy basket.

The sad truth however is that he did not improve at all this year. In fact he was basically the same player. It seems his career as a PG is over however so next year looks to be where we find out if he has a future as a starting SG or will he end up being a career bench player. I like the kid, I like his heart, I like his effort, I like what the say about his work ethic...I'd like him to perform better even more though.

I only recently realized that when people were saying Knight isn't a PG, that they thought he should be given a chance as a starting SG. That's an even worse idea. He is not a starting SG in this league. He is a combo guard off the bench or he's a scoring PG.

I only recently realized that when people were saying Knight isn't a PG, that they thought he should be given a chance as a starting SG. That's an even worse idea. He is not a starting SG in this league. He is a combo guard off the bench or he's a scoring PG.

This is probably true but given the Pistons situation, I don't think it hurts to give Knight next year as the starting shooting guard and see what happens.

I would absolutely hate that. We have 2 positions to fill basically, assuming we sign Calderon. SG and SF. We have a high lottery pick and 20 mil to play with(or close). We better be able to find some sort of real SG with those resources. Knight could be very good in the Jason Terry role, and 6th man is also a hole for us.

This is what I like about Knight. I don't know if he's going to develop into something even semi-exciting, but the fact he is a tough player and seems to have a lot of heart means I'm willing to give him many opportunities to show that. Plus, it's not like he's 25 - he's something like 19 or 20. The dunk play has nothing to do with this thought process for me either. This last 1/4th of the season - when things just sucked rocks, I really liked his fight and heart when he was getting beat up like a rag doll for many of those games.

I would absolutely hate that. We have 2 positions to fill basically, assuming we sign Calderon. SG and SF. We have a high lottery pick and 20 mil to play with(or close). We better be able to find some sort of real SG with those resources. Knight could be very good in the Jason Terry role, and 6th man is also a hole for us.

If we found a competent shooting guard for a reasonable price, I would be okay with that. But the only guy I have seen mentioned I somewhat like is Tyreke Evans. No thanks to paying Mayo. We may have a lot of a lot of cap room but I hope we don't spend it just to spend it. We are not a contender yet so no need overpay to find that final piece of the puzzle.

Knight being a PG - he's obviously not there right now. It's certainly going to have to be something that he learns that's very much against his nature and his skill set. One thing you'll never see Knight do is survey the court. Of course, you can say that about a lot of the Pistons' guards. That was the one thing that really was noticeable when Calderon came. You had this guy surveying the court the minute he got the inbound pass. At this point in his career, Knight isn't able to survey the court with any degree of consistency - not if he's being pressured, or not being pressured or at any time. How much of that can be learned? I don't know. But, I'm willing to play it out for a few years and see what he becomes.

Knight being a PG - he's obviously not there right now. It's certainly going to have to be something that he learns that's very much against his nature and his skill set. One thing you'll never see Knight do is survey the court. Of course, you can say that about a lot of the Pistons' guards. That was the one thing that really was noticeable when Calderon came. You had this guy surveying the court the minute he got the inbound pass. At this point in his career, Knight isn't able to survey the court with any degree of consistency - not if he's being pressured, or not being pressured or at any time. How much of that can be learned? I don't know. But, I'm willing to play it out for a few years and see what he becomes.

It can only be learned to a certain extent. Chris Paul has it. Russell Westbrook doesn't. Jose Calderon has it. Eric Bledsoe doesn't (at least I don't think it does). If Knight develops into a competent starting point guard, it is going to have to be because of other things besides his passing (i.e. defense, shooting, speed, etc).

Is Nate Robinson of the Bulls worth looking at as a PG option?

Probably not...seems like a Will Bynum clone.

It can only be learned to a certain extent. Chris Paul has it. Russell Westbrook doesn't. Jose Calderon has it. Eric Bledsoe doesn't (at least I don't think it does). If Knight develops into a competent starting point guard, it is going to have to be because of other things besides his passing (i.e. defense, shooting, speed, etc).

I get the impression watching Knight that he isn't strong enough to be a great NBA passer. Just not enough on the ball.

If we found a competent shooting guard for a reasonable price, I would be okay with that. But the only guy I have seen mentioned I somewhat like is Tyreke Evans. No thanks to paying Mayo. We may have a lot of a lot of cap room but I hope we don't spend it just to spend it. We are not a contender yet so no need overpay to find that final piece of the puzzle.

I don't mean that I want to overpay. If that's the situation we find ourselves in, then I guess we are stuck with what we have at SG. I'd still start Stuckey though tbh.

I don't mean that I want to overpay. If that's the situation we find ourselves in, then I guess we are stuck with what we have at SG. I'd still start Stuckey though tbh.

Stuckey is almost worthless off the ball. We saw that this year. He may be a terrible point guard but I would argue he is still better at the point than anywhere else.

Just for comparisons sake, Knight is:

14 months older than Ben McLemore

4 months older than Oladipo

11 months older than Trey Burke

11 months older than Shabazz Muhammad

and 2 months younger than Michael Carter Williams

So even though he has already been in the league for two years, he is at most one graduating class ahead of the top guards in this years draft.

You know who would make a really nice pairing next to Knight in the backcourt is Greivis Vasquez. I know he is a little older and probably close to his ceiling but he is a true point guard with size who is a little slower footed. I don't think the Hornets view Austin Rivers as their point guard of the future anymore but I would love to get Vasquez for our first round pick + Jerebko or something like that.

You know who would make a really nice pairing next to Knight in the backcourt is Greivis Vasquez. I know he is a little older and probably close to his ceiling but he is a true point guard with size who is a little slower footed. I don't think the Hornets view Austin Rivers as their point guard of the future anymore but I would love to get Vasquez for our first round pick + Jerebko or something like that.

Shame you couldn't make a deal with the Pelican fans. They seem to pretty much hate Vasquez for some reason.