Deleterious

2013 Pistons Offseason

2013 Draft

May 21 - Draft Lottery

June 27 - Draft

The Pistons finished tied for 7th with Washington in the lottery. A coin flip was held to break the tie and Detroit won. The 71 draft combinations were combined between the 7th and 8th spot. Washington will get 35 combinations and because Detroit won the coin flip they get the extra combination, bringing their total to 36. Detroit also won the right to pick 7th and Washington 8th if neither teams moves up and nobody behind them moves up. They reverse that order in the 2nd round. The Pistons hold the following picks in the draft:

1st round - 7th overall (Final spot to be determined in the draft lottery)

2nd round - 38th overall

2nd round - 56th overall (Pick received from the Clippers as part of the Alex Acker deal)

First link is to our draft thread. The other three are to different mock drafts.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-pistons/99426-2013-draft-thread.html

DraftExpress: 2013 Mock Draft

2013 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

2013 NBA Lottery Mock Draft - ESPN

Salary Cap Info

2013-14 Salary Cap - This isn't set until the first week in July. 2012-13 was $58.044M. It usually goes up from the previous year.

2013-14 Luxury Tax - This isn't set until the first week in July. 2012-13 was $70.307M. The Luxury Tax is calculated off of the salary cap using a formula that I have no clue about.

MaMOl2h.jpg

WTF is a cap hold? Good question. It's a percentage of the free agents salary from the previous year. Their are rules to determine the percentage. Calderon and Magette were 150% of last years salary. Max and Will were 190% of last years salary.

Yes it counts against your salary cap. As long as you keep the cap hold, you also keep the Bird rights to the free agent. You can renounce a player and lose the cap hold but you also lose his Bird rights. An example of that would be Maggette. The Pistons have no interest in bringing him back so they will renounce him and once they do that $16M cap hold disappears and so do his Bird rights. But they don't care because they are not going to sign him anyway.

The opposite of Maggette is Calderon. The Pistons probably (lets just assume) want him back next year. So they keep that cap hold and his Bird rights. Once he signs his new contract, that then becomes his salary cap number and the cap hold is gone. So if he gets $7M his first year, that 16M becomes $7M.

Some other salary cap notes:

Stuckeys contract can be bought out for $4M. Meaning they could shed another $4.5M in cap space if they want.

The Pistons still have the amnesty clause to use if they want to. Charlie V. is the only player eligible for it.

Rookie salaries are set in the NBA. You can sign for between 120% and 80% of that base number. Almost every first rounder signs for 120% of the base number. So that $2.4M will be more like $2.8M. The base salary counts against the cap the second the player is drafted. Once he is signed the negotiated number is then used.

A new luxury tax system starts this season. I'm not going into it here but its ugly and really punishes teams that are over the luxury tax. Read more here.

Free Agency

July 1 thru July 10th - This is known as the July Moratorium. The league uses this time to audit the financials from the previous season and that is used to set the new salary cap and luxury tax. Teams can start to negotiate with free agents, but rosters are frozen and no trades are allowed during this time. Most free agents can not sign during this time. Some noted exceptions:

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

Teams may sign their first round draft picks (to a standard rookie "scale" contract -- see question number 48)

A second round draft pick can accept a required tender, which is a one-year contract offer teams must submit to retain their rights to the player.

A restricted free agent can accept a qualifying offer from his prior team (see question number 43).

A restricted free agent finishing the fourth season of his rookie "scale" contract can accept a maximum qualifying offer. The player will receive the maximum salary, but the actual amount is not determined until the end of the moratorium (see question number 43).

Teams may sign players to minimum salary contracts for one or two seasons, with no bonuses of any kind.

All other signings must wait until the moratorium ends.

July 11th - The moratorium is lifted and free agents can sign with new teams. Trades can happen again.

July 11th - July 18th - This is the time period teams can use amnesty. This is the only time during the year it can be used.

Complete list of NBA free agents in 2013 and 2014 - ESPN

As you can see from the salary cap info above. The Pistons will have roughly $20M in cap space to use. If they amnesty Charlie V. Buyout Stuckey, get rid of everyone else on team options, they could end up with about $35M in cap space. Obviously they could also use any combination of those things to come up with cap space between $20M-$35M as well.

Summer League

The Pistons announced they will participate in the Orlando summer league again this year.

I cant find any dates for the league this year. But I think it usually starts the Monday after the 4th of July, which would be July 8th this year.

10 teams are expected to participate. The Brooklyn Nets, Boston Celtics, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Oklahoma City Thunder, Philadelphia 76ers and Utah Jazz, and Orlando Magic all participated last year. This year the Heat and Rockets are scheduled to be there as well.

Players I would expect to play for the Pistons. Drummond, Singler, Middleton, Slava, English, and all three draft picks. Knight said he will be there practicing with the team but will not play in the games.

Games are closed to the public but are broadcast on TV.

1) Sorry if this is muddled or poorly worded. I was just trying to get as much info out as I could.

2) The Pistons currently are free to make trades. The one catch is they can only make trades with other teams not in the playoffs. As teams are eliminated they can start to trade with them as well.

One thing I forget in regards to rosters and trades. From 6PM the day before the draft until the draft is complete, you can't trade a lottery pick.

You also cant trade any pick on draft day before the pick is made.

A couple of things I think will happen.

-We'll end up with the 7th or worse pick because we're never lucky enough to get a higher then slated pick.

-I don't think we're gonna amnesty CV or buy-out Stuckey. I think the trade of Ben and Tay has alleviated the need to do that to be a player in this seasons FA market, and at the same time will open up cap space next year. Paired with Stuckey mid season, they could potentially land us a big piece being a combined $17 Million.

-I do think we'll add a big piece, potentially OJ Mayo whose outside shooting would fit in great with Drummond. I really can't see anyone giving him more than 10/yr.

-No clue who our head coach will be, but I think it will not be someone without previous HC experience.

- Chris Paul will stun the world and demand a sign and trade with Detroit

does our potential loss of our first round pick next year prevent us from trading this years pick?

does our potential loss of our first round pick next year prevent us from trading this years pick?

Correct.

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

When dealing with protected picks, the Stepien rule is interpreted to mean that teams can't trade a pick if there is any chance it will leave the team without a first round pick in consecutive future drafts.

Two ways around that rule.

1) Work out a trade with a team but don't execute it. Have them tell you what player to draft and make the trade right after the draft. Sounds risky but you always here the commentators say that pick is being made for another team.

2) Simply trade for another 1st round pick. The rule only says you need a first round pick, it doesn't have to be your own.

OKC has two first round picks this year. They are close to the luxury tax. They might not want to guaranteed contracts on their books. Maybe they would take the Pistons two second round picks for their #29 since 2nd round picks don't count against the cap like a 1st rounder does.

Yea, I was looking at the Eric Gordon thing too, he just makes too much money to take a chance on him. When he plays and where he plays, he would be the top guy, but he his hurt all the time and making 15 million. Doesn't look like he can be amnestied.

I'm thinking the Pistons should roll like this.

Sign Tyreke Evans for 8 million, trade for Evan Turner, keep the pick and take BPA, and roll with that. Detroit makes the playoffs next year, and still has some money to re-up Monroe and add another player. Bad news they lose their pick in 14' in a loaded draft, maybe they can try to use the capspace to help some teams this year in exchange for picks in 14'.

Sign Tyreke Evans for 8 million, trade for Evan Turner, keep the pick and take BPA, and roll with that. Detroit makes the playoffs next year, and still has some money to re-up Monroe and add another player. Bad news they lose their pick in 14' in a loaded draft, maybe they can try to use the capspace to help some teams this year in exchange for picks in 14'.

You would be getting about 1.5 threes a game combined from Evans and Turner. That is just not enough to stretch a defense from your two wing positions, especially considering where our front court likes to operate.

Evans intrigues me but I also want to see what happens with Brandon Knight starting at the two guard next year. Can Evans play small forward?

Evans is a more athletic Stuckey. Turner can't shoot.

Like Hart said, it won't help you space the floor at all and would just add another selfish ball hog no pass guard to the roster. I wouldn't want either one of them.

Stuckey in a contract year will probably be better than Evans. Turner will end up being a bench player, IMO. The Pistons need shooters.

I love Bledsoe. We need the athleticism so I'd be all for it. Not sure how you do it though. Monroe and Stuckey for Jordan and Bledsoe? Then flip Jordan

I love Bledsoe. We need the athleticism so I'd be all for it. Not sure how you do it though. Monroe and Stuckey for Jordan and Bledsoe? Then flip Jordan

I'm not sure if LA would want to lose Jordan's shot blocking, as Griffin isn't the best defender in the world. Would gladly trade this year's pick for Bledsoe, though.

What do you guys think about trading for Eric Bledsoe?

Knight is better/younger then Bledsoe. Bledsoe is fools gold, his starter averages aren't that great, he benefits by playing against 2nd teamers. His value has went up because he has been sitting on the bench.

Knight is better/younger then Bledsoe. Bledsoe is fools gold, his starter averages aren't that great, he benefits by playing against 2nd teamers. His value has went up because he has been sitting on the bench.

This. Trading for Bledsoe would just be the start of a long journey down a road of futility.

I'm not sure if LA would want to lose Jordan's shot blocking, as Griffin isn't the best defender in the world. Would gladly trade this year's pick for Bledsoe, though.

They only play JOrdan about 25 minutes a game though because he can't play in the 4th quarter and is generally useless offensively. He's also expensive for them given the other guys they have to pay. I think Monroe woudl be a much better fit, with a decent defensive veteran type behind him.

This is very possible and I would evaluate his tape thoroughly before making any move. However, I think you need plus athleticism from the PG spot these days and Bledsoe definitely has that. Not sure if he can be a pure PG though. Pretty bad A/TO