thefunk

4.8.13 Michigan v. Louisville

This was their f*cking chance at a title. I had the "happy to be here" mentality until about midway through the Florida game. Then I wanted it badly from then on.

great returning class if GRIII and Mitch decide they want to stay, but seriously... they had TREY BURKE THE NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR on their team and let it slip away.

Spike was awesome tonight, and I would love for him to prove me wrong. But I can't see them returning to this stage with him and LaVert handling the backcourt. GRIII is seriously going to miss those gift lobs that Chris Paul 2.0 was throwing him all season. I guess this is the nature of college hoops, but damn this hurts once it all sinks in.

Gonna go watch video of the next recruiting class

/negative post over

I usually come to terms and give credit where it's due if one of my teams gets beat by a team fair and square. This was not one of those nights. Yes, Michigan had their negatives. The last six minutes of the first half was atrocious as Michigan reverted back to the regular season play of being lazy on defensive rotations and wandering around aimlessly on defense. However, what you saw today is what happens when two referees who work all Big East (and SEC) games referee in the title game with a Big East team in it. The blatant goaltend that was easy to see in real time about two minutes in to the game that wasn't called, the Burke "foul" on one of the most clean blocks you'll ever see on a fast break, the phantom foul on Burke from Hancock's three where Hancock clearly jumped sideways about two feet to draw contact. Incredible. Michigan did not get beat by the better team tonight and I will never accept that they did.

Every single ref from this game should be deported to Siberia...

SMF9WGl_medium.gif

The textbook definition of a block. That was a four point swing right there. That was basically the game.

This doesn't even make sense though, even if you thought you were in the bonus you don't waste 20 seconds on the off chance a big man gets the ball (which he wouldn't if the other team was actually in the bonus)

Sounds like he's covering for the players to me.

Great game other than the all around horrendous officiating (and I don't mean this in a biased way, they blew some ridiculous calls both ways all game, just awful for a national title game) and a great year all around. Who would have thought this would happen after the Penn State game? Definitely the most fun team since the fab five and I doubt they'll leave the garbage legacy those guys did.

Hardaway Jr sucked the whole tournament, but I'll still be sad if he goes pro. No hope that Burke stays and I bet G-Rob III is gone as well which is also sad since he never really did anything in college. Hope McGary stays and the team should be pretty good next year with Walton, Irvin, and that other guy who I'm too drunk to remember coming in.

They have a ver ygood coach who's recruiting well, easy to forget the Amaker and Ellerbee eras not so long ago. Of course, no matter how good they are simple luck says they're unlikely to get here again. Sucks.

Any number of things could have changed the outcome. It was unfortunate that the coaching staff and players were not aware that they were not in the bonus, but it was still an uphill battle, even with an additional 20 seconds added to the clock.

Louisville just made more plays. Even with the missed call on burke's block, they still had chances to get stops. Louisville was just too good.

The only other thing I might criticize is leaving Burke on the bench the rest of the first half. It is easy to second guess that now, but they had a 12 point lead with a few minutes to go. No one could have predicted that they would go on such a run so quickly, and with so little time in the half remaining, the last thing you need is Burke pickin up his third right before halftime of a game that you appeare to e controlling. That run happened so fast. And Burke ended up with four fouls by the end of the game.

All that being said, it was a great game and they were right there at the end with a chance. Somebody had to lose.

Congrat to Louisville for beating an excellent Michigan team, and congrats to Michigan for a great run to being national runners up. That accomplishment will not be forgotten.

It's so hard to even reach that point, and it hurts when you are on the losing end when presented with that opportunity. I'm just a fan, so I'm forced to imagine how it feels, but you look at all th great programs and coaches that have won championships, an it's not an easy feat.

The big ten, as we all know, has won the title since 2000, and the big ten has had a lot of great teams since then.

Duke has only won four championships, the last coming in 2010, and before that 2001.

Pitino only has two championships.

Roy Williams ha two.

It will probably be awhile until Michigan gets that chance again, but I think they will be in another final four under beilein.

This was a special team for a lot of reasons. National player of the year. Young future nba players. A final four and championship game appearance.

We probably won't see another player like Burke. But you don't need a player like Burke to win it all, as Louisville showed. Beilein has another great class coming in, and all indications point to continued success in bringing in great players.

This became a long and meandering post. Michigan basketball is back and in good hands. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future. I wouldn't trade this program for anything at this point.

After a night of sleep-- I'm still annoyed with the bad calls. But, it was fun. Except for the bad calls.

If Beilein continues to recruit well (and this run can only help that effort), the program is in good shape.

I'd love to see what next year looks like with Beilein/McGary/Albrecht/incoming players.

As a general statement I hate taking a guy who doesn't foul much out of the game in that situation, but given that he ended up with 4 fouls and Albrecht played ludicrously well in his place I don't see how it really hurt the team. They actually had the theoretically best available defender (Lavert) in for most (all?) of the bombed in threes that got Louisville back in the game, so I don't think it really impacted that much.

I'm not really sure what Michigan could have done differently other than run the fast break better (several missed opportunities) and play a little better on defense. It just came down to getting a few bad breaks and missing a few too many opportunities against a great team.

Great game other than the all around horrendous officiating (and I don't mean this in a biased way, they blew some ridiculous calls both ways all game, just awful for a national title game) and a great year all around. Who would have thought this would happen after the Penn State game? Definitely the most fun team since the fab five and I doubt they'll leave the garbage legacy those guys did.

That's how I felt about the officiating. Both teams had about the same number of bad calls go against them, so even though the officiating was bad, I can't say they were unfair. At least they didn't let it turn into a Big Ten slugfest, which allowed it to be such an enjoyable game to watch, despite the good guys losing.

Well, that was disappointing after being up double digits in the first half.

That's where I'm at too.

Blaming refs is so weak. We got beat. They outplayed us entirely from the Hancock's 3s on. THere were 2 main reasons we lost IMO.

1. Mcgary's foul trouble/lack of effectiveness(the man fueled this entire run)

2. Hancock vs. Stauskas as shooters

Hardaway didn't play very well, but I think that gets cancelled out Spike doing what he did and Russ SMith also struggling.

Blaming refs is so weak. We got beat. They outplayed us entirely from the Hancock's 3s on. THere were 2 main reasons we lost IMO.

1. Mcgary's foul trouble/lack of effectiveness(the man fueled this entire run)

2. Hancock vs. Stauskas as shooters

Hardaway didn't play very well, but I think that gets cancelled out Spike doing what he did and Russ SMith also struggling.

It seemed to me they had decided on a strategy in the second half to try and get Louisville into foul trouble, but they played too slow for to be effective and they ran out of clock first. If you want to get the other team in fold trouble, drive with 25-30 left on the shot clock, not 5-10. I also thought it odd they didn't play Lavirt more as he is supposedly a better defender and they weren't getting many stops.

Edited by Gehringer_2

That's how I felt about the officiating. Both teams had about the same number of bad calls go against them, so even though the officiating was bad, I can't say they were unfair. At least they didn't let it turn into a Big Ten slugfest, which allowed it to be such an enjoyable game to watch, despite the good guys losing.

A lot of basketball talkers say Louisville fouls every possession. Even putting that aside, I count several critical calls that went against Michigan and I'm having a tough time coming up with many against Louisville. These weren't of clutching, hand checking variety either.

When all is said and done I don't look at the fouls, choosing to keep Burke on the bench or Beilein's clock management. McGary didn't grab enough rebounds and Robinson couldn't keep his guy off the boards. Still, it was a great game and a great run.

A lot of basketball talkers say Louisville fouls every possession. Even putting that aside, I count several critical calls that went against Michigan and I'm having a tough time coming up with many against Louisville. These weren't of clutching, hand checking variety either.

When all is said and done I don't look at the fouls, choosing to keep Burke on the bench or Beilein's clock management. McGary didn't grab enough rebounds and Robinson couldn't keep his guy off the boards. Still, it was a great game and a great run.

I'm very pissed about the refs:

Goaltend - takes away 2 points and leads to a Burke foul 5 seconds later on the resulting transition.

McGary clearly undercut on rebound and loses possession (omen to LaVert at end of game)

Hancock jumps into Burke, 2nd foul on Burke that shouldn't have been.

Robinson hit on elbow on made jumper.

Burke awesome block, gives them 2 points. 3rd foul on Burke that shouldn't have been.

This is all stuff that occurred in the open floor where they had clean views and was not subject to any real judgement, nor the over the back on the last significant rebound that wasn't called (that one was a bit away from the ball and a bit was hard to see). I didn't like it how much they let them play under the basket when Michigan was on defense, and the CBS crew mentioned a couple of these as well, but that could be at least justified as letting them play, instead of incompetence (at best).

Michigan got a couple of breaks on some calls when Albrecht was running point (shouldn't have had to do that for more than a couple minutes anyways) but I think that was a difference of 4 points max, not 10 that Louisville got on those 5 obvious plays, not to mention how they limited Burke's minutes.

This is not to say that M would have won the game had the refs been competent and/or fair in their incompetence, but I don't think they would have been down 10 with 4 minutes left and would have had a better chance to win.

/anger

But yeah, great kids, great coaches, great season, great style of basketball up at Ann Arbor. The entire season was fun to watch, above and beyond rooting interest. I think this would be my favorite program even if I wasn't a Michigan fan, and I'm looking to forward to see how the young kids develop.

I'm very pissed about the refs:

Goaltend - takes away 2 points and leads to a Burke foul 5 seconds later on the resulting transition.

McGary clearly undercut on rebound and loses possession (omen to LaVert at end of game)

Hancock jumps into Burke, 2nd foul on Burke that shouldn't have been.

Robinson hit on elbow on made jumper.

Burke awesome block, gives them 2 points. 3rd foul on Burke that shouldn't have been.

This is all stuff that occurred in the open floor where they had clean views and was not subject to any real judgement, nor the over the back on the last significant rebound that wasn't called (that one was a bit away from the ball and a bit was hard to see). I didn't like it how much they let them play under the basket when Michigan was on defense, and the CBS crew mentioned a couple of these as well, but that could be at least justified as letting them play, instead of incompetence (at best).

Michigan got a couple of breaks on some calls when Albrecht was running point (shouldn't have had to do that for more than a couple minutes anyways) but I think that was a difference of 4 points max, not 10 that Louisville got on those 5 obvious plays, not to mention how they limited Burke's minutes.

This is not to say that M would have won the game had the refs been competent and/or fair in their incompetence, but I don't think they would have been down 10 with 4 minutes left and would have had a better chance to win.

/anger

But yeah, great kids, great coaches, great season, great style of basketball up at Ann Arbor. The entire season was fun to watch, above and beyond rooting interest. I think this would be my favorite program even if I wasn't a Michigan fan, and I'm looking to forward to see how the young kids develop.

Exactly. Yes, there were bad calls on both sides. However, the bad calls on Michigan, for the most part, directly resulted in points going Louisville's way or a key player sitting out. The bad calls against Louisville were handchecks and swipes that did nothing to change the game, and even when one of their players would have been in foul trouble, the referees gave the foul to the wrong guy.

16 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

blast from the past as far as threads go, but how long before nobody won the 2013 national championship?

cheater finally got caught.

Most of the top programs cheat and cheat a lot.  The whole system needs to be flushed, the shoe companies taken out of AAU and college equation.  The corruption is disgusting, souls for soles.

So much more proud of JB and this 2013 team for what they did. Screw Pitino, screw Louisville.  

2013 Michigan BBALL will always be champions.