thefunk

3.29.13 Michigan v. Kansas

What a game. I really didn't expect McGary to have that kind of night. He outscored and out-rebounded Withey without even getting close to foul trouble. Very impressive.

Wow. I didn't think there was any way they were beating Kansas. What a comeback.

What a game. I really didn't expect McGary to have that kind of night. He outscored and out-rebounded Withey without even getting close to foul trouble. Very impressive.

what I find interesting is that it seems like Withey was really getting to them, McGary included. He was affecting the way Mitch went about his business on offense, making him change hands, etc. But he kept digging, especially when Withey left the floor. I love watching him knock down those mid range jumpers, guy is a hell of a player already and has so much room for improvement.

Burke saved the day, no doubt.

But McGary, Robinson...Hardaway...my goodness. So many spotlight moments, these dudes just do NOT play like their age.

Beilein absolutely drives me crazy sometimes, the way he chooses to rotate players, especially when he decides to rotate them and the fact that he absolutely refuses to change out of the man to man defense top my list. But they are in the elite 8 so i'll just shut up and enjoy it.

Wonder why it took so long to get McGary into the starting lineup, Horford/Morgan are such scrubs, and McGary was the highest rated freshmen coming in.

Was Beilein trying to keep him from going to the NBA too? Right now McGary's stock has to be going way up, he is a highly skilled/tough big man who plays with energy. A more rugged Hansborough I think?

Wonder why it took so long to get McGary into the starting lineup, Horford/Morgan are such scrubs, and McGary was the highest rated freshmen coming in.

Was Beilein trying to keep him from going to the NBA too? Right now McGary's stock has to be going way up, he is a highly skilled/tough big man who plays with energy. A more rugged Hansborough I think?

I think McGary was making a lot of mistakes earlier - maybe because he was getting gased? I'd also guess that Morgan has been a real disappointment - they expected more, kept given him the opportunity, but it just isn't there this year. He seems to be one of those guys that has just grown out of whatever 'kid' quickness he had. Or maybe the ankle has just never been right.

McGary had foot issues and was out of shape.

Had a tendency too foul.

Can't believe someone would think Beilein would keep McGary on the bench to keep him from going pro. foolishness.

I liked this quote by Burke:

I had a more determined mind-set in the second half to get into the paint and make Withey play me so I could drop it off...

He may not have the best physique to play in the NBA, but you have to like a guard who will determine to raise his effort for his teammates to score.

Morgan is not a scrub and he still has a better handle on defensive schemes, switches and help than McGary. Look what he did in his few minutes last night...3 boards, forced a turnover, got to the foul line, got on the floor to battle for a loose ball that Robinson grabbed for a layup and picked up and successfully defended Johnson on the last play after he blew by Burke. All of that in 5 minutes.

McGary is clearly more gifted athletically and his development over the course of the season has been phenomenal. That's a tribute to his hard work and the staff. We saw last night though what Kansas scored in the paint. That tradeoff isn't as painful now that McGary has improved his man defense and become an offensive threat.