Kacie

FSD fires Larry Murphy

Because the ratings weren't there? Did anyone ever turn off a Wings broadcast because of Murph? He was never going to go down in history as the greatest color guy ever, but geez. Kind of a bummer.

Because the ratings weren't there? Did anyone ever turn off a Wings broadcast because of Murph? He was never going to go down in history as the greatest color guy ever, but geez. Kind of a bummer.

What a garbage move by FSD. I was never a fan of his as a broadcaster, but to blame and fire him over low ratings? I didn't realize third commentators had so much effect on a broadcast. I'm sure the low ratings have nothing to do with a five month lockout, a team scrapping to make the playoffs and a schedule consisting of only west coast teams.

Did they say it was ratings? Or his fault? I can see their point if they say revenue in general doesn't support a third guy though.

The story is on MLive, and Murph said he was told it was because ratings were down. Whatever the reason, just to do it midseason like this, is kind of classless. The season is almost done and they could have waited until the summer. They at least gave Goldberg the entire season and that guy was a complete disaster. I'm thinking maybe it was the glasses? :confused:

Gotta be more to this story !!!...there are a million other reasons for the ratings to have plummeted ! Heard rumors on the GM of FSD and the strange management style...Thanks to George Malik !!!

Wish it were Shannon Hogan.

I really like her. I've read people complaining about her here but I don't get it. Seems like a very positive, upbeat person that would be a lot of fun to hang out with.

Did they say it was ratings? Or his fault? I can see their point if they say revenue in general doesn't support a third guy though.

I think your third sentence probably is the answer.

I immediately thought there must be something else to it (maybe those jokes about him being drunk were true). I kind of figure maybe they either don't have the money for the third guy, or they want to groom someone else to take over the color spot from Mick? Murph, while I like him, always seemed a bit awkward doing color and even just in the studio. Seemed nervous and not very smooth. I do like the guy though and am sorry to see him go.

I immediately thought there must be something else to it (maybe those jokes about him being drunk were true). I kind of figure maybe they either don't have the money for the third guy, or they want to groom someone else to take over the color spot from Mick? Murph, while I like him, always seemed a bit awkward doing color and even just in the studio. Seemed nervous and not very smooth. I do like the guy though and am sorry to see him go.

The truth probably lies in this statement. Ratings are down, the Wings are "meh" this year, and Murphy -- as nice as he seems to be -- wasn't a natural commentator.

I haven't seen any data about the Wings' ratings being down or by how much. In many other NHL markets the ratings are up this year.

I'm thinking the Fox GM had a personal dislike of Murphy for some reason. Because how is firing him in mid-season rather than wait til the contract expires in the summer save Fox any money? Murphy wasn't going to cost that much in hotels and hot dogs over the next month.

seems like the Wings get bumped by the Piston alot to FSD+ which kind of surprises me.... i'd think that would be based on ratings. also with the tigers having huge ratings you'd think money wouldnt be an issue with FSD.... unless they are saving money for the next deal

Edited by Todd

I strongly believe something else is going on here. Either budget cuts (why can't they just say that, people understand that) or somebody in management or with the team just didn't like him. This is something that usually happens in the offseason - so it's not just ratings.

I agree, something just doesn't sound right.

I had noticed that Mickey was making all these road trips of late, but my thinking was that with it being the short season, he was more up for it health wise. Could it be Mickey is doing well and wanted to be full time again? Seems odd at his age, but just a random thought.

Murph was a really likeable guy, but he really kind of struggled as a commentator. I saw him on the NHL network perodically and he wasn't any better there either. When they were having those tryouts with the various old players, back when Mickey first decided not to travel, I thought he was one of the worst ones. He never really seemed to get better either. That said, he kind of grew on me, goofy glasses and all, and I think Fox management treated him poorly. Not that it was like firing Ernie Harwell, but Detroit fans tend to become attatched to the broadcast guys and I don't think the firing will be well received by the fans.

seems like the Wings get bumped by the Piston alot to FSD+ which kind of surprises me.... i'd think that would be based on ratings. also with the tigers having huge ratings you'd think money wouldnt be an issue with FSD.... unless they are saving money for the next deal

In the past it was usually the Pistons knocked to FSD+ unless the Pistons were playing Miami, Boston or something like that.

That probably has to do more with the lockout changing the Wings' schedule. At least that's my guess.

I'm out of market and watch the Wings on GameCenter so I don't necessarily know if it's airing in Michigan on FSD or FSD+. But having done all the game threads this year, I can think of only a few times that the Wings were listed on the Wings' site and on FSD's Facebook page as being on + rather than main. It's been more common for them to have been knocked down to 1270 AM from 97.1

With the Wings moving to the East next year and with Murphy being an ex-Leaf as well, there could be a need for a guy like him from any of TSN, Sportsnet or HNIC. Having said that, I don't really think he's that great at what he does.

Well Mickey Redmond is awful. Id rather listen to Murphy than him. So I am not a fan of this move.

I love the Mick. He still cracks me up after all these years. He is repetitive, but I'll miss him when he's gone.

• Like 1

I wonder if they'll add anyone to the broadcast team for the rest of the season.

I saw someone with a Wings Stu Grimson jersey at the Pond this weekend. He's actually a pretty good color guy for the Predators' radio team, I enjoy listening to him.

I don't know how much effect a facebook page can have on public relations, but if it does have an effect, this is a PR disaster over at FSD's. Post after post after post stretching far on down the page about Murph being let go. I would have thought things would cool down a day or two after the firing but fans are still writing in by the hour in protest of Murph being let go.