lordstanley

Playoff Watch Thread: Extend The 21-Year Streak

So the Wings can't clinch Friday but it is still worth cheering for Edmonton tonight. If the Wild lose in regulation tonight and lose in regulation Saturday, the Wings will be in no matter what. More realistically, one regulation loss by Minnesota either tonight or tomorrow and the Wings will come 7th if the Wings win tomorrow.

By the way, with 9th place Winnipeg completing their regular season already with 51 points, it turns out that 52 points would have been enough for the Eastern playoff teams to have made the playoffs. Columbus potentially could end up with 55 points yet miss the playoffs while Washington with 55 points wins the Southeast Division. And Rick Nash's move to NYR has gained him a grand total of 1 point in the standings.

Edited by lordstanley

Western Conference

Clinched a Playoff Spot:

1. Chicago Blackhawks, 75 points (46 GP)

2. Anaheim Ducks, 66 points (47 GP)

3. Vancouver Canucks, 59 points (47 GP)

4. St. Louis Blues, 58 points (47 GP)

5. Los Angeles Kings, 57 points (47 GP, 24 ROW)

6. San Jose Sharks, 57 points (47 GP, 17 ROW)

7. Detroit Red Wings, 54 points (47 GP)

8. Minnesota Wild, 53 points (46 GP, 21 ROW)

On the Bubble:

9. Columbus Blue Jackets, 53 points (47 GP, 18 ROW)

NHL playoff picture: East all clinched up, West still uncertain - SBNation.com

By the way, with 9th place Winnipeg completing their regular season already with 51 points, it turns out that 52 points would have been enough for the Eastern playoff teams to have made the playoffs.

Not necessarily true depending on how you look at it. You take Winnipeg out and you would need at least 54 points (potentially more if NYI, NYR, or OTT gain any more point this weekend). Just saying that if you take a 52 point team in the West and move them to the East, they would still fall short of the playoffs by at least 2 points.

Not necessarily true depending on how you look at it. You take Winnipeg out and you would need at least 54 points (potentially more if NYI, NYR, or OTT gain any more point this weekend). Just saying that if you take a 52 point team in the West and move them to the East, they would still fall short of the playoffs by at least 2 points.

You are right. But that wasn't really my point. I just meant that any of the 8 playoff teams in the East would have got in with 52. But Winnipeg for example would not have even with 53 points.

Hahaha, 6-0 Edmonton after 2 in Minnesota's regular season home finale. It would be a criminal if the Wild got in ahead of the Wings or the Jackets. The only reason they're even in the conversation is because they play in a joke of a division with Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary.

Suter and Parise get exactly what they deserve. Sign on to play with one of hockey's worst franchises over the last decade and struggle. I am so tickled and thrilled about this.

Suter and Parise get exactly what they deserve. Sign on to play with one of hockey's worst franchises over the last decade and struggle. I am so tickled and thrilled about this.

Edmonton 6 Minnesota 1 - Final. Yep, if the Wings lock up their win (let's hope!) a few minutes earlier than the Jackets, I'll be cheering for the Jackets to hang on and win and for the Wild to lose in regulation. It now appears that the Wild game starts a half-hour later than the Dallas and CBJ games - sorry, the time listings have been all over the map the past few days. I'd rather see Columbus get in than Minnesota. Dream scenario would be for the Wings to come 7th, play and beat Anaheim (channel those 2 back to back road wins last month in Anaheim), and have CBJ grind down Chicago and take them long.

Wild have been outscored 17-4 in past 4 games. Unfortunately for the Wings, the Wild squeezed a victory out of one of his four games.

Crazy stat from tonight. Wild lose 6-1 despite outshooting Edmonton 36-17.

Crazy stat from tonight. Wild lose 6-1 despite outshooting Edmonton 36-17.

Sounds like how the Wings have been losing the last month.

Thrilled to see how the Wings have played the past few games, but frustrated that we haven't seen more of this during the season. The team we've seen this past week may not be Cup worthy, but I don't think anyone is hoping to get the Wings in the first round. My heart tells me 7th place and a date with the Ducks would be great, but my head is saying no to the 10pm or later start times.

If they get at least 1 point today they hold the tiebreaker to make the playoffs, correct?

Yes... all they need is a point in their favor. Either from the wings getting 1 or columbus not getting 2 in regulation or OT.

Jackets win. Wild leading Colorado 2-1 with 13 to go. I won't say "Go Avs" (1996 is only 17 years ago, I haven't erased that yet) but I will say "Fail Wild Fail". CBJ deserve #8

You've gotta be kidding me. Wild get a 5 on 3 after Avs called for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for something they said to the ref on the bench. When has that EVER been called. Totally bogus.

The 22-year playoff streak recapped in 22 minutes 22 seconds. Beautiful!

Great post! I think NBC does a fine job with the playoffs, but I kind of miss Gary Thorne.

Best part of that video was seeing the blue Fox trax, haha.

The 22-year playoff streak recapped in 22 minutes 22 seconds. Beautiful!

Awesome!!!

There will never be anything like the Russian Five. It was such a thrill to be able to watch them.