lordstanley

Playoff Watch Thread: Extend The 21-Year Streak

Dallas wins in regulation. The Wings are out of the playoffs due to Dallas having two more wins, a 2 more ROW.

And Minnesota Columbus just went to OT making it a 3 point game.

The Stars are aligning against the Wings tonight.

Edited by Shinma

And Minnesota-CBJ head to OT after the Wild tie it late. Ugh. I wanted anything other than OT; a Minnesota loss in regulation actually would have been fine with me.

Dallas wins in regulation. The Wings are out of the playoffs due to Dallas having two more wins, a 2 more ROW.

Imagine it coming down to the last night of the season, Detroit needing to at least force Dallas into OT, and it is a tie game wi 5 minutes to go ... Not hard to predict how that would end.

I find embarassing fans who say they'd rather the Wings miss the playoffs so they could pick a few slots higher in the draft, or who say that the Cup is the only thing that matters so why bother even making the playoffs this year.

I find embarassing fans who say they'd rather the Wings miss the playoffs so they could pick a few slots higher in the draft, or who say that the Cup is the only thing that matters so why bother even making the playoffs this year.

I'd like to see them make the playoffs, but wow, things are not looking good. With the way Ken Holland has been doing things, and the move to the East upcoming, the future looks a little darker as well.

I see what you are saying and agree. But what I think is more embarrassing is that no one on the Wings seems to feel the heat or the pressure and has stepped it up and seized the moment to propel this team into a playoff spot. I really hate those terms like character and heart and leadership, but it seems to be sorely lacking on this team. Its like everyone is sitting around waiting for someone else to take charge. I realize Z and Pav are probably battling injuries, but how about Flip or Franzen or Kronwall or someone? Anyone? Been a frustrating few weeks watching this team. No, it is not an elite team, but there is more than enough talent on this team to at least make the playoffs.

Great post, Kacie. This whole team seems confused, from Holland on down to the players. I can accept this franchise being in a transition period but I don't get the sense that anyone in the organization knows what they are trying to transition to or how to get there. Are Illitch and Holland on the same page? Are Holland and Babcock on the same page? Are Babcock and the players on the same page? Are Franzen and Zetterberg on the same page?

Light day today, only 3 games including Wings-Preds. So the only one that matters is Chicago at St.Louis. After this afternoon game going on now, the Blues will have played same number of games as the Wings. They are currently 3 points up on Detroit. Chicago leads 1-0 after 2.

Kacie hit the nail on the head. There is no sense of urgency on this team right now. Just think to the series against the Sharks 2 years ago with how much heart they played with the last 4 games with their backs against the wall. Guys like Yzerman, Shanny, Sergei, and Nick would never let a slide like this happen because they could take it to the next level and dominate games. Hank and Pavel almost seem afraid to do this and I understand why. Neither have ever been big scorers and want to get the other guys involved. However, at times like this, these 2 must step up and make things happen. Injuries aside, Stevie played half the 02 season on 1 leg and there was never a doubt he would be out there. This team has no one like that right now and they miss is desperately.

Great post, Kacie. This whole team seems confused, from Holland on down to the players. I can accept this franchise being in a transition period but I don't get the sense that anyone in the organization knows what they are trying to transition to or how to get there. Are Illitch and Holland on the same page? Are Holland and Babcock on the same page? Are Babcock and the players on the same page? Are Franzen and Zetterberg on the same page?

My feeling is that it never entered Holland's mind that he wouldn't get Parise and Suter. He put all his eggs in one basket and when it fell through (not blaming him for that) he was left with the egg on his face. I don't think they looked into other free agents or thought about trades. He thought he could pull his old standby move and sign a couple of veterans and all would be well. I'm not a Don Cherry type at all, but at some point, the Wings have to get something besides a 5'10", 175 lb. playmaking European. All 12 forwards don't have to be defensive wizards. I'm ok with someone who just hangs out in the slot and shoots the puck and may get caught once in a while.

Chicago up 1-0 on Dallas after the first period. I really hate rooting for the Blackhawks, blah.

-Chicago up 2-1 on Dallas late in 2nd

- Minnesota with early 1-0 lead in Calgary

- Columbus scoreless with Colorado in 1st

- San Jose at Phoenix later. I might cheer for the Coyotes, as I really want a shot at 7th

- Chicago whips Dallas 5-2

- Colorado broke a tie with 2 minutes to go but CBJ scored 30 seconds later to force OT

- Minnesota appears headed to regulation win, up 2 over Calgary late

- San Jose leading Phoenix early

Columbus wins in OT. Tied with Detroit but the Wings have a game in hand and will win the tiebreaker. But oh so close to CBJ dropping a point or two tonight, darn.

Edited by lordstanley

Columbus won in OT (typo in your first sentence of post). I've been doing the same scoreboard watching, including looking at schedules for the remaining games.

Columbus won in OT (typo in your first sentence of post). I've been doing the same scoreboard watching, including looking at schedules for the remaining games.

And a big typo it was! Fixed now.

The 3 meaningful games tonight involve the teams right above us.

- Vancouver is at St. Louis. Blues are only 1 pt up on the Wings and thus is their game in hand

- Minnesota is at Edmonton. If Minnesota somehow loses tonight, the Wings could tie them with a win their 43rd game Wednesday

- LA is at SJ. Something pretty funky would need to happen for the Wings to make up 4 points in 6 games, but no downside to rooting for the Sharks to lose

Was watching the CBJ game last night and couldn't believe they tied the game after the Avs went up. Colorado had 2 amazing chances to win and missed both times, then Giguere gives up a pitiful goal at the end for the win. Would have been nice had the Avs not choked it away.

Wings just need to take care of their own business and things will fall for them.

No good news tonight. St. Louis ties up its game with Vancouver midway through the 3rd then wins in OT. Minnesota jumps to a 5-1 lead over Edmonton and is up by 2 late. San Jose leads LA 2-0 midway through its game. Looking more like 8th place is the Wings' highest likely placing.

Sports Club Stats gives the Wings a 75.3% chance of making the playoffs as of today.

40.3% now....yikes. If they do not make it they do not deserve to make it....I know that sounds simplistic as hell, but Columbus went out and beat a VERY good team while we lost to bad one.

If the Stars and Jackets both lose in regulation tonight the advantage would shift slightly back into Detroit's favor. But that's a big if. Dallas trailing Vancouver 1-0 in the 2nd in Dallas. Jackets in LA to play the Kings later. St. Louis trying to kill off Phoenix, leading the Coyotes 1-0 after 2. Wings already sitting in their hotel rooms at the Pan Pacific here in Vancouver - anyone have a message they want me to get to Babcock or Holland, lol?

patio-terrace-alt-view.jpg

Edited by lordstanley