drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

I like the Weiss signing and the Alfredsson signing. Alfie for 1 year playing with Zetterberg will do just fine, doesn't scuttle a "youth movement" at all.

I like the team, but I don't see how TSN people are saying they are favorites in the East. I think they'll be a top team, but favorite is a stretch.

I'd put them as high as 3rd behind Boston and Pittsburgh.

Leafs signed decent deals with Clarkson and Bozak today though.

And the Sens just got Bobby Ryan.

Still some rumors about Morrow of Pitt. but can't see the money for it .

Get that done and I'd consider this a very good day.

I really don't get being so stubborn about Brunner, unless he signs elsewhere for $4mm or something like that. Can Tatar match Brunner's production? I can see Brunner scoring 25-30 goals next season.

From The Chief at the Abel to Yzerman blog, historically one of Holland's loudest and most impatient critics:

Abel to Yzerman - Kukla's Korner

Eastern Conference? Meet Ken Holland, The Real Ken Holland

by IwoCPO on 07/05/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Comments (23)

Ottawa's a division rival. Hi. Ken Holland stole your captain.

Florida's a division rival. Hello. Ken Holland stole your co-captain.

Boston's a divsion favorite. Greetings. Ken Holland nabbed Daniel Alfredsson from under your noses.

And he might not be done yet.

I can't figure out the combinations yet but I do know the Wings have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Weiss, Alfredsson and Nyquist, plus third and fourth lines (no matter the combinations) that rival anyone's.

And rumblings of Brendan Morrow are out there too...accompanied by a lot of head shaking. I wanted him at the deadline, or whenever it was that Pittsburgh got him last year, and I'd take him now. Holland likes him. Uncle Mike likes him and, consequently, so do I.

It's been a huge day already. Huge. TSN "experts" are calling the Wings the Eastern Conference favorites. That's a bit much, but it does say this: "rebuilding" is not an option. Ever. Retooling, on the fly and without a thought to taking a step back, is the only acceptable mode for this franchise.

Five years we've been waiting for this Kenny. Five frigging years. Nice job so far.

Hello Eastern Conference. Meet the Wings.

From The Chief at the Abel to Yzerman blog, historically one of Holland's loudest and most impatient critics:

Abel to Yzerman - Kukla's Korner

I just don't share the same excitement. I don't think the Wings are worse today, but geez, an almost 41 year old Swede? Weiss seems to have a little more consistent offense than Flip but the fact he missed a lot of games last year makes me a little skiddish. But this is what Kenny Holland does. A winger with some size would have been nice (Bobby Ryan). Don't really like that we lost Brunner, but I guess they see Tatar as a cheaper and suitable replacement, which I'm ok with. Don't really get the buyout of Carlo while keeping Bert and Sammy. Still a lot of bottom 6 dead weight to rid ourselves of. I threw up in my mouth a little when Holland said they still want to sign Cleary.

At least with Weiss and Alfredsson we know Cleary won't be getting top 6 minutes. I don't mind him on 3rd or 4th line but I don't see where there is room for him.

Can we please not talk about buying out Samuelsson anymore? He was hurt, I'm sure they wanted to buy him out but they couldn't.

Bobby Ryan went to Ottawa in a trade. We don't have the pieces to have satisfied Anaheim.

I wonder if we could bundle a couple of forwards for a 4th/5th d-man as an upgrade over Colo.

Can we please not talk about buying out Samuelsson anymore? He was hurt, I'm sure they wanted to buy him out but they couldn't.

Yep, and let's keep him hurt all season. Can we do that? I hope he never plays another game for the Wings.

I wonder if we could bundle a couple of forwards for a 4th/5th d-man as an upgrade over Colo.

Judging by them having interest in forwards still, and already having a full forward team, I imagine they are looking to trade some forward depth for a d-man.

Updated with Alfreddson, Weiss, and Brunner and no Cleary or Bertuzzi

Forwards

08 Abdelkader

11 Alfredsson

13 Datsyuk

14 Nyquist

18 Weiss

20 Miller

21 Tatar

24 Brunner

40 Zetterberg

43 Helm

63 Andersson

93 Franzen

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Franzen - Weiss - Brunner

Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar

Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

17 Eaves

22 Tootoo

25 Emmerton

Where's Samuelssen? DEAD TO ME !

I like that more than I did a year ago.

Defencemen

02 Smith

04 Kindl

23 Lashoff

27 Quincey

48 Jensen

52 Ericsson

55 Kronwall

65 DeKeyser

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Smith

Quincey - Kindl

(Lashoff, Jensen)

Jensen probably isn't ready for the NHL yet, but they could fast track him like DeKeyser.....Wings still need another defenceman.

Bobby Ryan went to Ottawa in a trade. We don't have the pieces to have satisfied Anaheim.

I realize that. I felt like with our depth at forward, it would have been worth it to give up a prospect or two to get him. From the sounds of it, Holland had no interest in him. I do like this year's changes over last year, but a big goal scoring winger would've have really fit the bill.

Oh, so now you guys are on the Sammy hate train. Hi. I'm your conductor.

Alfredsson goes home to the Detroit Swede Wings.. i have to say i really like that a lot.

Iginla to the Bruins. Ha, we've heard that before. I guess they mean it this time. 1 year 6 million is good, I would have liked that.

Updated with Alfreddson, Weiss, and Brunner and no Cleary or Bertuzzi

Brunner's gone. Cleary is 50/50. If they do sign Cleary, they should consider resting him until Christmas. And if they do sign him, it's because Babcock loves him. Again, as long as he's in the bottom 6 and he can be skating on 2 legs, it doesn't have to be horrible, if he can contribute like he did in the playoffs.

No way Alfredsson would have signed here if the Wings had missed the playoffs, maybe not Weiss either. That playoff run was key. And while I think the team is only marginally better than it was yesterday, it's hard to say now that the Wings are no longer held in high esteem by free agents - they snagged two hot ones today.

Feb 2012-Feb 2013 were dark days for the Wings. But since then: Signed DeKeyser, made the playoffs, beat the #2 seed, took eventual Cup champ Hawks to OT in Game 7, extended Datsyuk to cover next four years, made what could well be a good 1st round pick in Mantha, got a good news report finally on Helm's back (Holland says he is better and to expect him in camp), convinced an 18-year one-team vet in Alfredsson to sign here, and signed a free agent centre with hometown connections. On the negative they lost Filppula and Brunner - only the latter is somewhat disappointing.

it's hard to say now that the Wings are no longer held in high esteem by free agents - they snagged two hot ones today.

good news report finally on Helm's back

Ottawa basically would have given him anything it looked like, and Boston wanted Alfredsson too. Blues were going hard on Weiss, who ultimately chose Wings. I don't think Detroit is a super hot spot, but I'm not sure if those exist anymore for the most part. The salary cap took that away, although some teams are more attractive as winners, but I think it does show that Detroit isn't spurned by FA merely because of it being Detroit all of a sudden. It is just the salary cap world.

Helm is on the prospect camp roster, so I hope he can make it through that unscathed.

There was never a reason to think teams didn't want to come here IMO. We missed out on Suter/Parise, **** happens.

damn it

They have to be trading people right? Eaves and Tootoo? Does anybody want them? Can't stash Nyquist in the minors again, he's ready for the NHL.

Edited by drownwithyou