drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

Samuelsson probably isn't getting bought out because his agent will fight it on the grounds that he's still injured.

Now I'm really bummed. That price is not too high, geesh.
I don't know, man. Vinnie for 5 years is stupid for Philly. He's had injury issues the last three years. Glad they signed him, not going to make them much better.

Dan Cleary for 3 years? That's just stupid. I like how he played in the playoffs, but he did not have a good season. Keeping Bertuzzi & Samuelssen? What the hell are they doing? I am expecting a big move like Stephen Weiss AND Bobby Ryan.

Doesn't sound like the Wings were even close on Vinnie. I wonder if 4 years at $5mm would have made him consider it? And if nothing short of the 5 year deal was acceptable to Lecavalier then maybe smart to walk away. But then to tie up roster spots and $ on Cleary, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi. I agree, I don't know what the hell they're doing.

Doesn't sound like the Wings were even close on Vinnie. I wonder if 4 years at $5mm would have made him consider it? And if nothing short of the 5 year deal was acceptable to Lecavalier then maybe smart to walk away. But then to tie up roster spots and $ on Cleary, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi. I agree, I don't know what the hell they're doing.

It's starting to look like last off season, only this year they might lose Brunner. This is pissing me off..........Do they have their own self-imposed Salary Cap or something? Is Ilitch cutting back on the Wings while he spends on the Tigers? Are we going to have another season where Nyquist, Andersson and Tatar all continue to rot in the minors (even though they had a great playoff). Do I really have to hear the ******** about how good Samuelssen is on the power play?

Folks, it's gonna be harder to make the playoffs in the East than in the West. Boston is already better and Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa are all trending upward. Tampa Bay is going to be a lot faster than the Wings. No guarantee they make the playoffs with the same roster they had last year, and if they do it's going to be another first or second round exit. I don't like this at all.

Hey, let's go get Brett Lebda back because we are already familiar with him.

The 3 years for Cleary thing just floors me. I have lost a lot of respect for Ken Holland.

The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 1m

The #RedWings have released GK Jordan Pearce, and made a qualifying offer on Tuesday to GK Tom McCollum, the team's 2008 first-round pick.

So looks like McCollum will be back?

I'm waiting to see if Cleary actually re-signs for three years before I complain about it. I hope it doesn't happen.

Tatar is going to be with the Wings he has to pass through waivers.

I don't think it'll be tougher to make the playoffs in the East, just my opinion.

I don't think it'll be tougher to make the playoffs in the East, just my opinion.

Right. The West is a better, tougher conference. I don't think any of Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto would have made the playoffs if they played in the West. Certainly not if it was a full season and they had to play a mix of West and East teams. No reason the Wings shouldn't be a solid 2nd in the division next year behind Boston. If they have a disappointing year it will be due to the roster and summer of missed opportunities (if that's how the summer plays out), not the conference.

I puzzle over the Cola buyout. He's only 30. Sure he's always hurt, but keep him for insurance in case Lashoff doesn't pan out and for when others get hurt. Buying out someone with a relatively low salary with only 1 year left on it seems like a waste.

As for Samuelsson, you'd think there'd be an independent doctor for medical opinions in cases like that. Or shouldn't the burden be on the player to show he's hurt? Because he's the perfect buyout candidate and I'll be ticked at him if he's still around.

Edited by lordstanley

Right. The West is a better, tougher conference. I don't think any of Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto would have made the playoffs if they played in the West. Certainly not if it was a full season and they had to play a mix of West and East teams. No reason the Wings shouldn't be a solid 2nd in the division next year behind Boston. If they have a disappointing year it will be due to the roster and summer of missed opportunities (if that's how the summer plays out), not the conference.

I puzzle over the Cola buyout. He's only 30. Sure he's always hurt, but keep him for insurance in case Lashoff doesn't pan out and for when others get hurt. Buying out someone with a relatively low salary with only 1 year left on it seems like a waste.

As for Samuelsson, you'd think there'd be an independent doctor for medical opinions in cases like that. Or shouldn't the burden be on the player to show he's hurt? Because he's the perfect buyout candidate and I'll be ticked at him if he's still around.

Carlo was terrible even when he was healthy. Look at what Holland signed last off season and what they contributed in the playoffs - NOTHING !

The part that annoys me is that they say instead of going for FA, they want to use their young players..........but you and I know that as long as Cleary, Bertuzzi and Samuelssen take up roster spots, those young guys will not get a real chance to play. I say fine if you don't want to go after FA, as long as you are serious about the young guys. Brunner, Andersson, Tatar and Nyquist were terrific in the playoffs and Andersson is probably their best faceoff man since Draper......They should all be playing 75-82 games next year, but with the CBS guys and Tootoo, I am afraid that the young guys will all play 35-45 games instead.

I wanted them to go after Ryan, the probably will not. But could you at least sign a solid 2nd line center like Weiss? He lived in this area before. The need a defenceman too.

Without CBS and with Weiss

Forwards

Abdelkader

Datsyuk

Nyquist

Sheahan

Eaves

Miller

Tatar

Brunner

Emmerton

Weiss

Zetterberg

Ferraro

Helm

Andersson

Franzen

Tootoo

Good right there, without CBS. Still could use a sniper.

Defencemen

Smith

Kindl

Lashoff

Quincey

Ericsson

Jensen

Kronwall

DeKeyser

Jensen probably isn't ready for the NHL yet......Wings still need another defenceman.

I thought Carlo played well in the playoffs. Personally I would have bought out Quincey instead of Carlo to get a little more cap space, but with Carlo's injury history I can understand their thinking. And that is only for one year anyways. It is too bad Sammy is hurt or else he'd be bought out too.

Lebrun seems to think Weis is their number 1 target, with Bozak in play too. I'll wait for free agency to play out a bit before I get upset about what is going on.

Giroux is rumored to be getting an 8 year deal with a cap hit of more than $8 million per, makes Datsyuk's cap hit look like a steal.

Bruins-Stars Agree To 7-Player Trade Sending Seguin To Dallas « CBS Boston

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the Boston Bruins and Dallas Stars have agreed to a deal that would send Seguin, forward Rich Peverley, and 22-year-old defenseman Ryan Button to Dallas for forwards Loui Eriksson and Reilly Smith and a pair of prospects.

Cod flabbit Loui Eriksson is one of my favorite players and now a division rival is going to get him. Why can't we be involved in a deal to bring him to Detroit. Come on Kenny, wake-up and do something!!! Boston is in your division next year, don't let them get away with adding Eriksson, he'd be perfect in our puck possession system with all his fellow countrymen.

But we don't have a Seguin to trade away.

Lebrun tweeted that Alfredsson is looking for a 1-year term with the choices being Boston, Detroit and Ottawa. Not sure why he'd leave the Sens, but for 1 year sure give him a big number and hope that the better likelihood of a Cup with the Wings is enough to sway him.

Habs get a Frenchman. 2 years at $4mm per for Briere. Too bad we couldn't convince them Samuelsson has French blood.

Jim Nill knows exactly what we have to trade away. I'm sure Kenny could have come up with something.

Yeah, but to me it shows that the Bruins, even though they have been to the Finals 2 of the last 3 seasons, they don't stop trying something creative (including trading away good players) to make themselves better.

The Wings used to do that. Now the Wings hang on to guys like a 14 year old clinging to his Teddy Bear......even though the thing is worn out, ripped up and dirty and smelly, that kid ain't giving that Teddy Bear up for nothin'. That's what the Wings seem to have become.

Multiple sources that Alfredsson is out of Ottawa and that the Wings are most likely to sign him. Bruce Garrioch of the Toronto Sun also mentions Boston being in the race.

Multiple sources that Alfredsson is out of Ottawa and that the Wings are most likely to sign him. Bruce Garrioch of the Toronto Sun also mentions Boston being in the race.

Holland will offer him 3 million, he'll want 3.0125 million, Holland will call that a risky deal, he'll sign with Boston, Holland will re-sign Danny Clearly, and finally hold a press conference saying "We like our team".

Helene St James and others saying Alfie to Sens all but a done deal. If so, would be a huge validation of Holland the Wings. Why else would Alfie leave the Sens other than because he feels the Wings are a top-class organization with good chance at Cup.

Nick Kypreos saying that Dallas' offer for Cleary better than the Wings'.

Oh please Jim Nill, sign Danny Clearly, please do us this one last favor!

Oh please Jim Nill, sign Danny Clearly, please do us this one last favor!

I am afraid he is going to end up in Detroit. Multiple sources saying Stars offering more money but Wings matching the 3-year term. We will see.

Alfredsson is a Red Wing!

Alfredsson signs a 6 year 96 million dollar contract ? That's crazy.

It's so crazy that it didn't happen. XYT is reporting one year @ $3+ million.

It's so crazy that it didn't happen. XYT is reporting one year @ $3+ million.

I know, I was joking.

I am not excited about this at all. I like the guy, but he's 40. What happened to Kenny Holland. Are his hands tied.

Again, if you are going toward a "youth movement" as you are telling us, then STOP SIGNING 40 YEAR OLDS !

Turns out it's $5.5 million for Alfredsson.

WXYT is now reporting that Brunner will likely sign elsewhere.

I wish XYT would get it's **** together: TSN is reporting $3.5 million with $2 million in performance bonuses for Alfredsson.