drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

I can see your perspective for sure, I just don't think you'll be able to find the same production for that price on the open market and am willing to accept the length of the contract for that.

I'm still against the $5+ million for Filppula though!

Wings in the offseason will need new deals for:

Filppula

Cleary (gone I hope)

Brunner

Andersson

Nyquist

Miller

White (gone I hope)

Kindl

Smith

Howard

Just under $18 million in space for next season.

I also keep derping on Filppula's spelling for some reason.

Edited by drownwithyou

I don't feel that Franzen's contract is team friendly at all. 7 more years at a shade under 4M for a 33 year old who tops out in the mid 50 point range is a terrible contract, IMO. (it's the length that is the issue, not the money) The Red Wings would be best served to use one of their amnesty buyouts before they are on the hook for the rest of it.

How does it make sense to give Franzen 28 million to walk away? I'm not thrilled that he will be around for another 7 years, but the Wings already have plenty of room under the cap. I'm far more irritated with paying Sammy 3 million for another year and with a NTC and another 3 million each for Colaiacovo, White, and Cleary.

How does it make sense to give Franzen 28 million to walk away? I'm not thrilled that he will be around for another 7 years, but the Wings already have plenty of room under the cap. I'm far more irritated with paying Sammy 3 million for another year and with a NTC and another 3 million each for Colaiacovo, White, and Cleary.

White and Cleary are FA after this season.

Scottish Caveman:

Winging It In Motown ‏@wingingitmotown 4m

Wings did end up signing Coreau today. Just not covered because it's been a technicality for more than a week now.

With what the teams gave up for the players at the deadline today I'm more than glad that the Wings did not make those moves. I know a lot of people here won't like that and I'm probably in the minority, but I think it is smart for the team's future. I also don't think the roster they currently have is out of the Stanley Cup question so maybe I'm crazy. My only reservation sort of is not trading Filpulla if he really wants the contract demands that have been floating around. I don't know if someone will give it to him, but there's a chance he leaves for nothing. But at the same time I don't think they're out of it, so trading Filpulla wouldn't be great for the playoffs this year. Although saying that I'm sure the Wings will probably get eliminated in the first round and everyone will want Holland fired as the worst GM of all time.

Thanks for the update.....I was puzzled what took so long to announce it , but glad it came to fruition !

Okay, start playing the young guys a lot more. If not, then it needs to be blown up. This standing pat stuff is nonsense. The last couple of years have been failures for Holland.

I don't know if anyone is into advanced stats, but I guess this Fenwick Close rating has been a good indication of teams playoff/cup success in the past (it is a rating of pucks shot towards the net, minus blocked shots, when a game is tied or within two goals). I guess 3 of 8 teams who have had a Fenwick Close of over 55% over a season have won the Cup and teams under 50% have only been to the finals twice, with one winning the Cup. Highest ever was Wings in 07-08 at 59.4%. Here are the team ranks for this year:

Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com - Advanced Hockey Statistics by HockeyAnalysis.com

Okay, start playing the young guys a lot more. If not, then it needs to be blown up. This standing pat stuff is nonsense. The last couple of years have been failures for Holland.

He just doesn't seem to be following any particular plan. He says one thing and does another. If we're committing to youth and rebuilding, then put them in the lineup.

Not saying that Gaborik specifically was the answer to our problems, but his reasoning behind not getting him don't make sense. It's like we're focusing on our youth, but yet, if not for the injuries, they'd all still be in GR to rot for another year. Jan Mursak was supposed to be a top prospect last year, now no one wants him for free. Is Corey Emmerton really the future of our team? Are these some of our prized prospects that can't be parted with?

Gaborik isn't worth 7 mil for one season, but he'll sign Samuelsson for 2 seasons for 6 mil and a NTC. He'll probably sign Flip for 5mil for 5 years. Colaiacovo for 2 years and 6 million.

Yep, we will rarely have a better chance to pick up a 40 goal scorer than we did yesterday. The price was not steep at all. And with only one year left on it Gaborik's contract would not have been an albatross. It is another missed opportunity, just like Semin was last summer. What reason are we giving Datsyuk to stick around?

Yep, we will rarely have a better chance to pick up a 40 goal scorer than we did yesterday. The price was not steep at all. And with only one year left on it Gaborik's contract would not have been an albatross. It is another missed opportunity, just like Semin was last summer. What reason are we giving Datsyuk to stick around?

Again, what good are prospects if (A) you aren't using them to trade for what you need or (B) playing the ones that are supposed to be ready. Nyquist, Andersson, Tatar, Mursak, Emmerton won't really get better playing anymore in Grand Rapids and we won't know how good they are if they are buried with the 4th line playing 8 minutes a night and not playing on special teams.

It was time to trade Filpula. He's not living up to what all of us thought - maybe because of Babcock's style of play. He's gonna want $5-$6 million next year. Is he worth that? No way.

But keep playing Cleary all the time (and I hate to bag on him so much because he gave us alot, but hes done). Samuelsson is the Wings version of Don Kelly - gives the team an occasionaly 'atta boy in the postseason, but he's not all that good.

I don't know what they are doing - but they will be first round and out.

And they really miss Tomas Holmstrom because nobody on this team is really even trying to do what he did. They need to buy out Franzen - he just looks done.

One season at 7.5 million is still almost half of the Wings' cap space next season without Filppula, Cleary, Brunner, Andersson, Nyquist, Miller, White, Kindl, Smith, or Howard signed. I imagine you all would want a few of them back next year....

I haven't crunched the numbers but I don't think the cap would be a problem. Howard will be a decent payday. Let Cleary and White walk. Andersson, Nyquist, Miller, Smith and Brunner won't cost much. If that isn't enough room to sign Filppula, fine, Gaborik is much better.

Wings will have just under 18 million in cap space, so we'll just call it 18. With Gaborik it'll be 10.5 in space. Howard is at $2.25 million right now, and will most definitely get a raise. We could look at Quick's contract to get a comparison, although he did win the Cup and is a little younger so we'll figure that Jimmy gets a little less than him. Quick is at 5.8 per year, I'll downgrade Howard to straight $4.5, which is actually what Cory Schneider will have, less than a lot of other goalies (I think he could get closer to $5 million or so). So that's $6 million. Brunner is at $1.35 this year, I'm guessing he'll get a raise. Considering Samuelsson/Filpulla got $3 million a year we can say that. $3 millon left after that. Helm got a cap hit just under $1 million when he first hit RFA status. So we can say that Andersson and Nyquist will get a million each. That leaves $1 million. Don't have Kindl or Smith signed. Don't have Miller either. I don't see it working.

Wings will have just under 18 million in cap space, so we'll just call it 18. With Gaborik it'll be 10.5 in space. Howard is at $2.25 million right now, and will most definitely get a raise. We could look at Quick's contract to get a comparison, although he did win the Cup and is a little younger so we'll figure that Jimmy gets a little less than him. Quick is at 5.8 per year, I'll downgrade Howard to straight $4.5, which is actually what Cory Schneider will have, less than a lot of other goalies (I think he could get closer to $5 million or so). So that's $6 million. Brunner is at $1.35 this year, I'm guessing he'll get a raise. Considering Samuelsson/Filpulla got $3 million a year we can say that. $3 millon left after that. Helm got a cap hit just under $1 million when he first hit RFA status. So we can say that Andersson and Nyquist will get a million each. That leaves $1 million. Don't have Kindl or Smith signed. Don't have Miller either. I don't see it working.

Keep in mind that all NHL teams get to buy out players (I want to say 2) at the end of this season. You don't think shedding Sammy and Cola for Gaborik would be worth it? Even if he had a really off season and only scored 20 goals, that's still a huge upgrade for about the same money.

I agree wholeheartedly with MCS. It makes no sense to stockpile "prospects" only to have them up and down from GR, have them on the 4th line and generally let them overripen until they are worthless. The chances you'll get a player who will be a consistent 30-40 goal scorer like Gaborik are slim at best.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think it has to be Stanley Cup or nothing. I think lasting another round in the playoffs is worth something.

The rumors out of Finland are that Pulkkinen is coming over to play for Grand Rapids. No confirmation either way that I've seen.

Apparently Babcock said today that he doesn't expect Helm back this season, as he's not close to returning.

Weren't Helm and Bertuzzi our "deadline acquisitions"? Trying really hard not to be frustrated, but I felt all along that Helm wouldn't be back this season. I felt like the Wings were just stringing the fans all along and then they're going to play the injury card if they don't make the playoffs or exit early.

Howard has been great this year, sometimes stealing games for the Wings, but six years is a lot of years. Especially with Mrazek waiting in the wings.

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer 8m

#redwings Howard will be 10th highest paid #NHL GT. Rinne ($7 mill) No. 1. Only 2 - Ward ($6.4 mill) & Fleury ($5.5 mill) - have won Cup.

A little more than my estimate earlier in the thread when calculating cap room/re-signing people, but I was being very cautious with the raises I was giving.

Howard has been great this year, sometimes stealing games for the Wings, but six years is a lot of years. Especially with Mrazek waiting in the wings.

I'm kind of thinking along those lines too. Maybe they plan to do something similar to Ozzie and Howard with the passing the torch, and lending experience. I dont know, i'm reaching at this point. Really dislike the 6 year contract.

Dats is going to be doing an AMA (Ask me anything) on his facebook on the 13th:

https://www.facebook.com/Datsyuk13hockey

Dear Friends on April 13, 2013 from 13:00 -13:59 (military time) I will take questions from you through my Facebook instant messenger. I will reply to most questions during the day on April 13th. Please be original and ask interesting questions.

;-). With love, Pasha!

The length and the amount are both a bit higher than I expected for Howard (I thought 5 years at $5mm/ would get it done) but I don't see the Wings having much choice. They had to sign Howard. Howard's not elite but he's above average and has helped make our defense look passable this year.

Winging It In Motown ‏@wingingitmotown 36m

Bert will be back Thursday against the Preds instead of tonight. Samuelsson is cleared to play but ahahahahahahaha come on; he's not playing