drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

I guess this is where the forward depth helps? It's too bad due to cap space they can't call other people up though!

CapGeek ‏@capgeek 18s

With Cory Emmerton's recall, #NHL #RedWings are around $31K from the upper limit.

At least the upcoming schedule is pretty favorable so hopefully Hank and Pavel get healthy soon.

Edited by drownwithyou

Helm has an injured shoulder. Strain or sprain. MRI today. Ruled out of this weekend's games. To be reevaluated Monday.

Is the dude made out of crystal?

Is the dude made out of crystal?

Helm's game centers on his speed. He has to out hustle and out work people since he doesn't have the best hands, and really his speed is elite (you might say it is his only elite skill). He's been more of a grinder than a scorer his entire NHL career, so that speed involves a lot of physical play, checking, etc. But also a lot of small nudges and body position to win pucks. Which he's really good at. But, when you're a small player moving around at a fast rate of speed with a lot of body contact, the chances are that you're going to receive a lot of HARD checks and body play. When you get a guy with his speed playing a physical game with that small frame, he's going to get hurt a lot. When something like his back happens last year it's going to make it seem really bad. Couple it with stuff like getting cut by a skate blade, it looks really bad.

Hopefully the Wings can manage his body so he's available for the important games at the end of the season. When you mix some bad luck in there with a player like Helm he's going to be on the shelf a lot.

The Malik Report - Kukla's Korner

The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Detroit Red Wings prospect Andreas Athanasiou of the Barrie Colts is the OHL Player of the Week for the week ending December 8 after scoring twice with five assists for seven points in two games with a plus-minus rating of plus-4.

Athanasiou, a 19-year-old from Woodbridge, ON, is playing in his fourth OHL season and second with the Colts after beginning his career with the London Knights. Recently signed to an entry-level contract by the Red Wings who selected him in the fourth round of the 2012 NHL Draft, Athanasiou is 21st in OHL scoring and leads the Colts with 39 points in 28 games after recording 67 points in 66 games last season.

Team Canada World Junior Championship Roster Includes Two Detroit Red Wings Prospects | Red Wings 101 | Sports Media 101

Goaltender Jake Paterson and winger Anthony Mantha will be playing for Canada at the event, which begins December 26 in Malmo, Sweden.

Mantha was the Red Wings first-round pick in the 2013 NHL Draft. He has been scoring at a torrid pace while playing for Val-d'Or of the QMJHL, ringing up 62 points (30 goals, 32 assists) in 28 games.

Paterson was a third-round pick of the Wings in the 2012 draft. He has posted a 10-8-1 record with a 3.53 GAA and a .901 save percentage in 19 games with the OHL's Saginaw Spirit. He was on the roster during last season's WJHC in Russia, but did not play.

Red Wings' Stephen Weiss out again with groin injury, will have tests to determine severity | MLive.com

“It was good for a little bit after (the last time); a little bit sore, but nothing crazy, then it went south here pretty quickly,” Weiss said. “I’m concerned; anytime you’re not in practice and able to skate, it’s not a good feeling. So I’m just going to see what the tests say.”

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 29m

The Wings have recalled goalie Petr Mrazek from Grand Rapids. Checking, but it's probably because Howard was 'bumped' in practice today.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 23m

Mrazek will back-up Gustavsson Thursday in Tampa Bay. Howard hurt in practice today, but team believes it's a minor injury.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 7m

The Wings placed Henrik Zetteberg (back) on long-term IR to make room for Mrazek.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 4m

Zetterberg must sit out min. 10 games and 24 days on LTIR, which was inevitable since he isn't even skating yet. Can return Dec. 28 vs. FLA.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m

Ken Holland said they're shooting for Dec. 28 return for DeKeyser, Helm and Zetterberg. He said DeKeyser and Helm might be back before that.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 4m

Some good news for #RedWings: Henrik Zetterberg (back) has started skating. If no setbacks, could return Dec. 28 at Florida.

I was kind of doubting he'd be back by the 28th but this is a good sign.

Nyquist is hurt now... brings us to:

Zetterberg out

Franzen out

Abdelkader out

Weiss out

Helm out

Nyquist out

DeKeyser out

Howard out

Am I missing anybody?

8 of 20 starters injured, along with Ericsson/Kronwall/Bertuzzi/Alfredsson/Smith/Gustavsson missing time this year

How do you not fire the entire training staff at this point? Let's not pretend that this is even remotely close to being normal, 14 of the 20 starters have been injured at some point, and most of them have missed more than a few games

Oh, and of course, it's always the good players that get injured, not the scrubs like Cleary/Samuelsson/Miller/Quincey

I have no idea whether the training staff is culpable or not but Unlock's point is worth considering and something that has crossed my mind. Maybe all the injuries this year are random. And you can't blame anyone for concussion-like time off like Franzen and Abdelkader. But seems to me this is the 3rd straight year the Wings have had more than fair share of injuries. Cuts across different age groups, positions and skill levels.

This year the Wings are 9th in man games lost with 116, Anaheim leads the way with 181. They were third last year (helped by Helm missing the most with Samuelsson missing the fourth most). While it seems like a lot, I don't see this as some indication that the training staff is to blame. Dumb luck coupled with injury history (Helm's everything, Hank's back has given him problems before, etc.).

Tootoo called up, I think a roster freeze is coming too.

At least Tootoo gives 100%, I can appreciate that and hope it sparks the team a bit.

Sounds like Helm is targeting a Monday comeback and DeKeyser will play this weekend. DD coming back is such a big boost to the d-core.

A couple of news items regarding ex-Wings:

- Damien Brunner injured, likely out a month, after having a nice stretch recently of 4 goals and 6 points in 4 games

- Ian White signs with a KHL team

Brendan Savage ‏@BrendanSavage 1h

#redwings' lines at practice today: 71-31-20; 18-43-14; 8-40-11; 44-13-26

Brendan Savage ‏@BrendanSavage 1h

#redwings' D pairings this morning: 55-65; 2-23; 27-4

Brendan Savage ‏@BrendanSavage 5m

Zetterberg plans to play Saturday in Florida; Howard is shooting for Monday in Nashville

Brendan Savage ‏@BrendanSavage 4m

Franzen and Helm are still out for the near future

Mantha had a hat trick against Germany today.

Canadian-wide article on Mantha picked up by the Vancouver Sun today. Mantha has the scoring ability and the size; encouraging to see that he seems committed to working on work ethic and improved defensive zone play. If he has the right attitude, the Wings' system should be ideal for getting the most out of him.

Mantha turns trick while focusing on complete game

From what I've been reading about Mantha his "laziness" seems to have a lot to do with how he gets his scoring chances a la Brett Hull. He wants to kind of disappear in the offensive zone and sneak into the scoring areas unnoticed. I'm sure it makes him seem like he's "lazy" (I think we saw some of this with Jurco around when he was drafted, it seems like when he is skating he isn't giving much effort but his huge strides make him deceptively quick/hard working). It's good to see that he's augmenting this with a little physical play and some backchecking/defense.