drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

Here is my tinfoil hat theory:

Holmgren and Cleary had a handshake agreement for the 3 x 2.75 deal. Holmgren, after reading the buzz on the internet and getting his teeth kicked in by the hockey public reconsiders the guaranteed deal. While packing his car, Cleary heard Holmgren's comments regarding Cleary having nothing more than a PTO and that no deal was done. This, naturally pissed him off so he called up Holland for one last attempt.

Cleary said on Sunday he wouldn't go to anyone's camp without a contract. I don't see how that much could change in 3 days. He thought he had a deal with Philly. When Philly said, not so fast (a day later, I might add), Cleary bounced.

Here is my tinfoil hat theory:

Holmgren and Cleary had a handshake agreement for the 3 x 2.75 deal. Holmgren, after reading the buzz on the internet and getting his teeth kicked in by the hockey public reconsiders the guaranteed deal. While packing his car, Cleary heard Holmgren's comments regarding Cleary having nothing more than a PTO and that no deal was done. This, naturally pissed him off so he called up Holland for one last attempt.

Cleary said on Sunday he wouldn't go to anyone's camp without a contract. I don't see how that much could change in 3 days. He thought he had a deal with Philly. When Philly said, not so fast (a day later, I might add), Cleary bounced.

The Flyers have to wait to put Pronger on LTIR and some other moves that are cap related, so the handshake agreement for the deal wouldn't surprise me. The scenario you laid out is pretty much what I think happened.

Almquist puts the Wings ahead again (after the Penguins tied it up with an assist to former Wing Chris Conner) with assists to Smith and Tatar. I'm liking that Tatar is producing.

Sounds like Eaves has a fairly serious leg injury, at least it helps alleviate some of the roster crunch at forward but I like him as a player.

I believe tomorrow is the day to have the Rosters ready for the start of the season. Emmerton is on Waivers

I wonder if Tootoo or Eaves will be dealt off too.

I'm living in the Twilight Zone really, just unreal. Gustav Nyquist played his arse off for this team in the playoffs last season. How does he get rewarded for good play and hard work, by starting the season of in the minor leagues while certified bums like Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo get a spot on the main roster. I've stuck my neck out a few times defending Ken Holland when I thought he was getting an unfair wrap by many over these past few years, not any long. It is incredulous that Nyquist is once again, at 24 years old, sent packing up to Grand Rapids to play in the freaking minor leagues. Looks like we're going to need a team palaeontologist to dig up some more fossils before the game so we can have a team actually out on the ice.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I'd be more upset if I thought Holland or Babcock felt that Nyquist didn't deserve a spot. That's not the case here. It is a roster crunch. Let's check back in a few weeks. Although if Helm does come back in a few weeks with his $2mm salary, something will have to give.

I'd be more upset if I thought Holland or Babcock felt that Nyquist didn't deserve a spot. That's not the case here. It is a roster crunch. Let's check back in a few weeks. Although if Helm does come back in a few weeks with his $2mm salary, something will have to give.

I kind of feel the same way, but signing Cleary caused that too, so I'm not happy about that.

Oh no doubt this jam is due to Holland's questionable signings. Just that I resigned myself to that a few weeks ago and today's news was no surprise. But I expect Cleary to spend a fair bit of the year on LTIR.