drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

When you already have 16 forwards signed and are 600k over the cap, depth moves are kind of stupid.

Ah, so we agree. ;-)

Now Tatar will undeservingly be stuck in Grand Rapids for another year, just great. F U KENNY HOLLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I don't follow the Wings or hockey near as much as I used to, but this feels like a depth move. Is $1.75M the going rate for a depth forward in today's NHL?

NHL Salary and Cap Hit Comparisons

Abdelkader makes about the same amount, just a little higher. It is a pretty underwhelming group.

There just isn't any room for him on the roster. Forward depth isn't something the Wings lack.

Now Tatar will undeservingly be stuck in Grand Rapids for another year, just great. F U KENNY HOLLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You spelled Nyquist wrong. Tatar is not waiver exempt.

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 18m

Just talk to Tatar. He does not sound optimistic at all. Talked about going to Russia if he can't find an #nhl home. #RedWings #drwtc

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 17m

His body language was telling me he thinks he is gone. #drwtc #RedWings

Sarah Lindenau ‏@Lindy72 12m

He said he will not to gr. #RedWings #drwtc

LOVELY

You spelled Nyquist wrong. Tatar is not waiver exempt.

I'm seeing Tatar on a two-way entry level deal and Nyquist just signed a new one way deal?

EDIT: calculated his waiver status and Tatar does have to pass through waivers. So it looks like it's NHL or Russia in his mind, but I couldn't see him going unclaimed.

Edited by drownwithyou

I'm seeing Tatar on a two-way entry level deal and Nyquist just signed a new one way deal?

Those don't have anything to do with waivers. Tatar is in his 4th year (ELC slid twice) after the draft, so he is not exempt from waivers. Nyquist was drafted in 2010, so he has one more year with the exemption.

Those don't have anything to do with waivers. Tatar is in his 4th year (ELC slid twice) after the draft, so he is not exempt from waivers. Nyquist was drafted in 2010, so he has one more year with the exemption.

Ya I confused myself, and went back and edited my post. I don't do well after two late nights playing hockey in a row and then coming to work early.

If they had succeeded in getting rid of Samuelsson, Eaves and Tootoo I would have been OK with this signing under these terms and if he gets 4th line minutes.

But Wings fans and I are begging for new blood, want to see how potential plays out. That's what made last year's playoff run so exciting. We've had our Cup with Cleary and Sammy, they ain't getting any better. Sure, Cleary had a decent playoffs, but so did Brunner.

This doesn't mean I think Tatar is going to be a star; the jury's still out, he might flop. But I'd like to find out and would be more understanding if Tatar flops than if one of the old guys does.

If they had succeeded in getting rid of Samuelsson, Eaves and Tootoo I would have been OK with this signing under these terms and if he gets 4th line minutes.

But Wings fans and I are begging for new blood, want to see how potential plays out. That's what made last year's playoff run so exciting. We've had our Cup with Cleary and Sammy, they ain't getting any better. Sure, Cleary had a decent playoffs, but so did Brunner.

This doesn't mean I think Tatar is going to be a star; the jury's still out, he might flop. But I'd like to find out and would be more understanding if Tatar flops than if one of the old guys does.

My thoughts exactly. No idea what the purpose of this is. I was looking forward to a full season of Tatar to see what he could do.

This literally makes no sense at all unless Kenny has a trade or is going to flat out release people. Cleary served his purpose and time here but is no longer needed nor desired. If he plays any higher than the 4th line, I won't be sure what to think.

This literally makes no sense at all unless Kenny has a trade or is going to flat out release people. Cleary served his purpose and time here but is no longer needed nor desired. If he plays any higher than the 4th line, I won't be sure what to think.

This news was a total boner killer, pardon my crudeness. But this season had so much promise, so looking forward to finally seeing some youth in the lineup. Ugh. It's not like the Wings with Z, Pav, and now Alfie and Weiss are lacking leadership. Eaves is half the price of Cleary, 5 years younger and is great on the PK. At least Tootoo can drop the gloves if need be, which may come into play more this year in the East. What does Dan Cleary add that we are lacking? We have to keep Emmerton around as a center with Helm's uncertainty. Sammy and Bert have NTC, not that anyone would want them. I've heard Tatar is pissed, and I don't blame him one bit. The guy has proven all he has to prove at GR, he was the Calder MVP. He's shown he can score in the NHL, in the limited time he has been given. This move just baffles me to no end. Cleary is so visibly deteriorating. He's so painfully slow and not at all good defensively anymore. I'll be furious if this move means no Nyquist and Tatar.

Edited by Kacie

I'm going to predict Samuelsson is bought out, Tootoo and Eaves are traded for late picks, and Helm starts on LTIR.

It's fun to try, right?

This news was a total boner killer, pardon my crudeness. But this season had so much promise, so looking forward to finally seeing some youth in the lineup. Ugh. It's not like the Wings with Z, Pav, and now Alfie and Weiss are lacking leadership. Eaves is half the price of Cleary, 5 years younger and is great on the PK. At least Tootoo can drop the gloves if need be, which may come into play more this year in the East. What does Dan Cleary add that we are lacking? We have to keep Emmerton around as a center with Helm's uncertainty. Sammy and Bert have NTC, not that anyone would want them. I've heard Tatar is pissed, and I don't blame him one bit. The guy has proven all he has to prove at GR, he was the Calder MVP. He's shown he can score in the NHL, in the limited time he has been given. This move just baffles me to no end. Cleary is so visibly deteriorating. He's so painfully slow and not at all good defensively anymore. I'll be furious if this move means no Nyquist and Tatar.

There are situations in which only terms such as boner killer can adequately express one's feelings in a matter. I believe that you have used the term appropriately here. :classic:

I'm going to predict Samuelsson is bought out, Tootoo and Eaves are traded for late picks, and Helm starts on LTIR.

It's fun to try, right?

I'm hoping Helm is short term, and they get rid of Emmerton.

It's fun to try, right?

Wasn't the deal that he could not be bought out while he was still injured, or something like that? Play him in one preseason game, or even a scrimmage to establish his health, then buy his *** out.

Wasn't the deal that he could not be bought out while he was still injured, or something like that? Play him in one preseason game, or even a scrimmage to establish his health, then buy his *** out.

I think I read that Samuelsson said that he's healthy now, but you know how these offseason fluff pieces are.

I think I read that Samuelsson said that he's healthy now, but you know how these offseason fluff pieces are.

I could be misremembering this, but I thought that they were attempting to buy him out, but his agent/union were raising a stink about it because he was injured. I would think that if he plays a game of any sort, they should* be free to send him packing.

*It seems reasonable that they would be

Edited by Walt

I think you're correct, but I'm unsure how active the Wings were in trying to buy him out because his agent was so loud about Sammy not being healthy. I think he was using that tactic to show the Wings they weren't going away without a fight. You're also right about playing a game, I was just pointing out that I think very recently Samuelsson himself mentioned to a reporter he feels healthy, excited to put the injuries behind him, etc. so that would be a thing the Wings could point to if the agent tries to fight a buyout.

As badly as I want it to happen I feel like there is a 90% chance he doesn't get bought out. In my ideal world the lineup is:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader

Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar

Miller - Helm - Bertuzzi

But obviously I'm not going to get my wish!

I'm not usually too cynical, but it seems like the leaks by Holland's mouthpiece Helene St. James about a big money long-term contract for Cleary in Philly were to make it appear that Holland signing him for 1 year @ 1.75mm was a bargain. And that Cleary takes a deep hometown discount because of how great of an organization are the Wings.

Maybe this is the alarming secret: Holland and Babcock and the scouts' assessment of prospects like Nyquist and Tatar is that they don't have the talent to thrive at the NHL level?

Anyways, while I totally understand how ticked and concerned Tatar was yesterday when he was speaking from the heart, and I support him on that completely, I don't think his comments are going to endear him to Babcock and Holland. That's not the Red Wing way.

I'm not usually too cynical, but it seems like the leaks by Holland's mouthpiece Helene St. James about a big money long-term contract for Cleary in Philly were to make it appear that Holland signing him for 1 year @ 1.75mm was a bargain. And that Cleary takes a deep hometown discount because of how great of an organization are the Wings.

I think a decent amount of Philly people/outside the Wings org reported it as well, so personally I'm leaning towards the Flyers GM trying to backtrack/not look foolish by saying Cleary was only on a tryout.

This whole thing just has a rotten stench to it. I don't know why it irritates me so much on so many levels, but it does. I can't comment on HSJ, but I don't think things went down as Holland and Cleary want us to believe. We're to believe that he had an offer with Philly, Ken Holland said we just couldn't match it, see ya, then oh wait, he's only going to Philly on a tryout, when he steadfastly refused to do a tryout with the Wings. But yet there's contract terms published. Who gets a contract offer on a tryout? Then he's meeting with Babcock (since when does the coach get involved in contract negotiations?). Then the next day, St. Daniel of Newfounland is once again a Wing. It just doesn't add up.

I'm hardly an expert on hockey talent, but Nyquist and Tatar looked pretty darned good to me while they were here. But who has a need for young, fast goal scorers, when we can have old, slow guys with heart and character.