drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

Detroit Red Wings ‏@DetroitRedWings 1m

Wings open at home on Wednesday, October 2 against Buffalo

Nyquist signed for 2 years. Cap hit of 950k.

Great deal for a player that I believe will be the 4th best forward on the team.

Nyquist signed for 2 years. Cap hit of 950k.

Great deal for a player that I believe will be the 4th best forward on the team.

Good deal financially for the Wings, but pretty much closes the book on Brunner or Cleary returning.

Good deal financially for the Wings, but pretty much closes the book on Brunner or Cleary returning.

Considering they already have too many forwards (I imagine they get rid off TooToo and do something with Samuelsson) it would be incredibly strange to sign one of these guys.

edit for some more info:

Detroit Red Wings Agree to Two-Year Deal with RFA Gustav Nyquist: Reports are for $950K AAV - Winging It In Motown

Detroit now has a 25-man roster, which is two more than they're going to be allowed to have when the season opens. The excess is made up entirely of forwards, as Detroit has 16 of those under contract right now. Generally teams carry 14 forwards. Even going with 15 would be pushing it.

All things considered (including the assumption that Daniel Alfredsson makes his $2M in bonuses and that cushion is already being used), the Wings are spending $637,879 more than they're allowed to.

Fortunately, the process of clearing two roster spots will also clear the cap crunch. The Red Wings could waive their lowest-paid player in Cory Emmerton and then would only need to clear a little over $100K in cap space with their next roster move. This gives GM Ken Holland flexibility to explore some trades which involve the team retaining up to 50% of a player's cap hit in a move.

Obviously, they're not going to want to be directly up against the cap, so they'll still be looking to clear as much as possible with in reason, but with Nyquist's AAV being where it is, they're afforded the flexibility to make roster decisions which are more about player contributions than they are directly about player compensation.

Edited by drownwithyou

If Samulesson and Bertuzzi are actually healthy is year and we get rid of say Emmerton and Eaves, then i'm happy with the team.

Cleary gone. Glad to the Flyers and not the Ducks or Pens who were also pursuing him. Good for Daniel, I'm happy for him, as he admitted right to the end he didn't really want to leave Detroit. But what a ridiculous contract by Philly. 3 years @$8.75mm plus a no-trade clause. We would have exploded if Kenny had done that.

Sources: Ex-Red Wing Daniel Cleary gets 3-year, $8.25M deal with Flyers | The Detroit News

The Red Wings prospect team won the prospect tournament for the first time this year (the other teams had some good players too). Mantha had a couple power play goals in the championship game.

Yeah. As much as anyone not named Ken Holland and Mike Babcock don't want it, it's going to happen. And as a result, Gustav Nyquist is going to spend ANOTHER year in Grand Rapids.

Absolute ********.

Edited by lesgoblu02

I can usually see what Holland's plans are with regard to signings and what not, but this just baffles me. No cap space, no roster space, an old aging forward who doesn't play on the power play (or shouldn't) and doesn't kill penalties. He had a good playoff run, but was pretty brutal in the regular season in my opinion. I don't understand.

I can usually see what Holland's plans are with regard to signings and what not, but this just baffles me. No cap space, no roster space, an old aging forward who doesn't play on the power play (or shouldn't) and doesn't kill penalties. He had a good playoff run, but was pretty brutal in the regular season in my opinion. I don't understand.

I don't follow the Wings or hockey near as much as I used to, but this feels like a depth move. Is $1.75M the going rate for a depth forward in today's NHL?

I don't follow the Wings or hockey near as much as I used to, but this feels like a depth move. Is $1.75M the going rate for a depth forward in today's NHL?

When you already have 16 forwards signed and are 600k over the cap, depth moves are kind of stupid.