drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

Lol, no obvious supreme knowledge, we all have opinions. But I think things are rarely as extreme black and white as some people make them out to be. Sarah Lindenau was over the top yesterday. Tweet after tweet of doom and gloom about how the loss of these two scouts was the end of the world. She comes from the world where it is all about "prospect pool" and "young core" and "generational talents" and where the most important thing in the world is to show how "my 21-23 year olds are better than your 21-23 year olds".

Then George Malik wrote about it. Malik is broke and ill (an observation not a criticism) and it manifests in his writing with his run-on sentences and his recent tendency to post at least one expletive-exclamation mark headline per day. Some people just need to go outside and chill a bit and they'll realize things aren't all bad. No need to kick their dogs or yell at the top of their lungs from atop the Ambassador Bridge or stick their head in a microwave- which are the images that come to mind when I read their writings.

I like Winging It In Motown for passionate yet even-keeled commentary on the Wings.

This would be something that wouldn't hurt the Wings anytime in the near future, but at least 5 years down the road, if it were to hurt them at all. Anyone who's being scouted now hasn't even been drafted yet

And to be clear, just because I might think people are overreacting does NOT mean they have anything to apologize for. We can all choose to take the sport as seriously we want, the Wings as seriously as we want, attach an importance to a particular signing or issue, draw a conclusion about its positive or negative effects, and express onesself however one feels like on that topic. I don't think there is a "right way" to be a fan so I don't want to imply that I'm asking anyone to shut up, ha.

What late round gems has Hakan Andersson found since Datsyuk and Zetterberg? I feel like the Wings got in early on European players but it isn't the pipeline it once was.

Ericsson 7th Rd., Mrazek 5th Rd., Nyquist and Pulkinnen 4th Rd.

And to be clear, just because I might think people are overreacting does NOT mean they have anything to apologize for. We can all choose to take the sport as seriously we want, the Wings as seriously as we want, attach an importance to a particular signing or issue, and draw a conclusion about its positive or negative effects, and express themselves however they feel like on that topic. I don't think there is a "right way" to be a fan so I don't want to imply that I'm asking anyone to shut up, ha.

This is how I feel.

Ericsson 7th Rd., Mrazek 5th Rd., Nyquist and Pulkinnen 4th Rd.

Don't know as though I'd call those gems, nor do I think that 4th round is considered late, but ok. Haven't other scouts found NHL quality players after the 3rd round? Not trying to be argumentative, and finding Pav and Z kind of gives him rock star status no matter what, but even if the Wings lost Hakan Andersson, I don't think that it's lights out for the Wings.

Ericsson, the last pick in the draft, who was playing forward in a back town Swedish league, turning into a top 2 pairing defenseman, isn't a gem? Ooooookkkkkkkk.

Daniel Cleary isn't at top of Wings' to-do list right now | The Detroit News

Good, no need to rush into this and hamstring yourself. Wait a couple of weeks and see how things play out - it is up to Cleary whether he wants to wait or not. The Wings are essentially calling his bluff. Because they could sign him right now if they really wanted to. That is different than they'd "like to".

Do believe Mrazak was drafted out of the OHL.

Now there is a topic I could get worked up about. Canada's short-sighted, xenophobic restriction on foreign junior hockey goalies going forward. I wouldn't like it even if it meant Canada developing better goalies; given that it won't be effective with that either, I hate it.

I hope Cleary just moves on. He may have a good year or two on the bottom six with a team, he showed he had something left in the playoffs last year. But his injuries scare me and in my opinion it is time move on...

Wings should get their RFA under contract and try to deal some of their excess forwards for a d-man, which is a lot easier said than done.

He's on the Wings top 2, but I don't know as though he's a legit top 2 defenseman, and it took him a really long time to get there, but ok I'll give you E. It also goes back to the scouting vs. development thing. It wasn't Hakan that put him on defense and made him into who he is today. Even if you do count him, so that's 2 stars and one solid NHL defenseman. Has no other scout done this? I'm asking because I really don't know. Is this unprecedented or are we making more of this because we're Wings fans? I'm not a prospect geek so I don't really have any idea.

I do agree, I don't want to lose any scout, I hated to lose Christian Lindstrom with Neil Smith in the day.....He found Lidstrom, now we have a shake up , who is to say the new hirees are better, worse or ......? and we won't know for years....sometimes a scout's opinion...yea or nay on a prospect are tempered by experience and confidence in his opinions...that , most sure has been lost for awhile, hopefully a short-while .

Daniel Cleary isn't at top of Wings' to-do list right now | The Detroit News

Good, no need to rush into this and hamstring yourself. Wait a couple of weeks and see how things play out - it is up to Cleary whether he wants to wait or not. The Wings are essentially calling his bluff. Because they could sign him right now if they really wanted to. That is different than they'd "like to".

Wouldn't signing him put them the 10% over the cap that you have to be under for the offseason? Thought I read that somewhere.

He's on the Wings top 2, but I don't know as though he's a legit top 2 defenseman, and it took him a really long time to get there, but ok I'll give you E. It also goes back to the scouting vs. development thing. It wasn't Hakan that put him on defense and made him into who he is today. Even if you do count him, so that's 2 stars and one solid NHL defenseman. Has no other scout done this? I'm asking because I really don't know. Is this unprecedented or are we making more of this because we're Wings fans? I'm not a prospect geek so I don't really have any idea.

Actually Hakan saw him play one game at defenseman when his Swedish team had a ton of injuries, and had the Wings draft him as a defenseman because he loved what he saw. Soooo technically Hakan did put him on defense. I thought he played really well in the playoffs last year and I'm happy to have him in the top 4, I imagine tons of other teams would as well.

I do agree, I don't want to lose any scout, I hated to lose Christian Lindstrom with Neil Smith in the day.....He found Lidstrom, now we have a shake up , who is to say the new hirees are better, worse or ......? and we won't know for years....sometimes a scout's opinion...yea or nay on a prospect are tempered by experience and confidence in his opinions...that , most sure has been lost for awhile, hopefully a short-while .

Completely off topic, but I get the heebie jeebies when I see Neil Smith on the NHL Network. He looks like a living corpse.

Wouldn't signing him put them the 10% over the cap that you have to be under for the offseason? Thought I read that somewhere.

You can be 10% over the cap during the offseason, so unless the Wings are afraid they won't be able to shed any salary by training camp they'd have no problem signing him if they wanted.

Putting Samuelsson on the LTIR would help a bit with the cap... I wonder if they could work that. A "well if you're too injured to be bought out then I guess you're too injured to play this season!" sort of thing. It'd be hilarious to me, and help out a ton with the cap and roster space!

It would be nice, but I'm not thinking that's possible. I think the league has some stipulations about going on LTIR and if he was enough of a jerk to gripe about the buyout, I'm guessing he is ready to do the same in regards to LTIR. He also has a no trade clause. So unless he agrees to a trade, that's out. Depending on the wording of the NTC, it would prevent them from sending him to Grand Rapids. Even if they could do that, they would still be on the hook for most of his salary against the cap. I cringe at the thought of him being here another season taking a roster spot from anyone. I'd ever rather see Cleary! But he's not the type to take one for the team and ride the bench, he's probably going to complain and be a distraction. Total bonehead signing by Holland.

The thought of signing Cleary for 3 more years is petrifying for me. He played well in the playoffs but he looked old and slow doing it. I'm still perplexed about the whole Brunner thing. Would have thought he would have signed somewhere by now or the Wings would value him more than Cleary.

Holland worked on redeeming himself with Weiss and Alfredsson but the fact that Bertuzzi and Sammy still occupy spots on this team is sickening.

From various things I've read, including an article in the Macomb Daily by Chuck Pleiness, it seems the Wings can do a "regular" buyout of Samuelsson starting in August, once he declares himself healthy. Cap hit would be $1mm this year and $1mm next year. That's not perfect, but better than nothing.

From various things I've read, including an article in the Macomb Daily by Chuck Pleiness, it seems the Wings can do a "regular" buyout of Samuelsson starting in August, once he declares himself healthy. Cap hit would be $1mm this year and $1mm next year. That's not perfect, but better than nothing.

I could live with that.

It will be interesting to see whether Babcock continues playing Abdelkader high up or if he goes with a Dats-Z-Alfie line. I could see something like this:

Dats-Z-Abdelkader

Weiss-Franzen-Alfredsson

Andersson-Nyquist-Tatar

Helm-Miller-Bertuzzi

Spares: Tootoo, Eaves, Emmerton (choose 2, or all 3 if either of Helm-Bertuzzi remain sidelined)

That is a pretty solid roster of forwards.

This assumes no trades for a defenseman. I wonder whether a package of Abdelkader or Andersson + Nyquist or Tatar + Quincey or Brendan Smith would return an experienced top 4 defenseman.

Edited by lordstanley