drownwithyou

2013-2014 Red Wings Roster Moves, Injuries, Whatever Thread

I see a lot of posts get made at the end of game threads for in between game news, but not everybody looks back at those threads so I figured I'd make this thread. I know the Wings section isn't very popular, but I figure some people will get use out of seeing this so even if it is just me posting over and over I'll update this thread whenever I can.

As I posted in the last game thread, Patrick Eaves is injured, but does not have a fractured jaw. It's just sore and he's day to day, Ken Holland said.

Probably leads to:

https://twitter.com/MiHockeyNow/status/314410558516518912

MiHockey

‏@MiHockeyNow

The #RedWings have recalled Gustav Nyquist from Grand Rapids, and he’s expected to be in the line-up tonight.

Red Wings also signed some goalie depth the other day, probably doesn't mean much in the scheme of things:

Player Jared Coreau :: Statistics :: USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online

I see a lot of posts get made at the end of game threads for in between game news, but not everybody looks back at those threads so I figured I'd make this thread. I know the Wings section isn't very popular, but I figure some people will get use out of seeing this so even if it is just me posting over and over I'll update this thread whenever I can.

As I posted in the last game thread, Patrick Eaves is injured, but does not have a fractured jaw. It's just sore and he's day to day, Ken Holland said.

Probably leads to:

https://twitter.com/MiHockeyNow/status/314410558516518912

Red Wings also signed some goalie depth the other day, probably doesn't mean much in the scheme of things:

Player Jared Coreau :: Statistics :: USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online

Good idea for a thread. I'll probably start a Playoff Watch thread.

Patrick Eaves RW Jaw - Day to Day

Kyle Quincey D Face - 4-6 weeks

Mikael Samuelsson RW Finger - week to week

Todd Bertuzzi RW Back - Indefinitely

Darren Helm C Back - Who knows? Week to week, I guess

Carlo Colaiacovo D Shoulder - Day to Day (skating)

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross 2m

I hear Detroit, Edmonton, Anaheim, St. Louis, Nashville are final 5 for Western Michigan's Dan DeKeyser. With fam in Michigan-Wings favorite

Red Wings' defense grows by one (Carlo Colaiacovo); possibly two (Danny DeKeyser)? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

The Red Wings are getting deeper on defense now that Carlo Colaiacovo has been cleared to return. The bigger addition could be landing Western Michigan's Danny DeKeyser.

DeKeyser, 23, is a high-end talent who became an unrestricted free agent Saturday when his college career officially ended. The Wings already have made their interest clear to DeKeyser, who is skilled enough and mature enough to step into the NHL right away.

"The agent says they are going through (the) process and will take a few days to make a decision," general manager Ken Holland told the Free Press.

The Wings can't offer DeKeyser more money than any other team, but he's a Michigan guy -- from Clay Township -- and he has a connection to the team via former assistant Jeff Blashill, who coached the Broncos during DeKeyser's freshman year. Blashill currently is the coach in Grand Rapids. And with Kyle Quincey out indefinitely because of a fractured cheekbone, DeKeyser could pretty well bank on being given top-four minutes, including time on the power play.

Yesterday the Penguins got Brendan Morrow, today they got Douglas Murrary, D-San Jose. Morrow I couldn't care much about given his age. Murray was someone I had hoped the Wings could pursue in the off-season, I guess that's gone now.

Murray is a strong defensive d-man. The guy hits and is a presence moving people off the puck.

If only he could catch anyone to move them off the puck. He isn't the defenseman he used to be.

Yesterday the Penguins got Brendan Morrow, today they got Douglas Murrary, D-San Jose. Morrow I couldn't care much about given his age. Murray was someone I had hoped the Wings could pursue in the off-season, I guess that's gone now.

He's still going to be a free agent this summer.

He's still going to be a free agent this summer.

I imagine he won't be re-signed by the Pens since they'd have to give up another second round pick to the Sharks if they do. Though if the Pens win two playoff rounds they give that up anyways so that would make it a better bet that he doesn't hit free agency. If Murray is going to succeed anywhere, it is in Pittsburgh if they are playing him with Niskanen because he's fast enough to make up for Murray's lead feet. I was just looking at Murray's advanced stats for the year and he was by far their worst defenseman who has played over 20 games (over twice as bad a Corsi rating as the second worst player) and he was playing against the third worst quality of opposing players. Not a good look.

Back to Red Wings stuff...

Hockey's Future came out with their midseason prospect rankings for the Wings, more descriptions at the link:

Petr Mrazek improves stock in Detroit Red Wings mid-season Top 20 - Hockey's Future

1. Smith

2. Nyquist

3. Mrazek

4. Tatar

5. Jarnkrok

6. Sheahan

7. Sproul

8. Ouellet

9. Jurco

10. Frk

11. Pulkkinen

12. Lashoff

13. Ferraro

14. Andersson

15. Backman

16. Jenson

17. Almquist

18. Athanasiou

19. Quine

20. Marchenko

I'm pretty excited about a lot of these guys actually.

Also I guess Quincey didn't need surgery, so he'll be back sooner than expected. With how the D has been playing I'm not in a rush to get him or Carlo back really...

Quincey has played a lot better lately, I imagine he didn't come into the season with very good conditioning. This season I agree that Quincey > Lashoff. But for their cap hits I'd rather have Lashoff on the bottom pair for future seasons because I don't think the advantage is THAT great. But it will be interesting when the defense is healthy. Huskins on waivers I'd imagine...Lashoff back to GR? I think he still qualifies as two way this year?

Him and JV extending on the same day? Brilliant. When does he play?

Him and JV extending on the same day? Brilliant. When does he play?

If they create a roster spot for him ASAP, but haven't read anything concrete. Carlo got sent to Grand Rapids for conditioning, but I don't think that opens a roster spot.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m

Wings GM Holland has already initiated a few trade discussions with other teams. He wants a top-six winger, depth forward & top-pairing D.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 12m

Ken Holland said Danny DeKeyser won't play Sunday or Monday. Will be with #RedWings at Saturday practice, sign contract.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m

Wings GM Holland has already initiated a few trade discussions with other teams. He wants a top-six winger, depth forward & top-pairing D.

At this point, I'm no longer comfortable parting with a Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, etc. for a Marian Gaborik or Latislav Smid caliber of player. I'd rather the Wings stand pat, keep all of their prospects and make moves in the off-season. I just don't see this team as one guy away from being a Cup contender and I don't want to make the amount of trades necessary, 2-3, to make this aging team a contender.