ben9753

Cleveland, KC, or Chicago

Which team will be the Tigers biggest threat in the AL Central?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will be the Tigers biggest threat in the AL Central?

• Cleveland Indians
    • KC Royals
    • Chicago WS
    • Never count out the Twinkies

Which team in the AL Central scares you the most to contend with the Tigers? KC has some really nice parts, that if they come together, they can be pretty good. The WS were a choke job away from winning the AL Central last year, so you can't outright dismiss them. And Cleveland also has some pretty good under the radar players that if they play to there potential may give the Tigers a run for their money. Saying all this, we all know... Never count out those Twins. They just play the game the right way, of course.

Which team in the AL Central scares you the most to contend with the Tigers? KC has some really nice parts, that if they come together, they can be pretty good. The WS were a choke job away from winning the AL Central last year, so you can't outright dismiss them. And Cleveland also has some pretty good under the radar players that if they play to there potential may give the Tigers a run for their money. Saying all this, we all know... Never count out those Twins. They just play the game the right way, of course.

If we traded Porcello to Minnesota, you could make a good case that he would be their #1. That being said, I am just going to count them out now. Even the super optimistic Twinkie fans are all doom.

Your avatar has some nice parts.

Francona will have the Indians playing well.

Playing well, or playing well relative to their talent level?

I think it is the Indians. I don't know that they'll really be a threat, but I can easily see them finishing 2nd.

I just don't see that much talent on their team. The royals have an awful lot.

Chicago has enough pitching to win the division. I still expect the Tigers to win it, but that is where my primary concern would be.

I just don't see that much talent on their team. The royals have an awful lot.

I think that the Indians will have some tougher outs in the lineup. Maybe not necessarily the kind of lineup that the Tigers have, but not necessarily any easy outs either. They look to be a bit K prone, but they also appear to have gap power and some speed. Pitching will be interesting, but they have a lot of arms in camp.

The Royals have a lot of potential, but it seems to be only at the plate. Shields is a good pitcher, but what kind of pitching will they get after him?

That aside, I would suspect Kansas City could finish 3rd. I guess the middle of the division is fairly wide open. I'd say the division is Detroit, Cleveland/Kansas City/Chicago, Minnesota with 2nd through 4th finishing within a couple of games of each other.

None of the three teams comes close to the Tigers offensively. Neither the Royals nor Indians have much pitching either. The White Sox have a a good defense and could have a strong staff if they are healthy, so I'll go with the White Sox. I don't expect them to challenge the Tigers, but I think they have the best chance of doing so.

Every year we hear how KC's abundance of young talent is going to have them competing for the central title and every year they suck. I expect this year to be no different.

Playing well, or playing well relative to their talent level?

Well, better than the Royals.

I think its between the ROyals and the Sox. The Indians have such awful pitching. The Sox have a lot of talent through the roster.

Well obviously no one believes in jinxes in this thread so:

Between the Royals and Twins.......

I believe this upcoming season will be a lot like last year's. Tigers will win the division, but it will be close.

I think the Indians, Royals and Sox will make it very scary at times.

Probably the Sox will once again find a way to be the most annoying.

White Sox have the best SPs of the bunch and a passable offense, so I see them finishing second to DET, whose SPs are off the charts good—at least potentially so. I think KC’s talent is overrated. Their pitching is better, but it’s still basically a #2 and mess of 5s, and nobody in KC’s offense really scares me. (Butler remains its best hitter, but he hasn’t a lot of muscles, so ...) Cleveland might hit a ton of HRs (and K a million times) yet has pitching that could be truly egregious. The Indians better score 8-10 runs a game cuz their SPs are going to get lit up. MN could be interesting, if its lineup can stay healthy. I think its pitching will be a lot better than it’s been for awhile. That’s not saying much, I know, but it wouldn't surprise me if MN’s SPs on aggregate finish only behind DET and CWS.

Really, if all these teams stay reasonably healthy, the Tigers should win this thing in a walk. Peavy-Sale-Danks might, however, make things a bit hairy for the Tigers.

Hey Rob, good to see you log in. I'm not as worried about Sale, Peavy and Danks, If they are healthy and in top form, that would be bad news, but I doubt they all are for a prolonged period.

I think it's the Royals. I don't think they will seriously contend for it unless we have a catastrophic injury or disappointment but I do think they should finish with a low to mid 80s win total and good for 2nd place. Last year they only won 72 games(pythag 74) but between the improvements they made and the improvements they should get from within I could easily see them winning 10 more. For starters(no pun intended) their rotation should be much improved with Shields, a full season of Guthrie and returns of Paulino and Duffy(both of whom were great before getting injured last year). And if Ervin Santana even comes close to what he is capable of he would be a massive improvement over what they were throwing last year. I could easily see a 6 or 7 win improvement from their rotation with the potential to be more.

Offensively they should be better as well, particularly Hosmer. It's hard to imagine him having a worse season than he had last year, if he bounces back like many people think he could be a 2-3 win improvement by himself. Then they should potentially get a full season of their stud catcher Salvador Perez and CF Lorenzo Cain. Both of whom missed over half the season last year. Assuming they stay healthy they could be worth 3 extra wins between them. Then you tack on improvements from their other young players namely Moustakas and it's easy to see their position players collectively being 6 wins better this year.

I know there are some what ifs here but I think most of them are likely, also I don't see many clear regression candidates on their team so they're gonna be better. It's just a matter of how much and I think they're gonna be a minimum of 8 games with the potential to be more. I personally think they'll win around 85 games but finish 7 or so games behind us.

None of the three teams comes close to the Tigers offensively. Neither the Royals nor Indians have much pitching either. The White Sox have a a good defense and could have a strong staff if they are healthy, so I'll go with the White Sox. I don't expect them to challenge the Tigers, but I think they have the best chance of doing so.

I agree. Plus everyone seems to underrate the Sox every year.

When comparing teams, I break it down to the rotation, the bullpen, and the everyday lineup. For example, the Tigers score well in the lineup and rotation, but they do alright in the bullpen because of the current closer situation and how that could effect the entire bullpen.

I like the White Sox 1-4 rotation (Peavy, Sale, Danks, and Floyd), and the questions as to the #5 don't scare me that much. The bullpen seems fair if you bank on the young Reed to continue to be a great closer and then Crain, Thornton, and Lindstrom there to eat the middle innings. However I question the strength at C (Flowers), 2B (Beckham), 3B (Morel?), and CF (De Aza?). I also do not like Dunn as a DH because of the K's, but that something that seems to hurt or help the team depending on the year.

Then I move onto Kansas City. I like the rotation competition they are having right now (Davis, Duffy, Shields, Santana, Hochevar, Guthrie, and if you want to throw him in here, Chen), especially with Guthrie looking like the odd man out in this shuffle. The bullpen having virtually no veteran leadership scares me, even though Sherrill and Wheeler are both NRI's that could break with the team. I like Crow and Holland, but that is really it right now. I'm also not sure how I feel about a lineup where no player is older than 29, but I got that eerie feeling that Tejada or Nady could make this team and change all of that. I like KC, but...

Cleveland is where it's at this year! :o The rotation of Jimenez, Masterson, Myers, Carrasco, and Bauer/Kazmir/Matsuzaka gives me one heck of a chill down the back of my neck (Kazmir is oly 29 people, and Dice-K is a few starts away from a good 3/4 starter). The bullpen headlined by Perez with Pestano and Smith intrigues me, and Capps coming in as a NRI puts a little extra push on the bullpen for me. Lastly the lineups core of Bourn/Cabrera/Santana/Swisher/Reynolds can see some good action if they get rolling early on, and let's not forget they got a couple more NRI's with Giambi and Raburn just in case something goes wrong. Also this team was 5-7 against Detroit last year, and I can see that number improving this year with the additions they made. Maybe it's all the NRI's they have (which was top notch in comparison to any other team), but watch out for those Indians! They got Raburn! :P

KC now in last place. Must suck to be a Royals fan.

Yep, I was way off on the Royals. I thought for sure that they would be our stiffest competition and that they were a likely mid to even upper 80s win team. I thought guys like Moustakas and Hosmer would bounce back with solid years and Perez and Cain would lengthen their lineup even more. Boy was I wrong.

A lot can happen between now and October. Especially with the Indians.