Sign in to follow this  
thefunk

3/3/13 (9) Michigan State @ (4) Michigan

MSU now looks like the team who has some issues to work out.

Alot of mistakes by the Spartans who have now lost 3 straight games.

Michigan played ugly but in the end the W and the L are all that matter.

Michigan wins, but again they tried to piss it away at the end. Got up 7 and couldn't do anything with it in the last few minutes.

Then Beilien made some terrible switches during the Nix free throw, Horford and McGary out there when they are going to foul immediately? Come on John.

This game just makes you think they still haven't found any groove.

Wasn't pretty, but this is just what Michigan needed. The past month, and especially after the PSU embarrassment, has been really tough and I think it got into the players' heads. Hopefully this is the confidence booster that they desperately needed.

But please learn how to close out games. Up 15 to PSU last week, and they blew it. Up by 10 with under 5 minutes to go, and it could have easily been another loss.

Complaining about the refs is pretty cliche, especially after a win, but if Michigan had lost that game I'd have lost my mind. Morgan's 4th and 5th fouls after obvious Payne travels, an over and back that didn't go over the line, an out of bounds that didn't go out of bounds. TV Ted really wanted to make up for the offensive fouls early in the half I guess

Also, I can't believe Michigan won a game without Stauskas, without Robinson III really doing anything, and with Hardaway Jr playing like absolute garbage.

I know it was an ugly game, but winning by actually playing defense late and people like McGary and Lavert actually hitting some big shots was pretty nice.

The refs were brutal both ways. MSU fans have a pretty good reason to complain about some of the calls, especially early in the second half. And late in the game, some calls went against Michigan that were garbage. On review, McGary was never even out of bounds on that late turnover.

I just don't get why guys like Valentine continually get to ref these games. He is a God awful ref, and it is clear he is self-centered. Hell, even Verne Lundqvist mentioned how Valentine has reputation as "TV Ted". The guy is an attention-whore. Get rid of his ***.

what was worse the announcers or the refs?

Refs. If Dakich was doing the game, it would be a close call. I really don't mind Raftery that much, but he needs to ditch that stupid voice he does when he's excited. It sounds like he's trying to hold back a cough or he's having a stroke. Verne was pretty bad though. Lots of miscalls all game long.

I'm still pissed they never replayed the hardaway-robinson fast break lob.

I have been thinking about the end of the game and I think Izzo made a mistake calling a timeout with 4.9 seconds left. MSU never really got much of a look from the inbounds. In retrospect they probably should have just dribbled it down the court and tried to get a shot off in the last 8.8 seconds after the McGary miss. Instead they dribbled to halfcourt and had to setup a shot from the inbounds with less than 5 seconds left.

I thought Beilein made a big mistake using Michigan's last timeout on defense. Left them unable to call a timeout and put in free throw shooters at the end. Questionable coaching from two really good coaches down the stretch.

that was a fun time. Crisler is beautiful... wish I got to see it before the reno

did things ever get dicey near the end there... great poise by the Wolverines to close it out. Burke... what else can you say. He brought it today.

Only thing that sucked was that I didn't get to see my boy Nik Stauskas very much. When he came back out to the bench you could tell he was done for the day

great win !

Michigan wins, but again they tried to piss it away at the end. Got up 7 and couldn't do anything with it in the last few minutes.

Then Beilien made some terrible switches during the Nix free throw, Horford and McGary out there when they are going to foul immediately? Come on John.

This game just makes you think they still haven't found any groove.

Horford was out there to rebound thanks to some poor block outs at critical times the last few games. Mitch had Horford streaking down the court but either he missed him or didn't want to risk the TO.

I have to believe Izzo is a little stunned. He got most of what he wanted defensively, frustrating Hardaway, taking away the three and semi-containing Burke and yet Michigan killed them in the paint. That was the Wolverines plan, paint ball is what Beilein and Alexander called it in post-game comments. State had a week to prepare and a losing streak to break. I give Michigan credit for winning ugly. I'd like to see LeVert start but I don't think Beilein seems inclined to make that switch.

The way play Stauskas has been playing defense I wouldnt be opposed to that either. Plus maybe he would bring a spark off of the bench.

That game should never have gotten that close. UM gets up 10. Sparty gets a 3-point play but misses the free throw, Paine traveled on the rebound with no call & they end up getting a 3. Cut the lead in half on 1 trip down the floor. It is interesting to watch my dog when I'm watching UM or the Tigers. She freaks out. Hoping this win will give them some momentum as we head toward the tourney.

I still can't believe they won without making a 3. UM dominated in the paint. I never thought I'd see the day they could do that, especially since Beilein has taken over. That is crazy to me.

I still can't believe they won without making a 3. UM dominated in the paint. I never thought I'd see the day they could do that, especially since Beilein has taken over. That is crazy to me.

It's too bad the good kids don't stay around. I think McGary would a beast as a four yr collegian.