thefunk

2/12/13 (4) Michigan @ (8) Michigan State

01.jpg

from the JACK BRESLIN STUDENT EVENTS CENTER

in

LANSING, MICHIGAN

it's the

Michigan-Wolverines-logo-courtesy-of-Michigan-via-wikipedia-commons.png

#4 MICHIGAN WOLVERINES (21-3, 8-3 Big Ten)

vs.

Michigan_State_Spartans_logo.svg

the #8 MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS (20-4, 9-2 Big Ten)

9:00 P.M. ESPN(ET)

081225_ESPN_logo.jpg

medium_IzzoSad.jpg

Edited by thefunk

Five other Izzo teams have started the season 20-4 or better and four of them reached the Final Four.

I still think Wisconsin is better than Michigan State and UM had Wisconsin beat on the road for all intents and purposes. The Spartans are playing wounded. This could get ugly fast. Michigan could lay a big lead early on Sparty if the Spartans are not careful.

I can always count on IFC for nomination to the "biggest Maize-colored glasses" award...

I think Michigan has a good shot if they don't let MSU get up by more than 10 as they have done in seemingly every big road game this year sans Minnesota. However, I still think Adriean Payne could go for 30 and 15. At least.

Obviously nervous about this. If UM puts pressure on themselves, we're sunk. You know MSU will bring their best.

Hoping against hope we put this one away early and don't look back. Still waiting for that 'statement' game. IU did it @ ohio. We can do it here.

Given the BIG officiating, and the way UM plays on the road, I am not excited at all for this game.

Also with it being on ESPN, Dicky V will just slurp on Izzo the entire game making me want to vomit.

I can always count on IFC for nomination to the "biggest Maize-colored glasses" award...

Could be true but Trice and Harris are walking injuries right now. MSU has almost no bench.

They are struggling to beat most teams.

The Spartans did win at Wisconsin in a game the Badgers missed a half dozen free throws at the end. That was a 49-47 snorefest.

These maize glasses sure are pretty.

Could be true but Trice and Harris are walking injuries right now.

It's not just those two. Appling dislocated his shoulder. Dawson sprained his ankle. Payne's nose is still banged up.

But I don't get this:

They are struggling to beat most teams.

The Spartans did win at Wisconsin in a game the Badgers missed a half dozen free throws at the end. That was a 49-47 snorefest.

Did MSU struggle to beat Wisconsin? Or was it a snorefest?

I'll tell you what, the Purdue game was definitely a snorefest. No exciting plays, no runs by either team, pretty much just blah basketball... But it still counts as a win.

I get it that UM is a good team this year, possibly a great team, But if anyone thinks either team is going to run away in this one, I have no problem calling them out for homerism... :wink:

I know it says more about the forums than the school or their fans, but it took until this thread for me to remember that there are posters here who favor Michigan State... :cheeky:

I get it that UM is a good team this year, possibly a great team, But if anyone thinks either team is going to run away in this one, I have no problem calling them out for homerism... :wink:

Even if UM was hands down the better team (which they arent) playing on the road is just about impossible in the BIG. I think last saturday proved that.

This game could be awesome. Or it could be msu coming out and dominating because UM is playing flat which has happened twice this year already. That being said, I think if UM can keep it close for a half, msu's lack of depth (because of injuries) will hurt them and UM might be able to pull away. But it's hard to predict because who knows which UM team will show up.

Can't wait for this one. I think if UM doesn't fall behind early, they've got it. They pull an OSU or Indiana, they're done. I hope the adversity that they have faced is helping them prepare for games like this.

I think Michigan is a better team, but playing in East Lansing will be a substantial equalizer and msu will win the game.

After tonight, michigan's schedule becomes much easier, and running the table, at least until the Indiana game, is very possible.

A loss tonight means an outright championship is highly unlikely.

I still think Wisconsin is better than Michigan State and UM had Wisconsin beat on the road for all intents and purposes. The Spartans are playing wounded. This could get ugly fast. Michigan could lay a big lead early on Sparty if the Spartans are not careful.

MSU beat Wisconsin @ Madison so I'm not sure why you think they're better. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Focusing on the winner of a single game to determine which team is better sounds lie wishful thinking to me.

I personally think msu might be better than Wisconsin, but to be honest I just haven't watched enough games from each team to have a stron opinion.

Kenpom's system rates Wisconsin as a better team than msu, so I can't fault anyone for saying Wisconsin is better.

MSU beat Wisconsin @ Madison so I'm not sure why you think they're better. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Michigan would have won at Wisconsin also if not for an impossible shot at the buzzer.

Michigan is better and will be playing angry after letting that game slip away at Wisconsin. Indiana let a game slip away at Illinois and whooped Ohio State the next game. Yes Izzo is good.

Of course I am being a homer. In all seriousness I think the Spartans grab an early lead but Michigan's talent will close the gap as the night goes along and it wlll come down to the end game. Izzo is getting it done at 20-4 with less talent this year. Michigan should have got it done at Wisconsin. You cannot blame coach Beilein for the non foul he was calling for the foul. The team lost that game. Thus this game is a toss up.

Height for the Spartans they will get a lot of boards. Michigan is probably the 2nd best team in the country after Indiana. MSU maybe top 10 but in reality not much better than OhioState is that. I think Michigan will love playing at East Lansing. They love the limelight. But the freshman need to stop playing like freshman on the road. Robinson and Stauskus are key to winning this game. Will they choke or play like a #1 team?

I think the final score will be MSU 66 Michigan 64.

This should be fun to watch if both teams come to play. State should dominate inside with Payne (see Zeller) and Michigan should control the guard play with State banged up. Unless Michigan jumps out to a substantial lead early, I see State winning. Home court and B10 officiating have helped the home team greatly in the B10 and I don't see this being any different. I think Michigan is the better team and would win big at home or on a neutral court, but I'll say MSU by 5 in an ugly game. MSU: 57-52

Izzo is abusing beilein. These road games have been exposing. Michgan can not get up for big games. They fold like a cheap tent. Beilein shows no urgency.

**** this. No offense, no defense. That means trouble. This team has lost what they had going earlier this season. Only two guys on the team right now who can be trusted, and they aren't getting many touches.

It is mind-bogging to me that Michigan continues to do the exact same things wrong in every game and nothing ever improves. The team has not improved a single bit all year. The lack of defensive rotations is going to result in an early exit in the tournament again. That, and Glenn Robinson III looking like an entitled, lazy sack of nothing on the floor. It looks like he doesn't even care to be playing basketball.

Michigan looks just brutal. Morgan throws the ball into the stands during a 3 on 1 break. Down 11, this could get ugly if Michigan doesn't ratchet up the intensity.